CI medic alert jewelry?

wait, so you want some random worker to be tasked with inspecting your entire body, including shaving your head hair, in a critical situation, to search for scars, to avoid the effort of wearing ID?

When I was a nurse aide, we did that anyhow. So I expect them to. But I expect mostly for them to get my ID and check my wallet. I doubt people would just sent people to MRI right away (not like you see on TV). They have to prep them first.

but why the shaved head? The scar is behind my ears, not on my head. Even though doctors will shave your head for head injuries.

hospitals have been notifying the family and asking them the patient's medical history for years (plus checking their ID). It worked for many people. Sure, there may be few errors, but I think the odd of that happening is rare. Unless you have some very careless people in the ER Plus, I don't think the MRI will do that much damage other than damage my CI which is ok anyhow because I can implant my other ear if I have to.

You have to remember, I do carry a cochlear ID everywhere I go so it isn't like I'm leaving it all to the doctors and nurses to figure out all on their own, but I do expect them to take a cue and say, "wait a min. Do you notice her scar behind her ears? Go check her wallet for CI card , and even check to see a processor was found in the accident scene." I think if you are in an accident, your bracelet or necklace break off as well. I have broken many bracelet and necklaces during rough play. Lost many of them. So if your child lost her medical bracelet, does that give doctors an excuse for not checking her medical history with family, friends, or ID?

you do know that they have to remove the magnet first. so it's MRI isn't always a "rush, must do this right away thing".

When I was a nurse aide, we did that anyhow. So I expect them to. But I expect mostly for them to get my ID and check my wallet. I doubt people would just sent people to MRI right away (not like you see on TV). They have to prep them first.

but why the shaved head? The scar is behind my ears, not on my head. Even though doctors will shave your head for head injuries.

hospitals have been notifying the family and asking them the patient's medical history for years (plus checking their ID). It worked for many people. Sure, there may be few errors, but I think the odd of that happening is rare. Unless you have some very careless people in the ER Plus, I don't think the MRI will do that much damage other than damage my CI which is ok anyhow because I can implant my other ear if I have to.

You have to remember, I do carry a cochlear ID everywhere I go so it isn't like I'm leaving it all to the doctors and nurses to figure out all on their own, but I do expect them to take a cue and say, "wait a min. Do you notice her scar behind her ears? Go check her wallet for CI card , and even check to see a processor was found in the accident scene." I think if you are in an accident, your bracelet or necklace break off as well. I have broken many bracelet and necklaces during rough play. Lost many of them. So if your child lost her medical bracelet, does that give doctors an excuse for not checking her medical history with family, friends, or ID?

you do know that they have to remove the magnet first. so it's MRI isn't always a "rush, must do this right away thing".

Your purse/wallet may not stay with you during an emergency. this would mean yo would not haven an identity. You would not have family to call. You would not have a cochlear card in your purse.

Medical IDs are not dainty necklaces. produced with materials like titanium, they're actually pretty damn impossible to destroy.

Let's say you're hit by a car, all alone, no one you know is with you. Your processor is knocked off and destroyed among the random bit of vehicle around you. Some extra helpful pedestrian calls 911 and then steals your purse/wallet before the EMTs get there (stranger things have happened). EMTs strap you to a board and pop you in the ambulance. They open your shirt, check for ID on your person, including ID bracelets/necklaces. At that point you become a John/Jane Doe. You have no identity.

You get to the hospital and need an MRI for unknown injuries to your chest/abdomen. An over worked, distracted, multitasking resident who hasn't slept in over 24 hours is tasked with checking your body and prepping you for the scan and completely misses the scar. They flip the switch on the MRI and...

or you can wear an ID.

Heck, I'd even be willing to have it tattooed somewhere. They even make medical ID temporary tattoos.

And they don't have to cut the magnet out of your head. They might just opt for a different kind of scan (CT or xray). Those images may be sufficient for diagnosing, but not 'optimal' so they would not be a doctor's first choice.

Some hospitals use a metal detector on patients pre-MRI, but they are not fool proof and not widely used. Not all hospitals have the same procedures.

Let's say you're hit by a car, all alone, no one you know is with you. Your processor is knocked off and destroyed among the random bit of vehicle around you. Some extra helpful pedestrian calls 911 and then steals your purse/wallet before the EMTs get there (stranger things have happened). EMTs strap you to a board and pop you in the ambulance. They open your shirt, check for ID on your person, including ID bracelets/necklaces. At that point you become a John/Jane Doe. You have no identity.

You get to the hospital and need an MRI for unknown injuries to your chest/abdomen. An over worked, distracted, multitasking resident who hasn't slept in over 24 hours is tasked with checking your body and prepping you for the scan and completely misses the scar. They flip the switch on the MRI and...

or you can wear an ID.

Heck, I'd even be willing to have it tattooed somewhere. They even make medical ID temporary tattoos.

