CI Moments

wow etalton , good progress..

My CI moment..

Last night I was trying to set up my dvd recorder along with the set top box for digital captioning ( it's in it's infancy here..only for one channel has closed captions ) and I was trying at the back of the tv to connect all the cables right...I opened it from the front to see if it worked , and I went back with the manual to consult the pictures and compare if it was set up right , when I heard from the tv " Roe, come here! " in Greek..I was so stunned that I HAD to go in front to see the subs and check for myself! YEAH!!

Awesome Vivie!

as far as pitches are concerned, i have difficulty identifying some high frequencies because they sound off-key to me by one or more octaves. middle and low frequencies sound exactly like i remember with hearing aids -- only much clearer. i've tried resolving the problem with high frequencies by creating new maps, but none of the changes my audi and i have made helped.

For me if I do not have enough volume everything sounds tinny and I will miss the deep bass and the mid range of sounds meaning everything sounds high pitch. Some of the high frequencies may sounds not quite as natural as I heard before but it does not sound "off-key" I have heard from some audi's that there is not as much high frequency nerves as compared to the mid range. It did took time for me to heard the deep bass since my brain did not heard the deep bass for a long time. I am hearing plenty of high frequencies but not quite with the same detail as before.

For me if I do not have enough volume everything sounds tinny and I will miss the deep bass and the mid range of sounds meaning everything sounds high pitch. Some of the high frequencies may sounds not quite as natural as I heard before but it does not sound "off-key" I have heard from some audi's that there is not as much high frequency nerves as compared to the mid range. It did took time for me to heard the deep bass since my brain did not heard the deep bass for a long time. I am hearing plenty of high frequencies but not quite with the same detail as before.

that's really interesting, john. thanks for your comments.

i can't hear bass with my ci's -- although i could hear it before i started wearing hearing aids in 1985.

Wow..I had two CI moments today. I was at work, out on the sales floor, which I normally dread. I heard a voice shout "ET" and understood it too. I almost started to :giggle:
Then, later this evening, I heard one of my cats purr. I almost :cry: I had missed that sound so much.

Etalton that is so exciting. It feels so good not to have to focus on "if someone calls you" or "what if." It only gets better.

Enjoy your cat! My dog snores, not the best noise since it is so loud.

Wow..I had two CI moments today. I was at work, out on the sales floor, which I normally dread. I heard a voice shout "ET" and understood it too. I almost started to :giggle:
Then, later this evening, I heard one of my cats purr. I almost :cry: I had missed that sound so much.

congratulations, et! :)

by the way, tigger snores (and rather loudly i might add). thank goodness i'm totally deaf without my ci's or else i'd never get any sleep! :laugh2:

Thanks guys. I am happy, something I haven't been in a while. Though it is not perfect, my CI is exactly what I was expecting. Better than what I was not hearing before. Oh, and I have a cat that has sneezing fits. Now that is a strange sound with my CI and she can sneeze for several minutes at a time. I can also hear my dogs barking outside. That is something I have not heard in a few years. Not that I like hearing it, as it usually means another dog is in the yard, and some of them don't like my outdoor cats, so I worry.

Right now Im hearing every damn appliance beep/tick!!! It's AWESOME! Never heard the microwave beep, timer on the oven beep, ticking on a toaster oven, not even my own Sonic Alert!! Apparently when you change the time in the alarm, it makes a sound?!

Voices sound odd/low. I think my brain is still adjusting but....guys n gals, Ive never heard ANY of the sound previously mentioned in my LIFE. That's freaking insane.

i can't remember the last time i had a ci moment, but i had one a few minutes ago.

while listening to "baby i love your way/freebird medley" by will to power
on youtube i actually heard the male singer repeat the words "everyday. everyday now" -- something i've never heard before even with hearing aids. that addition to the song was awesome and makes it even more enjoyable to listen to.

for those of you who are interested in knowing what the song sounds like, listen here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KD1EQMevRA[/ame]

A shame my hearing isn't that good yet. I caught some of the words, but with speech reading. Could hear the drums clearly. Will have to come back and listen to it a few months down the road.

A shame my hearing isn't that good yet. I caught some of the words, but with speech reading. Could hear the drums clearly. Will have to come back and listen to it a few months down the road.

et,

are you talking about will to power's song, "baby i love your way/freebird medley?"

Miss Kat had a big jump this week. We have been working on auditory dicrimination. We use a closed set (meaning we use pictures of the words so she can guess easier) and earlier this week I would throw in a word that wasn't on the list. I would say "banana" and she would scream (and sign) "NO! Don't have banana". She recognized the words for meaning!

And then tonight I jumped her up to the next "Listening Ladder" level. She went from telling the difference between "scissors" and "snowman" to "pea" "pie" and "pen". That is so much harder!!

A week ago I would have thought this jump would take 6 months!!!

Today I was talking on the phone to my husband and Miss Kat was sitting about 6 feet away playing with ponies. I was telling him about our day and I said something to the effect of "Yeah, we worked on a little speech and she did great". Well, Miss Kat looked up and said and sign "Speech?" She heard and understood that word when she wasn't being directed to listen, she wasn't paying attention, and I wasn't even talking to her! She overheard me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I was talking on the phone to my husband and Miss Kat was sitting about 6 feet away playing with ponies. I was telling him about our day and I said something to the effect of "Yeah, we worked on a little speech and she did great". Well, Miss Kat looked up and said and sign "Speech?" She heard and understood that word when she wasn't being directed to listen, she wasn't paying attention, and I wasn't even talking to her! She overheard me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is really cool. Another milestone for Miss Kat.

Back