CI medic alert jewelry?

Er...get your facts straight!

You have a magnet on the coil-transmitter (in the center of it) and there is one on the flat roundish part that is implanted in one's head. They have to remove the magnet in one's head before they can even consider doing a MRI. Even then, they can't do a full strength MRI. It has to be at a lessor level. Why? Because the electrode implant can be affected by the MRI. There is no ifs whats or buts about it.

Here are some links...
MRIsafety.com. MRI safety, bioeffects and patient management.
Audiology Online: mri and cochlear implants

sr171soars is correct about this. When I was being evaluated for my CI I was shown both the internal and the external CI in full details with full explanations of every single part that is part of the whole internal CI. Everything was pointed out with names for everything and purposes everything served. All questions were answered in full details too as well. I was also allowed to handle both the external and internal pieces in my hand, allowed to feel and weigh them in my hand, and asked many questions about each part and its purpose, and what the part is made out of (such as metal or magnet or silcone, whatever). All CI clinics should keep both internal and external pieces of the CI on display for all patients interested in a CI and be prepared to answer many questions. I think most CI clinics do.

http://www.cochlear.co.il/English+Articles/Downloads_GetFile.aspx?id=132 <----- about CI and MRI warning. The card that we all get if you are cochlear user

I don't see it saying it damage anywhere other than the implant and the surrounding tissue (cochlear, ear area ). I mean nothing life threatening, that is. If you want to preserve your ear, yeah, they should make sure they take out the magnetic piece.

btw, I'm still not worrying about it :P Because I seriously think it is the hospital duty to take extreme measure before they do MRI. This is not an ER setting where they are trying to keep you alive and stable. If there danger to watch out in the ER setting (like you are diabete or severe allergy to medication) , yes, I would wear an alert bracelet...

I just watched a show that made me think of this thread. The show was Bones and they put a mummy in an MRI machine. All of the sudden the mummy started to move and sat up. It scared Booth and he pulled his gun out. The gun flew from his hand and stuck to the MRI machine. Then the mummy stuck to the wall of the MRI.

Turns out the mummy had steal balls inside it. LOL

All I could think about is being unconscious and put in the MRI and my implant causes that to happen to me. LOL

Anyway, just though that was funny compared to this discussion.

Ron Jaxon

Last edited:
Ron makes a legitimate point. What if you are just deaf. Forget about the CI angle, Say your deaf or profoundly hard of hearing. Would you get the bracelet then. As Ron said you're in an accident and your aids have some how come loose. Your conscious but maybe disoriented. The people around you are asking questions but you can't hear or maybe you are unable to respond. How many who can't hear wear the bracelet?

Ron makes a legitimate point. What if you are just deaf. Forget about the CI angle, Say your deaf or profoundly hard of hearing. Would you get the bracelet then. As Ron said you're in an accident and your aids have some how come loose. Your conscious but maybe disoriented. The people around you are asking questions but you can't hear or maybe you are unable to respond. How many who can't hear wear the bracelet?

That happen all the time. That is people who are deaf but don't understand nurses or doctors. Even people with dementia can't answer questions. No excuse for neglect.

I had nurses who asked me questions when I was giving childbirth. My husband told me that they asked if I wanted painkiller, but I didn't hear them. So they didn't give it to me without my permission.

I wear a bracelet that says Deaf uses hearing aids so that they know if i can't respond it might not be because im hurt but because I can't hear

My Audi told me to get some kind of med-alert ID to tell people I have a CI and that I am deaf. she also suggested to put on there to look in my wallet for my info card that has a list of the medications I take. Emergency room doctors need as much information about you as they can get so they don't make mistakes that could cost your life.

There's nothing like taking preventative measures!

Lighthouse, I'm not a big fan of pain. If the hospital staff offers me something that could help me and I don't receive it because I can't hear them then maybe I should make sure they know I'm deaf.

They know I was deaf. I told them, my husband told them too. They still couldn't give it to me because I didn't respond to them. And I was in childbirth.. I didn't want to sit there and read everyone's lips (I had my hearing aids on too at the time). It was too painful and too tiring to focus speechreading.

This is one of the example why sign language would have benefit me. My husband could sign to me or a friends or an interpreter.

Isn't it amazing that when you tell a person that you are deaf that they just continue to go on talking to you?:hmm:

Isn't it amazing that when you tell a person that you are deaf that they just continue to go on talking to you?:hmm:

or give up and don't talk to you. Either way.
They will carry on to do their own thing and use their own judgment to treat me.

I'd imagine screaming "GIVE ME MORPHINE!" at the top of your lungs would have done the trick. :)

LOL.. well actually I couldn't pronounce certain medicines that was for childbirth... and I didn't want them to give me anything because I wanted to witness my childbirth, not fall asleep.
I would have planned ahead and tell them this medicine is what I prefer ....if I only knew what it would be like. But I was being too "naturalist" at the time. So if I go screaming give me pain medicine, they would give me anything . they still have to ask me if I want this, and I think they did, but I didn't hear them.

Last edited:
Another

Good thing I haven't seen mentioned above is to have " ICE " as a phone number in your list of phone numbers. the emt's will look for that and call that number. I in C case of E emergency. with texting many carry cell phones now.
Rampratt

Rampratt this is what i have in my phone, it links to my uncle (he lives the closest to me)

I don't think trying to go through a person's cellphone, assuming it can be found, would be a top priority in an emergency. Maybe once things settled down, but not right away. A bracelet would be something spotted almost immediately, it would be pretty hard to miss.

So for those that do wear some kind of medical alert I.D. who wears a bracelet and who wears a necklace?

Back