And they don't have to cut the magnet out of your head. They might just opt for a different kind of scan (CT or xray). Those images may be sufficient for diagnosing, but not 'optimal' so they would not be a doctor's first choice.

Some hospitals use a metal detector on patients pre-MRI, but they are not fool proof and not widely used. Not all hospitals have the same procedures.

:gpost:

I wear the Dog Tag from Universal Medical ID - Universal Medical ID- Medical ID Alert, Custom Engraved Medical Bracelets and Necklaces they also have a free data base. What I have engraved on mine is that I am deaf, I read lips, the make model and serial number of my implant, Also my Doctor's phone number.I also had them engrave to look in my wallet for an information card so they can get the rest of my medical information off the Universal Medical ID website. Both my Doctor and Audi told me before my surgery that I would need some type of Medical ID. I really think with a CI or any medical issue having one is a necessity
but that is totally up to you.

Take care, Don

I have had a medic alert my entire life for other reasons. Growing up it always said "hearing impaired" too. I just got a new one that is a little fancier and more grown up looking and it says "Deaf", along with my other stuff.

I'm thinking about simply:

Deaf
Cochlear Implant
No MRI

I don't really have any other things to put on there. You think that would be enough?

Ron

or you can wear an ID.

If they flip the switch on a patient... then they are also messing with someone with a pacemaker, screws, etc.

oh btw, I don't trust any jewelries anymore than I trust my wallet or doctors. I just have to hope they will do their best despite there's nothing about me is on me. if the medical alert is made of precious metal, I would not be surprise if they stole that too but Highly unlikely.

What if you were going to a nice dance and wanted to wear a nice bracelet and necklace, say like a gift from your boyfriend or husband, and decided not to wear your medical bracelet because it doesn't look right with your dress. So you keep your id in your wallet. You certainly hope The hospital staffs look after these things especially if they don't know anything about you.

If you want to get one then get one. If you don't then don't. I don't see how having one can do any harm, but I can see how not having one when you should have one, can. But please don't tell me how i can count on medical personnel to do the right thing. It doesn't work that way, no matter how much training they have. Things happen.

What if you were going to a nice dance and wanted to wear a nice bracelet and necklace, say like a gift from your boyfriend or husband, and decided not to wear your medical bracelet because it doesn't look right with your dress. So you keep your id in your wallet. You certainly hope The hospital staffs look after these things especially if they don't know anything about you.

I haven't gone to any "dances" but I've sure gone to a small army of banquets and such. I own a bangle-style medical ID that looks just fine with formal clothing. If my partner couldn't understand that my life is more important than wearing the jewelry they want me to, I'd be worried something was wrong with their head.

Very interesting topic. My brother is a paramedic up here in Toronto, next time i see him I should ask what he knows about it.
Not sure how it works in emergencies, but i know for a regular MRI, if you've had any surgery, they will xray the area first to make sure there is no metal 'leftovers' before they schedule the MRI. My guess is that if they noticed the scar, they would xray and see the CI. Still tho, i agree, if I get a CI (and no - i'm not seriously considering it right now.. just in the back of my mind), a medic alert will go right along with it.
*EQL*

I haven't gone to any "dances" but I've sure gone to a small army of banquets and such. I own a bangle-style medical ID that looks just fine with formal clothing. If my partner couldn't understand that my life is more important than wearing the jewelry they want me to, I'd be worried something was wrong with their head.

it's not my partner I'm worrying about. It's looking at my best for a special night. It's usually done for myself so I can feel great.

it's not my partner I'm worrying about. It's looking at my best for a special night. It's usually done for myself so I can feel great.

I would say in that case you likely would be constantly with people who know you. I know many people who wear their medic braclets for formal affairs, and it's never taken away from their outfit. The outfit is usually just so stunning that no one notices! If you are really worried about it, my frien has been known to clip it around her undies. Not sure how comfortable that it, but she figures they'll find it if she's bad enough that they have to strip her down!

*EQL*

hmm, undies medical alert sure would make a good business LOL

true, they have to strip them down to put on hospital gown

I'm thinking about simply:

Deaf
Cochlear Implant
No MRI

I don't really have any other things to put on there. You think that would be enough?

Ron

This is exactly what is engraved on my MedicAlert watch. So I think this will do :)

I'm just wondering if they make them for people who have a CI. It seems logical to have one. I mean if there's an emergency it can tell them they have a CI (Or had one if it was knocked off in an accident) and that they cannot hear without it. Cannot have a normal MRI. To check their wallet, purse or pocket for the card and so forth.

I did a search and really didn't find anything for it yet. So I'm wondering if any of you know about it or possibly have one.

Ron Jaxon

I keep a card in my wallet. This card was provided to me by Cochlear Americas when I was implanted.

