CI Moments

yay.... all fingers, legs, eyes and paw's crossed....

yay! hope that resolves your problem!!!

CI moment...

I today heard the tupperware click and lock into place..I HEARD that...and I always wondered how mum was so sure it was shut tight...I used to be all thumbs..and often , they weren't closed properly! I was amazed!!!!

Tomorrow I might not hear it though..I was a bit high from the dentists local numbing ....LOL!!!

Vivie,

LOL! Congrats on your CI moment (and Charlotte too!). :D

By the way, one way I can tell tupperware is securely closed is by feeling the snap of it close underneath my fingers. You can also run your fingers along the outer edge of the container. Just thought I'd mention that little tidbit of information for what it's worth. :)

Charlotte and Vivie,

I still have not heard from my audi, but I'm sure she'll respond tomorrow. She's pretty busy on Mondays. I'll keep you posted.

New CI moment..

I kept hearing that noise , which I attributed into cars honking...but , nah , y'day afternoon I was talking with the shopkeeper about shopping..*grin* she has the shop under my apt.

I suddenly heard that noise , and told the shopkeeper I kept hearing it..she was confused , when I told her here that noise again..and guess what ? it was a local bird cawing , and it was across a busy road , on top of a block of apartments and standing on top of the tv thingy for reception ( I don't know how u call it ) antennae I think.it was further back , and I was amazed to hear that.I couldn't believe it , my jaw was open all the way!

I can't believe I have still CI moments a year after implantation..but I think that's my fault , as I live alone and don't have anyone to help me identify the noises.but I identified that one , and it felt amazing!

Lisa , yeah , that's what I did and I had to be focused to that task for a bit,I couldn't do it with talking at the same time , or I ended up with half the tuppers not closed properly.LOL.

CI Moments. There are lots. Almost every day I have something I hear that reminds me how nice it is to be able to interpret sounds. Just today, I heard rattle inside a part I was inspecting at work before I was installing it for a test. The rattle had nothing to do with the problem with the part but I heard it in a noisy shop.

Wanted to pass along another benefit of having a CI.
Fire Alarms at work. I know these alarm tones are piercingly loud since I remember how loud it was when I could hear fine.

We had a fire drill at work today and had to get out of an 8 story building walking down the stairs. They had LOUD speakers in the stair well to make sure everyone could hear the alarm. A lot of people were plugging their ears when walking by the speaker. With my CI I was never blasted like others when walking by the speaker. I figure my max volume I hear is probably the equivalent of 80-85db, maybe a little louder but it was never painfully loud for me.

I've known this when using table saws, hammer drills, mowers, impact wrenches, air compressors, hammers, etc but was reminded again today just how nice it is to have CI's.

We all think the primary benefit of having a CI is to increase the volume and clarity so we can hear and understand sounds. We also have the benefit with the processor protecting us by keeping the stimulation within the upper limit for each of our personal situations. I know at least for me, if I start feeling loud sounds, I turn down my volume so I don't get discomfort at those loud volume levels.

Just wanted to share my thoughs on this amaizing technology and to realize how much has been learned over the years. Each one of us can provide mapping feedback to our audiologists so they can be even better with their next CI patient mapping session. Just maybe the patient before you said something that will help get your map even better. This is why I believe it is so important to share with your audi what is working and what is not.

HearAgain- Just need to clarify- You HEARD the coin hit the CARPET?!?!?! Not talking about a wooden floor here, but you actually HEARD a coin hit the carpet?

I've never been able to hear that - that's way too soft for my level of hearing. That's amazing.

CI Moments. There are lots. Almost every day I have something I hear that reminds me how nice it is to be able to interpret sounds. Just today, I heard rattle inside a part I was inspecting at work before I was installing it for a test. The rattle had nothing to do with the problem with the part but I heard it in a noisy shop.

Wanted to pass along another benefit of having a CI.
Fire Alarms at work. I know these alarm tones are piercingly loud since I remember how loud it was when I could hear fine.

We had a fire drill at work today and had to get out of an 8 story building walking down the stairs. They had LOUD speakers in the stair well to make sure everyone could hear the alarm. A lot of people were plugging their ears when walking by the speaker. With my CI I was never blasted like others when walking by the speaker. I figure my max volume I hear is probably the equivalent of 80-85db, maybe a little louder but it was never painfully loud for me.

I've known this when using table saws, hammer drills, mowers, impact wrenches, air compressors, hammers, etc but was reminded again today just how nice it is to have CI's.

We all think the primary benefit of having a CI is to increase the volume and clarity so we can hear and understand sounds. We also have the benefit with the processor protecting us by keeping the stimulation within the upper limit for each of our personal situations. I know at least for me, if I start feeling loud sounds, I turn down my volume so I don't get discomfort at those loud volume levels.

