CI Moments

Don't ever come to Australia then. What we have here by the way of lethal spiders, size of cochroaches, jellyfish, etc will freak you out LOL!

We have very large cockroaches here in Texas too! They freak me out soooo much!!!:eek3:

We have very large cockroaches here in Texas too! They freak me out soooo much!!!:eek3:

(shudder) gross things. My sister in law had them living in her oven at one point (she lives in a more tropical part of Australia).

(shudder) gross things. My sister in law had them living in her oven at one point (she lives in a more tropical part of Australia).

Gross. :barf: I don't think I'd want roaches with the pot roast.

I had a really cool CI moment today. I was driving into the city to get my new CI remapped and I turned on the talk back radio. They were having a discussion about the fact that our Australian state (New South Wales) has passed a new law to make it illegal to discriminate against breastfeeding in public. Anyway, at the end of the show, they thanked their guest and when I heard her name I laughed. It was a good friend of mine who is a breastfeeding activist! I should have guessed she would be on the radio show.

Some recent CI moments:

I can hear my neighbors turn on the water when they take a shower. I hadn't realized the walls are so thin! :shock:

Today I had to get my meds refilled; I was standing in line, I realized the man ahead of me was deaf and he was doing his best to write via pen and paper methold so I stepped in and offered to act as an terp and I didn't even have to lip read the pharmacist to understand her.

Hi guys!! I wanted to share a moment that I had today. I went over to the library and I was tracking the book down that I wanted, then I heard someone announce over the loudspeaker, "(someone name) Please go to the circulation desk." The first time I was unsure. The second time they repeated it, I was pretty sure what they said. The third time, I was one hundred percent positive. That is the first time in my life I ever heard anything over the loudspeaker.

Hi guys!! I wanted to share a moment that I had today. I went over to the library and I was tracking the book down that I wanted, then I heard someone announce over the loudspeaker, "(someone name) Please go to the circulation desk." The first time I was unsure. The second time they repeated it, I was pretty sure what they said. The third time, I was one hundred percent positive. That is the first time in my life I ever heard anything over the loudspeaker.

Finally - someone who enjoys a loudspeaker....

Way to go !!

Time to share another CI moment. I was leaving the doctor's office yesterday and decided to stop by McDonald's. I usually can not hear the speaker and just hear noise and give order and pray they get it all. Today I heard it all. It sounded like she was standing right next to me.

Sound is getting better, I understand the majority of what I hear or at least what I think I hear. I am beginning to understand some of the intercom at school.

I do have a question for everyone- do you recharge your batteries every night or do you wait until they died? (advanced bionics - harmony)

That is awesome. I remember the first time I made my order via the speaker at Bojangle's and I was amazed at how easy it is to understand the voices now.

Great moments Vallee and Deafskeptic.

I can remember the times several years ago when I used to commute to London (UK) and because we'd have occasional bomb scares from the IRA it was quite frequent that people got told to leave trains or the station. Back then, I had no choice but to just copy what everyone else was doing, with no idea what was happening but guessing it was probably a security warning. I remember how frustrated I felt at not being able to understand the loudspeakers.

Had another CI moment today. It was my turn to car pool and there were three children in the backseat. Well three children + high school musical 2 cd = a ton of laughing. I don't think I really heard laughing before. I heard my child, my class, but to really hear it with three fantastic kids (8,5, and 3) was a joy.

Had another CI moment today. It was my turn to car pool and there were three children in the backseat. Well three children + high school musical 2 cd = a ton of laughing. I don't think I really heard laughing before. I heard my child, my class, but to really hear it with three fantastic kids (8,5, and 3) was a joy.

Vallee that is wonderful!! I can't wait to hear my niece belly busting laugh lol..

:) There is something about the way little kids laugh - it comes from deep inside and is spontaneous and innocent.

lastest mapping

I'm back from my lastest mapping. I think it is mapping six. I finally found the program I wanted. They added the hiRes-P w/Fidelity 120. I have to try it out. I told my audie I am not use to so many choices. I kept the 50/50. I love the t-mic. I'm not adding the t-coil I don't think I will use it often. So I am set up until November. Then I have my hearing test and word test. My last audiogram the day they activated my CIs, I was in the 30-35 db range. She explained that would be a mild hearing loss, from a profound loss in both ears. I really want to know my word test. I feel I am picking up between 80 and 95 percent of words in quiet rooms.