But I really ought to get a medical bracelet, though, not only because I have a CI, but also because of the medications I am on, and my disabilities and disorders, and so they would know my name, and besides, it can be easy for you to get separated from your wallet/purse during an accident or something. I wouldn't want them to give me an emergency medication that could have a bad interaction to my medications that I am already on - that would be really bad! I also have a couple of medication allergies - I am allergic to the IV contrast that they use for MRIs/CT scans and I also have bad reactions to a certain IV medication - it makes my head hurt real bad for some reason! I have a food allergy as well - shellfish. I also keep a list of my medications and doctors' names in my wallet in my purse as well too, updated every month or whenever a medication has been changed, added, or taken off the list or when there is a change in doctors. I also keep a list of the disabilities and disorders I have as well, so that the medical staff will know what to do, will know to get an interpreter and such. You just never know what could happen. I want to find a place that will engrave jewelry without the "obvious" medical symbol (the one with the snake or whatever the hell it is) because I don't want to draw attention from other strangers when there is no emergency. I want to be discreet when there is no emergency. I don't want to explain myself to strangers when it's not necessary to do so. Sometimes strangers can be so nosy and I don't like that. I want just a plain durable silver-colored bracelet that has my name on it and says I am deaf and that I have a CI and that I cannot have a MRI and am on medications, and to look in my wallet for a card with more medical information.

I know an electronic bracelet has been invented kind of recently but it is still not really recommended on its own because EMTs can't access it as they would need a computer to access it - they would have to wait until you make it to the ER in order to get access to a computer, and by then you could die or be severely injured more. I think it would be best to have a regular bracelet in addition to the electronic bracelet - the regular silver bracelet with the most important information and then the electronic bracelet for the extra stuff. Electronic bracelets are sold at pharmacies now for about $30 in my area. What if the electronic bracelet gets broken in an accident anyway? Then it would be rendered useless. I don't think it is water proof either. What if you get into a boating accident? Or fall and drown? A plain silver bracelet is a very good back-up. It's good for identification purposes anyway, in case you die in an accident or gosh forbid, someone kills you, your next of kin can ID you if your face gets messed up beyond recognizance or something or if you have no identificating scars or marks or if you have no next of kin, you can still be identified. I could tattoo my name but I do not like my real name so I won't be doing that. At least not until I change my name officially and then I can go ahead and tattoo it. My sister had her first name tattooed on her recently.

I think I will look into it tomorrow. I don't know if I should get a necklace or a bracelet. Do EMTs often check ankles? I don't want to wear it on my wrist or around my necks where the whole world can see and wonder what is wrong with me. I'll ask a friend of mine who has a seizure disorder what she thinks. I just don't like it when people are nosy and wonder what is wrong with me.

I think I also may label the insides of my clothes with my full name but that brings back unpleasant memories and I don't wish to explain why, it's very personal. I would rather wear a bracelet with my name instead.

I used to have a bracelet in the 80s when I was a child that had my name and address and says that I am deaf. So did my godsister (she's deaf also). But I no longer live at the same address and the bracelet has been long lost since then. I wonder if the mall still makes them like they did back then. I'll ask my fiance to take me to the mall and see.

Last edited:
I wear an ID. Just says "Cochlear Implant - Can NOT have MRI". I'm not taking a chance, doctors and nurses are human and mistakes can happen. I got mine from American Medical ID. I actually have a couple styles, one for work, for play and for formal occasions. They have a great variety of jewelry and also are available in Titanium for people with sensitive skin. Whatch for deals, they often offer a second one for free or half price.

American Medical ID - Medical ID Alert, Custom Engraved Medical Bracelets and Necklaces. Identify Yourself!

JC

The MRI would not affect you anyway but would show up black mass as if the image got a big black hole. This is very time consuming and not to mention very expensive.

I should wear one since i am on my own, live on my own, ride horses on my own, drive mostly on my own, Ski on my own etc, travel on my own, 2/3rd of my family lives abroad. Just with Name/CI Audi's Number/Cochlear Implant R ear. I have card in my purse and intructions in my car.

The bracelet should be worn on left wrist as medics are trained to check left wrist when checking for pulse as well as neck for necklace.

Keep Safe.

The MRI would not affect you anyway but would show up black mass as if the image got a big black hole. This is very time consuming and not to mention very expensive.

Er...you are kidding right? Of course it would effect you. Otherwise, worrying about wearing a med alert would be a moot point. The bit about being a black hole in "appearance" would describe it pretty well. The rest of the head not blocked by the CI would show up fine.

Having a MRI while you have an implant is very dangerous. The magnetic field of a MRI can move the implant and cause no end of trouble (and even could kill you). If one needs a MRI, they remove the round receiver under the skin and then do the MRI. Even then, they do it at lower power settings to prevent trouble with the electrode.

That is why the med alert is so valuable for those with a CI.

Back