Just wanted to share my thoughs on this amaizing technology and to realize how much has been learned over the years. Each one of us can provide mapping feedback to our audiologists so they can be even better with their next CI patient mapping session. Just maybe the patient before you said something that will help get your map even better. This is why I believe it is so important to share with your audi what is working and what is not.

Yeah I had noticed that too... Yesterday there was roadworks going on outside where I work and they used the drill. My collegue was covering his ears and i thought it's not that loud!! BUT i had to turn my HA down though as it was irritating with the vibration.
And when my house mate and I went to the beach.. She has a open top sports car. She had cranked the music up really loud, I said to her "is it loud to you?" she said not really as the loudness just goes straight out of the roof top! I could tell it was really loud as of the vibration but with my CI it was perfect!

Now you have explained, I realised that.

This is not really a CI moment, but I thought it was a funny moment for CI-users. I signed up to be a sub for a softball team at work. FYI, I've played softball like 5-7 times in my life. The team needed me yesterday afternoon, so I go play with them. The first time I went up to bat, I did okay (hit the ball and ran to first base with no problem). Second time I went up to bat, I don't know if this time I wanted to hit the ball harder but when I went to swing the bat, my CI came off! The processor came off my ear (I forgot to bring the snugfit) but it was still dangling by the magnet! This happened TWICE. So I said screw this, yanked off my CI, stuffed it down my shorts, hit the ball, and ran to first base. There was a first base "spotter", and I said to him "Yo, can you put this on the bench?" and reached down in my shorts and pulled out my sweaty CI. He didn't even bat an eye and said "A'ight."

Had a first CI moment yesterday, my first mapping had only 3 electrodes switched on and were unable to hear things fully but yesterday all electrodes were switched on and was with the speech therapist doing some comprehension tests. Quite easy test involving syllables.

I had my eyes closed and she ran out of space on her pad and was rustling/tearing the paper to turn it over and saying something. I opened my eyes and said 'stop the rustling, I can't hear you above the rustling! - whowhoowhooburrbrrrushhbrrushh (intermixed with white noise - london ambulances use white noise to bounce the sounds off the buildings), was that an ambo going past?'

She stopped mid sentence and spluttered :shock: 'wha?? yeah - could you hear that?! Wow... You're not supposed to recognize that with your hearing history and only after your second mapping, for goodness sakes y'were born profoundly deaf!...you've been paying attention all these years' :lol:

I didn't know what to say to that, but had a quiet satisfaction inside me :cheers:

I can second that i did hear that in the first few maps and the audi was very pleased and bit surprised....

SHOWS that born deaf, long history of deafness, no auditory memory, can benefit from getting CI!! Only if one of hospital (they said there is no way that i would benefit from it) hasn't refused me to refer to ENT i probably would have had one 5 years ago!.

SHOWS that born deaf, long history of deafness, no auditory memory, can benefit from getting CI!! Only if one of hospital (they said there is no way that i would benefit from it) hasn't refused me to refer to ENT i probably would have had one 5 years ago!.

SNAP - I had that with my ENT doc - last year! I went to my GP to request a referral meet the CI people and the CI doc said that I'd get minimal benefit from it but left it open for me to decide, but I perserved with it and am so glad that I went through with it.

Well the technology of the CI mapping are getting better and better as time goes by. I refused the CI back in the late 80s and 90s to wait for technology to improve and for my residual hearing to get worse . Alas, I had to marry a hearie wifey so I went ahead and got the CI last year. And I am glad for the nifty remote.

SouthFella , for an adult u're plugging a lot abt the nifty remote....

CI moment today..I heard and recognized an newscaster's voice on the tv , I even knew the particular channel and newcasters name , and I was in my office area ( tv is in living room area , and it switched on after a power outage , does that a lot of the time ) I even got some words here and there.LOL...

Also heard the rain from the impending storm..when it was abt to start thundering , my CI battery died! I couldn't be bothered to replace it as I was heading for a shower.

Hi All,
I wanted to let everyone know that my son recently had surgery for a 2nd implant. Surgery is now is under 90 minutes. When my son first woke up from surgery, he wanted something to drink. After he had water he was able to talk and said can I go home now that was 30 minutes after surgery. I said you need to eat and go to bathroom. Well he did that in less 30 minutes then he said OK lets go home now. At home, we were all sitting relaxing and I heard the door open. My son was taking out the trash 4 hours after surgery. I was scared the recovery would be hardier this time since he waslk older but it wsn't. He will be turned on in a week.

Hello..

I'm living for the summer at my parents' house , which is quite a BIG apartment , and today I heard the landline phone go off from the kitchen , from my bedroom where I was on laptop , and I located it was the phone , manage to locate it too , and I saw it.Woo Hoo.I didn't pick it up as it wasn't nobody I knew.:P

Finally I can post in this thread!!

I got activated today!!

Hearing speech, different from with HA but I'm hearing it..
Sounds like Everyword or sound is accompanied by a tweet it's like listening to Mr. Rodgers Trolly talk at the same time as everyone else.:P

Back