She did say all channels are open and working well. So I'm wired for sound.

I need to work on the phone. I guess with so many years without using it, I am worried that I will get frustrated with it. So I'm off to call everyone I know and bother them.

New CI moment for me: Today at my 3rd mapping appt. I finally got to see my favorite Audiologist since she's back after having her baby, who put her Mommy in labor the day before she was supposed to activate me. lol. So obivously she missed my activation. She was sooo excited to see me and was like "Tell me everything!!!" lol. Anyways, the CI moment fo rme? She had me do the sentence test, and I hestiated telling her "how 'bout you just do the words one?" [as I knew I'd pass that w/ flying colors] but she wanted me to try anyways so we did. When I came out of the sound booth after we were done, she looked like she was about to cry & she said "I had esitmated you'd get about 30% with your type of hearing loss. But you went from not even bothering to do the sentence test before having your implant put in to having getting 89% on your today's sentence test at 3 mos post activation! That is amazing!" I was speechless! :)
She also gave me the sensistivity & added another program since the other Audiologist only gave me 3. I go back in 3 mos to do a 6 mos post activation evaluation. :) I even told her that I am already considering getting my 2nd implant because I am simply amazed & plus I got the CI becuase I wanted to hear out of both ears, not just one. But I haven't been using my hearing aid for my left ear. So, I figured if I get my 2nd CI. I could hear out of both ears from now on. And she said that was fine, to set up an appt with the surgeon if I decided to go ahead with it. We're gonna wait a bit because of insurance purposes, we're adding on a 2nd insurance and want to be able to be able to fall back on a 2nd insurance if the 1st one declines, then we'll try the 2nd insurance to approve it and if they don't then we'll figure out what to do. My surgeon already said that he will be happy to help me fight the insurance co.

Sorry for the rambling and going off topic a bit.

And sorry for not being around in awhile - i haven't been online much lately, it has been a busy month since my 1st grader started school & the girls' activities. :)

Deafmama,

89% in 3 months? Way to go! That is fantastic. It must have been quite something for you to be reunited with your original audie, she can immediately see what a difference 3 months has made and on the other hand, it has made you look back and see how far you have come.

Good luck with the process for the second CI. I've been very happy with it so far and it seems to help my hearing in noisy situations particularly.

Deafmama,

Congrats on the progress. I wonder if it has something to do with having to right ear implanted. I had my right ear implanted in July and my results have been about the same. I scored 96% on sentences at my one month follow up.

Set2: I'm not sure if it had anything to do with our R ear being implanted, good question though!

I didn't have the test at my one month post activation so I have nothing to compare to at this time. My audi will probably re-test me at 6 months though so hopefully my scores goes up. =] If not, I'm perfectly happy with 89%!!!

Vallee: Like you, I am worried about using th ephone. I want to use it again so bad but I am scared! I don't have a CapTel phone so I can't fall back on reading what someone on the other end is syaing if I didn't catch something. :/ I stopped using the phone when I was like 18? :/ I remember using it with my last boyfriend before I met my husband. But I never used it with my husband, becuase we always just used IM's and after about 8 mos, I was living with him anyways so we never needed to use the phone. lol.

Everyone else with old and recent CI moments- congrats yall!!! :)

One more recent CI moment- yesterday at my Dr's appt with a new Dr I've never met before. I was so surprised to know that I understood the rep at the front desk and the Dr with no problem! It was amazing! :) So now I'm gonna feel much more comfortable going alone, I used to drag my husband along, esp when pregnant with our daughters. :)

Another CI moment!

At my daughters soccer game - I was had my program on to program 2 & sensistivity is still set the same as when the audiologist set it for me. While people are cheering on the kids and people having converstations all around me. I could hear very clearly what this one woman was telling this little girl from another team. Appearently the little girl wanted to look at the snack bag that I brought in for my daughters team because she didnt want whatever their team were having and the woman explained that those were for the other team [ours] and I turned around and said "Oh thats okay, I have plenty!" then I smiled in shock that I was able to do that.

With hearing aids, I would simply just hear them talking but not have a clue what theyre talking about.

Also, I was talking to another soccer Mom who I hadnt talked to before and we were walking and talking without any problem. I dont think she even noticed that I am Deaf. lol. It was neat just walking and talking and not having to worry about being left out since Im the only Deaf soccer Mom there. :P

Whee, life with CI is fantasic!

Back