CI Moments

We can hope..and I will...
ET

:lol:

i know what you mean. sometimes the brain can be thrown into overdrive especially if it hasn't heard sound for a very long time. i'm sure your tinnitus will start to settle down soon. keep those updates coming! :)

You were right Hear Again..the tinnitus has calmed down a lot in the implanted ear. Now, if I could get it to do the same in the other ear...oh, well, can't have everything.
I am having more and more little CI moments. I can be sitting, watching TV and turn away and with some voices, I can understand them clearly without looking. Not all, just some in the "right tone". For others, still clueless, but that will improve with time, I know that now. We have a TV in our break room at work and I am sure that people will start to wonder why I just smile for no apparent reason...at least to them. I love Sudoku puzzles and do them before work, at my breaks and at lunch. But, I still listen and find myself smiling when I understand someone without looking up from my book.

You were right Hear Again..the tinnitus has calmed down a lot in the implanted ear. Now, if I could get it to do the same in the other ear...oh, well, can't have everything.
I am having more and more little CI moments. I can be sitting, watching TV and turn away and with some voices, I can understand them clearly without looking. Not all, just some in the "right tone". For others, still clueless, but that will improve with time, I know that now. We have a TV in our break room at work and I am sure that people will start to wonder why I just smile for no apparent reason...at least to them. I love Sudoku puzzles and do them before work, at my breaks and at lunch. But, I still listen and find myself smiling when I understand someone without looking up from my book.

that's great! i'm glad your tinnitus is improving. in my case, it took 6-9 months (both ears) before it started to improve. now my tinnitus only bothers me occaisionally (such as when i'm tired or sick) and is only mild to moderate in severity.

you're experience with understanding voices sounds similar to my own experience with both ci's. there were some voices i could understand on tv quite well while others i could not. i'm now at the point (although it took me a year and a half to 2 years to reach this point) where i'm able to understand 95% of the voices i hear. i used to have ALOT of difficulty understanding female voices, but that has improved significantly. i'm now able to understand almost every voice i hear. there are times where a particular voice will give me trouble, but it's not often.

After two years of 24/7 Tinnitus anything less is an improvement. I still get hit with bouts of really loud sound, but fewer and farther apart. The rest of the time, I don't hear anything other than what my processor is picking up. I also get a touch when I take it off at night ,but that only lasts a minute or two.
As for understanding, it doesn't seem to matter whether the voice is female or male. Some I get, some I don't.

Ashley got her update today. She now has Opus 2 on both sides. She seems to like them fine. The sound quality is supposed to be much better. Nice holiday gift.

Miss Kat understood the words: bread, straw, soda, garbage and more, today at lunch. I asked her for a napkin and she signed "what?" I said it again and she signed "sign it" and so I did. It was mighty cute!

Congratulations all CI Moments.

I finally had a new one. I was getting my temperature taken at the doctor's office and I finally realized how the nurse knows when the temperature is done - it beeps throughout! The first time to hear the beeps.

Cool Ashley and Faire jour.... congrats.

My ci moment, I did hear the beeps when the battery dies but weren't sure if it was actually proper beeps... since few days ago i heard proper beeps twice! and that was half an hour before batteries dies!! hurray, now i can slip away discrestly and change them before it dies rather than stop dead when talking to customer which can be embarassing!

ashleysmommy and faire_jour..that is wonderful news for both the girls.

vallee, beeps can be so wonderful now, when once they were annoying.

Charlotte, same for beeps!

My newest CI moment was having my husband say something and I was able to understand it without looking at him. The last few months have been so frustrating for him and he tries so hard.

Cool Ashley and Faire jour.... congrats.

My ci moment, I did hear the beeps when the battery dies but weren't sure if it was actually proper beeps... since few days ago i heard proper beeps twice! and that was half an hour before batteries dies!! hurray, now i can slip away discrestly and change them before it dies rather than stop dead when talking to customer which can be embarassing!

charlotte,

did you say that you heard the battery warning beeps a half hour before your batteries died? the reason i ask is because whenever i hear the battery warning beeps, they only occur 5 minutes before the batteries die.

thats correct, it was half an hour, 2 loud long beeps then silence with H2 shown on LCD (I am aware you can't see) which means low battery, Half an hour later, few fast beeps then the batteries dies and H1 (replace batteries) shown on LCD.

