CI bashing by certain individuals

It is a shame that society sees deaf and blind people as a burden to society. No wonder Deaf people don't want to hang out with the general society. Who wants to be around people who sees deafness from a medical point of view. Yet, general society tells us we ned to stop isolating ourselves and learn how to intereact with "normal" people. I just give my bird to them.

I say we hit up Argentina or South Africa if they're still abiding by that land offer they made to the Zionists in the '20s and '30s.

It is a shame that society sees deaf and blind people as a burden to society. No wonder Deaf people don't want to hang out with the general society. Who wants to be around people who sees deafness from a medical point of view. Yet, general society tells us we ned to stop isolating ourselves and learn how to intereact with "normal" people. I just flip the bird at them because I did what society wanted me to do and as a resut, I was shortchanged. I wish those hearing and sighted people would stop with this nonsense.

:gpost::gpost:

Unfortunately, one person's success story doesn't guarantee success. Even five people's. It would have to be a vast majority of all people who tried and were successful for it to mean anything.

True but it is a starting point.

"The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important, than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus--the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir and keeps us in the intellectual company of man." Hellen Keller

I feel i ought to make one thing clear.. from my experinces as a person born hearing..i think sound is good and everyone should have it because it helps with communication etc.. but those who are happy to stay deaf I RESPECT YOUR CHOICE.

Right...

A deafblind woman from the a hundred years ago.

"A day when deaf people and their language are completely accepted -- no, more than that, truly welcomed -- as a part of the family of man, in which God created diversity not to oppress the minority who are different, but to enrich the lives of all." - Laurent Clerc

True but it is a starting point.

"The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important, than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus--the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir and keeps us in the intellectual company of man." Hellen Keller

How can you possibly compare deafness and blindness like that? Neither one is worse than the other. Each person might have a harder time dealing with one than the other, but it's a totally subjective matter. For example, my deafness is much harder for me to deal with than my blindness, but I know DB people that would just as passionately say the exact opposite. So maybe Helen Keller was more frustrated by deafness than blindness, but that's one person. It doesn't speak to any sort of absolute truth.

And Helen Keller happened to oralist. The sound of the voice that brings language? Ever heard of sign language? :roll:

It takes a great deal of audacity to post on a deaf forum that deaf people should be "cured." Many deaf people don't consider themselves "broken." I'm late deafened and I'm not desperate for a "cure." The real issues here are psychological ones, preventing healthy adjustment to reality.

Helen Keller was known to look down at the Deaf community because they couldn't speak like she could. I say that is having an egostical attitude but then again 100 years ago is a much much different time. We have all the communication devices to communicate with "normal" people but the problem is that those "normal" people are restistant towards them and want to stick with comminicating their way. If the attitudes can just change, deaf people can easily fit in.

Besides sign language was a language back then but Helen Keller, due to her oralist attitude, didn't regard sign language but then again we have to remember, it was around the time of the ill fated Milann Conference that destroyed deaf education.

Sorry for my spelling errors and typos..using pager here.

I would like to chime in that I was born deaf. I try my best not to offend others. I just feel that alot of people misunderstand my opinions.

As for stem cells, it's a choice that some would like to partake in. I am doing my best to be respectful of those who don't want stem cells or are against stem cells. I have never once told anyone they must get stem cells.

As for the quotes on my blog, I already linked them to alldeaf and gave credit to the authors who made those quotes. I am not profiting off them and ive discussed this with my friends and they said it's ok to repost the quotes as long as im not rude to anyone. I reposted the quotes so others can read them and see my opinion and why I disagree with other's points. Freedom of speech lets me do this.

Besides sign language was a language back then but Helen Keller, due to her oralist attitude, didn't regard sign language but then again we have to remember, it was around the time of the ill fated Milann Conference that destroyed deaf education.

It just always amazes me that someone who learned language through touch didn't realize that language can be independent of sound.

It just always amazes me that someone who learned language through touch didn't realize that language can be independent of sound.

Don't underestimate Keller. She understood that very well . She felt she was superior because she did not need to rely on someone to speak for her.

Recall that she did have a companion to sign into her hand .

i would like to chime in that i was born deaf. I try my best not to offend others. I just feel that alot of people misunderstand my opinions.

As for stem cells, it's a choice that some would like to partake in. I am doing my best to be respectful of those who don't want stem cells or are against stem cells. I have never once told anyone they must get stem cells.

As for the quotes on my blog, i already linked them to alldeaf and gave credit to the authors who made those quotes. I am not profiting off them and ive discussed this with my friends and they said it's ok to repost the quotes as long as im not rude to anyone. I reposted the quotes so others can read them and see my opinion and why i disagree with other's points. Freedom of speech lets me do this.

TAKE MY WORDS OFF YOUR BLOG NOW!! I did NOT give you permission to talk about my child!

Don't underestimate Keller. She understood that very well . She felt she was superior because she did not need to rely on someone to speak for her.

Recall that she did have a companion to sign into her hand .

So she just internalized audism instead.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are some great things she did but I am just tired of hearing how wonderful and perfect she was. She was human, with positives and negatives, just like the rest of us.

Overall, I think it may be a good idea to create a new section dedicated to Stem Cells so that it could be filtered out of the hearing aids/CI forum section easier. I like to read the HA/CI and other future technology, such as stem cells, but I could do without the flame wars. It detracts from any useful information that may be posted and discussed, if there were any to begin with in the thread of discussion.

Deafdude, freedom of speech does not allow you to repost quotes. Rather, the fair use section of the copyright laws allows for some provisions in quoting excerpts.

These two links can provide some more clarification on appropriate usage:
U.S. Copyright Office - Can I Use Someone Else's Work? Can Someone Else Use Mine? (FAQ)
U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 1

TAKE MY WORDS OFF YOUR BLOG NOW!! I did NOT give you permission to talk about my child!

A deaf dude's life: Cochlear implant average aided scores: 40db?

Per your request, I have removed your daughter's name. I didn't see anything offensive about "(name removed) gets 15-25db." this is an impressive result and I was praising her for being a star CI wearer. There was nothing remotely negative about CI. I was simply showing proof in this blog post that average was in the 30-40db range.

So she just internalized audism instead.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are some great things she did but I am just tired of hearing how wonderful and perfect she was. She was human, with positives and negatives, just like the rest of us.

Did you think I was making a positive statement? I was telling you she was worse than you understand.

Per your request, I have removed your daughter's name. I didn't see anything offensive about "(name removed) gets 15-25db." this is an impressive result and I was praising her for being a star CI wearer. There was nothing remotely negative about CI. I was simply showing proof in this blog post that average was in the 30-40db range.

As a mother, I would not want anyone posting anything about my child. Please do what she is asking you, she is really uncomfortable. you can still talk about it, just provide a link to the picture or whatever so people can click and read her blog and come back and read your opinion. You don't need to copy and paste her posts at all.

I don't just want her name removed, I want EVERYTHING about her gone. What makes you think you have the right to write a single word about my child? How dare you? Why on earth do you think it is ok to post your opinions about my daughter's personal, medical information?

Just report his blog if you feel so strongly about it, however I have to say-- if you don't want people to have access to your daughter's medical information and commenting on it... why share it online? Just being the Devil's advocate here.

May I ask a question, why you feel so strongly about this? Other bloggers quote each others, and all they do is write a blog in response to the previous blog post... and then it's back and forward. That's the nature of the blogsphere.

Back