CI Moments

I notice on Michael Chorost's website that he is having bilateral surgery on 17th December. Apparently his insurer, with whom he has been in a legal battle for quite some time has now agreed to fund bilateral implants. Maybe he'll write a sequel now?

I haven't even gotten around to reading his first book. It's on my to read list though.

I notice on Michael Chorost's website that he is having bilateral surgery on 17th December. Apparently his insurer, with whom he has been in a legal battle for quite some time has now agreed to fund bilateral implants. Maybe he'll write a sequel now?

Thanks for the info. Let Them Hear also did his appeal. It is so exciting that insurance companies are changing their policies.

I hope the change will make cochlear implants available to more people who want them.

Tousi, believe me you won't get any hate mail from me. I agree LOL! The air here is so weird but I am so accustomed to it. If I was to go to another state like Maryland with the country air that they have, I'm a mess, I can't see, I can't breathe. The minute I get back to Jersey, everything is right as rain...no pun intended

Vallee!! You heard your dog whine! Mine does too, they don't stop :) My little one has a little baby whine, very high pitched when she has no place to hide her cookie. Its great :) I'm clapping for you :)

I've read Chorost book and I just got Josh Swiller "The Unheard" from amazon yesterday. I haven't had a chance to sit down and read it yet. However, Mike and Josh are going to have a dual reading at Summit Speech School in NJ on Nov 26th. I am looking forward to going and actually see someone else that has a CI.

My moment today was hearing the booming voice at the self check out at the supermarket. She was very demanding :)

Looks like the weather is going to dip down into upper 30's tonight.... brrrr.

I am sorry if I am asking question that was already discussed - I apologize but I don't have time for search. What I would like to know - how many of you never heard those sounds- raindrops, dog whining and other - before CI?

Fuzzy

Without HA I could not hear the dog whine. The rain sounds very different - hear to discribe.

If I were in my car, the rain as there not really a sound, just knew it was there. Now the rain in a car the first time was overwhelming in a sense that I could hear it in all directions. (come on everyone help me out)

I guess it use to be the present of sounds, I knew what these sounds were, so I MADE the sounds. Now I really hear the sounds. For example, I could be watching tv without the sound and read the lips and caption. For some reason I think I hear sound from the tv, because I know the show and characters so in my mind I hear the sounds. Thats the way I felt I hear before. NOW I know if the tv sound is off, I know if it rains without looking first, I know if my dog whines without my hubby telling me, I know if the washer, dryer, and diswasher are one without touching them the see if they are, and I can hear my daughter yelling for me from her room.

How this helps.

I am sorry if I am asking question that was already discussed - I apologize but I don't have time for search. What I would like to know - how many of you never heard those sounds- raindrops, dog whining and other - before CI?

Fuzzy

I could hear most of the sounds before, including dogs whining but they now sound closer to me, if you know what I mean? Before, a lot of the sounds would be going over my head. Some sounds that I now hear but previously couldn't would be the sound of my watch ticking (discovered that by accident in bed one night) and the sound of birds' wings flapping in take off.

I could hear most of the sounds before, including dogs whining but they now sound closer to me, if you know what I mean? Before, a lot of the sounds would be going over my head. Some sounds that I now hear but previously couldn't would be the sound of my watch ticking (discovered that by accident in bed one night) and the sound of birds' wings flapping in take off.

Nods. I had to relearn many of the sounds that I could hear with the HA. In the past, I used to have to sit close to my parents' clock to hear it ticking and now I can hear it like ten feet away or so. I remember it took me a while to figure out the what the sound was and ditto for my parent's fridge. it's noiser than mine is. I'll never forget hearing the flapping of birds for the first time and hearing the sound of my parent's computer and my Mac; that was something I couldn't hear with my HA.

Nods. I had to relearn many of the sounds that I could hear with the HA. In the past, I used to have to sit close to my parents' clock to hear it ticking and now I can hear it like ten feet away or so. I remember it took me a while to figure out the what the sound was and ditto for my parent's fridge. it's noiser than mine is. I'll never forget hearing the flapping of birds for the first time and hearing the sound of my parent's computer and my Mac; that was something I couldn't hear with my HA.

*off topic* what model is your speech processor ? I read there are now three speech processors of MED-EL . Tempo,Opus1 and Opus2.

it is interesting to see you can hear clock ticking from far.I don't hear clock ticking .

Fuzzy

I've always been able to hear rain if it rains hard and dogs whining but there are other sounds that I wasn't able to hear with my HA like birds fluttering their wings or when it's raining and it's not pouring.

Since we are on a hearing sophistication binge right now, I remember the sound of pheasant wings and the rustling of the corn from whence these birds were spooked by me and took wing and this was from my hearing aid.

*off topic* what model is your speech processor ? I read there are now three speech processors of MED-EL . Tempo,Opus1 and Opus2.

it is interesting to see you can hear clock ticking from far.I don't hear clock ticking .

Med-El Tempo.

Yeah - to the point that it can be quite distracting at times. Previously, I'd only very occasionally hear a clock ticking if I was right up to the clock and it was very quiet. That's what I mean about the CI actually bringing sounds closer to me.

Thanks for your replies :)

but they now sound closer to me, if you know what I mean?

but of course :)
many times I do feel like some sounds are from far far away around me even if the source of the sounds is right in front of me.

Fuzzy

Here is my lastest CI moment - my daughter fell in the bathtub the other night. She yelled for mommy. I was wearing my ipod and on the computer reading alldeaf. I also heard her the first time and could run to check on her. She is okay just a little scared. The point is before my CIs I would not have heard her because she is in a different part of the house.

It is worth it to be able to hear my 9 year old yell for me. That is the only CI moment that matters. I was there to help her.

yikes! yest it is so good you could heard her! my, what a scary moment (shudder)... I am glad your CI is proving to be so valuable and worthwhile in many ways. Also I am glad your daughter was OK.

Fuzzy

Here is my lastest CI moment - my daughter fell in the bathtub the other night. She yelled for mommy. I was wearing my ipod and on the computer reading alldeaf. I also heard her the first time and could run to check on her. She is okay just a little scared. The point is before my CIs I would not have heard her because she is in a different part of the house.

It is worth it to be able to hear my 9 year old yell for me. That is the only CI moment that matters. I was there to help her.

It's awesome that you're able to hear your child yelling fo help. I tended to be a real mother hen around my nieces and nephews when they were toddlers because I knew I couldn't hear them call for help so I stayed close to them.

Wow. Glad she was okay! I think it also makes them feel reassured knowing that if they call out for help that you can hear and come running.

Back