Last edited:
:( Well we got bad news today. Ashley's audi is out sick and we had to reschedule her appointment. Now we have to wait till the 29th. So I guess maybe the other side will be in by then and we can do both. That would be nice. Will keep you posted all the same. Thanks for the well wishes.

Hi, it's always good to hear from you and it's hoped she'll get her upgrade soon. Keep us updated.

I discovered that while I was in the hospital that I can understand voices on the intercom some of the time. I have to know the voices though or it's lost on me. Once a nurse who wasn't well informed about deafness gave me the phone over my right ear and she expected me to understand what others were saying atm.. My right ear is my "dead" ear... GRRRR.

Hear Again,

You are a mature user and your maps are probably set up for higher stimulation like mine. The low battery warning beeps from my experience vary depending on program, ambient noise, rechargeable or disposable, sensitivity and volume settings.

I notice that I have much longer warning signs on disposable batteries. Normally I get the same about 5 minute warning on rechargeable. I did recently have a situation where I had about 15 minutes on rechargeable but that was when I was resting in a very quiet room so the processor was not having to work very hard.

I have had situations running 3500 speed in noisy environments and the low power beeps happened but the batteries were not dead and lasted several more hours. Basically, the power consumption of the processor was greater than the capabilities of the batteries so basically the processor was pulling the batteries down so fast that they triggered the low battery warning. I have asked my audi about this and she mentioned that this is possible with disposable and not as frequent with rechargeable. My guess is it has something to do with the disposable batteries using Nickel and air to make electricity and that just doesn't happen fast enough if your processor is really pulling the power.

Sorry for the derailment.

For those who have said the voices they hear sound like a computer, I wonder what speed program is being used. I notice that when I run 900 and 1200, it sounds more like someone is talking behing a fan and can make understanding for me much more difficult. I have not tried anything slower. When I run my normal programs 1800 or faster 2400, 3500, I don't get this type of sound. I will say that if I listen to 1200 for a period of time 10 minutes, other people sound better to me but my voice still has the vibration type sound to it and I still catch myself asking others to repeat themselves more often.

Might be something to think about.
Steve

I had a CI moment today at the Vet's office. I went in to schedule a surgery day for my youngest cat (to be fixed) and the girl behind the desk, who I have known for a few years, commented that it was great I was able to hear again. I had answered all her questions without her even looking at me! Of course, we were the only ones there at the time, so the room was quiet, but it really gave me a good feeling.

I had a CI moment today at the Vet's office. I went in to schedule a surgery day for my youngest cat (to be fixed) and the girl behind the desk, who I have known for a few years, commented that it was great I was able to hear again. I had answered all her questions without her even looking at me! Of course, we were the only ones there at the time, so the room was quiet, but it really gave me a good feeling.

great! it sounds (no pun intended) like you are progressing well, et!

steve,

good advice.

as for ci speed, i prefer using 900 Hz on both of my ci's. i tried 1200 Hz, but couldn't make heads or tails out of what i was hearing. everything sounded extremely high pitched and indiscernable. once i switched to 900 Hz, voices and everything else i heard began to sound like i remember with hearing aids -- only 1,000 times clearer.

A couple of weeks ago I was scolding my daughter and told her, "No! get down from that chair,no,no,no!" she turned around, scrunched her eyebrows,got down,took off her implant and handed it to me(i was curious to see where this tantrum was going)crossed her little arms and stomped off.I knew then she understood the word No! it was so cute(had to hide my smile!)

steve,

good advice.

as for ci speed, i prefer using 900 Hz on both of my ci's. i tried 1200 Hz, but couldn't make heads or tails out of what i was hearing. everything sounded extremely high pitched and indiscernable. once i switched to 900 Hz, voices and everything else i heard began to sound like i remember with hearing aids -- only 1,000 times clearer.

I asked my audi about speed settings when I went for my mapping today. She said these new freedom processors are set to what they have found to work the best and it is hard to change them manually. She said older processors had easy option to change speed. :hmm:

Back