CI Moments

Vallee,
Welcome and thanks for sharing that moment.
Looking forward to read man more, which I am sure will happen.

And listning to the Ipod so soon.... that's great..

ci moment

I had rheumetic fever at age 3. This caused a progressive hearing loss. I was not fitted with one hearing aide until I was 10. Then at 18 I started to wear two aides. My hearing was progressing until at 38 I have a profound severe loss.

Yes, I had bilateral implants on the 19th of July. I had to fight my insurance company for over a year to get it approved. thank goodness for organizations as Let Them Hear! I have advanced bionics in both ears.

I think it is more than making my life easier - I allows me the freedom. I don't feel dependent on others. I get to enjoy my choice of being a teacher and listening to the songs as my daughter dances.

Vallee,

Welcome to AD! Glad the CIs are working well for you. BTW, your Surgery and Activation dates are the same as mine only I am not bilateral.

crickets are driving me crazy and I'd like 'em to shut up. :P

Oh god, its that time of year again with the crickets. I haven't heard the crickets in I can't say how long. I don't want to hear them either. I have a phobia for insects.

Other the hand, congrats :) :D

Oh god, its that time of year again with the crickets. I haven't heard the crickets in I can't say how long. I don't want to hear them either. I have a phobia for insects.

Don't ever come to Australia then. What we have here by the way of lethal spiders, size of cochroaches, jellyfish, etc will freak you out LOL!

Don't ever come to Australia then. What we have here by the way of lethal spiders, size of cochroaches, jellyfish, etc will freak you out LOL!

LOL!! Steve Irwin has fully informed me with the great outback has to offer me in the 6-8 feet legged variety which has prevented me from taking that leap :)

I don't know what kind of cockroaches you got over there but the ones that New York has are pretty big. So are there rats.. :eek3:

I had the most amazing experience yesterday! My daughter had a dance event at the annual riverfast. I was able to enjoy the music and dancing. I use to just watch the dancing and the music sounded like noise, but now I was able to get the full effect with both. Of course she was wonderful. I enjoyed a few other bands. It still was difficult to make out all the words, but fun.

The Big event of the night was fireworks. I don't believe I really heard them before. I jumped a few times. The sound was unexpected. I grabbed my best friend's arm and said wow of all the things I missed. She got teary eyed. So what a nice night!

That is so fantastic, vallee!!! I love listening to bands too, but unless I know the lyrics beforehand, its very difficult to pull them out of the music (which is usually louder.)

Fireworks are *awesome* to listen to as well! Just yesterday my sweetie and his son went to catch a display - I'm so glad you are able to enjoy these things that so many others take for granted! Looking forward to hearing more about your new experiences.

I had the most amazing experience yesterday! My daughter had a dance event at the annual riverfast. I was able to enjoy the music and dancing. I use to just watch the dancing and the music sounded like noise, but now I was able to get the full effect with both. Of course she was wonderful. I enjoyed a few other bands. It still was difficult to make out all the words, but fun.

The Big event of the night was fireworks. I don't believe I really heard them before. I jumped a few times. The sound was unexpected. I grabbed my best friend's arm and said wow of all the things I missed. She got teary eyed. So what a nice night!

That's great. I'm not really that into music myself but my daughter will be attending a school that has a strong bent in music and if she gets into it, I really want to experience her recitals and performances with the band because it's a part of her.

LOL about the fireworks! At least we have the option of turning off if it all gets a bit much. You didn't use to hear fireworks before?

I must have heard them many years ago, but I don't think I have enjoyed many sounds in the last 10 years. I watched the fireworks last year and it did not sound the same way.

About turning up or down - I decided to try and not do that. I want to have to learn to filter sound. I use to joke about turning my ha off in meetings. I want this opportunity to pick up as much as I can.

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been on here in a bit. I've had quite a few awesome CI moments.

--One night, as my husband & I left our house to go pick up our daughters @ their Grandma's. I asked him "What's that I'm hearing" and he said crickets!!! I was so surprised 'cause I don't think I've ever heard 'em before. I may have with hearing aids wayyyyyy back when I was younger but I don't remember. :)

--I can now talk to hearing people without struggling so much, having to say "what?" or having to focus on lipreading!

--I can sometimes understand what my girls are saying when they're talking to each other while they're playing or while we're in the car going somewhere.

--I dont know if I mentioned this before but I am shocked at how much better I can understand the lyrics when listening to music. It's great!

Have a good week for me yall since I'm sick. :/ Stupid sinus infection.

Seeya!

Last edited:
I can only relate to the CI moment with the HA moment.... I am still constantly surprised of how I can hear gum pop while I am feeling it pop..... my kids think I'm crazy when I can have so much fun just chewing gum... because I'm like "Wow, that gum popping sounds really cool and I can feel it at the same time!" People must think I nuts... Even with all the "cool" sounds I really don't wear my HA unless I must because one causes a sore and it's too weird to just have one on.. makes me feel totally unbalanced and I enjoy the quiet...

so tell me do you get sores with CI.. I don't know much about that..

LOL! I wonder if you drive your own kids crazy with your gum chewing.

I do get my ear sore from wearing my CI and when that happens, I just get out my box and pull an extra long cord and stick that to my coil and speech processor and stick it on the other ear.

so tell me do you get sores with CI.. I don't know much about that..[/QUOTE]

No, I don't get sores on my ears, but that's probably casue I am used to wearing hearing aids all my life. But since I haven't worn a HA in my right ear for about 6 yrs, it felt strange and huge when the audiologist put on my CI on for the 1st time. It just felt super huge compared to my HA in my left ear, but within days I got used to it. :)

I can only relate to the CI moment with the HA moment.... I am still constantly surprised of how I can hear gum pop while I am feeling it pop..... my kids think I'm crazy when I can have so much fun just chewing gum... because I'm like "Wow, that gum popping sounds really cool and I can feel it at the same time!" People must think I nuts... Even with all the "cool" sounds I really don't wear my HA unless I must because one causes a sore and it's too weird to just have one on.. makes me feel totally unbalanced and I enjoy the quiet...

so tell me do you get sores with CI.. I don't know much about that..

LOL! It's good for it to be the other way round - parents driving their kids nuts from popping gum :)

I don't get sores with my CI but then I didn't used to get it with hearing aids before that. Maybe you could rub some sorbolene cream on the affected area to help?

I had an unfortunate experience with some bottled Iced tea. Let's just say there was something in the tea that should not have been there. I had to call the manufacturer and I decided I was going to try again to use the phone with my CI. Well I tried hooking the TV/audio cable to the phone and all I can say is WOW! it worked really well. The phone has been the biggest pain in the butt for me and at last success!

I had an unfortunate experience with some bottled Iced tea. Let's just say there was something in the tea that should not have been there. I had to call the manufacturer and I decided I was going to try again to use the phone with my CI. Well I tried hooking the TV/audio cable to the phone and all I can say is WOW! it worked really well. The phone has been the biggest pain in the butt for me and at last success!

That's cool. Often by experimenting, you can find something that works well for you. I hope the manufacturer sent you lots of free bottles of iced tea!

I also get sores. The ear hook rubs it. I put a bandage on it and it helps.

Oh went to a marching band competition and wow it was wonderful. I really enjoyed the "full" music. It was not even a challenge to hear it. Things are starting to sound natural not like it did at first. So a little over a month and I am being to feel comfortable.

Back