CI bashing by certain individuals

I have only seen the latter on the blogsphere, but that's none of AD's business. However I am referring to the posts made on CI/HA threads, not stem-cell threads.

I dont read the CI threads too often so I dont know what's happening there.

Flip that logic round, if you could get treatment now that would permentaly damage you natural (residual) hearing, knowing that a natural treatment/cure was only 2, 5, 7 years away. Instead of getting intimidated they should be getting exicted

A natural cure for deafness is within reach, that should be a cause for joy, shouldnt it?

Problem is that it's not a GUARANTEE when that "cure" may be. It's all theories. At least we saw results with CIs.

Stem cells? Not yet practical for our purpose, and no one knows when that is going to happen.

If I were you, I wouldnt use "reckless" as everyone is entitled to choose whatever hearing device they want for themselves. I chose not to get either a CI or stem cells and I have been accused of not wanting to "improve myself". It is my decision to stick with HAs.

I know, I have already amended it the second i posted it. If youre happy with your choice then I can respect that. Personally, I would lean towards Stem cells.. but to each their own

If I were you, I wouldnt use "reckless" as everyone is entitled to choose whatever hearing device they want for themselves. I chose not to get either a CI or stem cells and I have been accused of not wanting to "improve myself". It is my decision to stick with HAs.

:eek: Wow, that's pretty audist of someone to say.

I know, I have already amended it the second i posted it. If youre happy with your choice then I can respect that. Personally, I would lean towards Stem cells.. but to each their own

It is exactly that kind of language that people are objecting to.

Problem is that it's not a GUARANTEE when that "cure" may be. It's all theories. At least we saw results with CIs.

Stem cells? Not yet practical for our purpose, and no one knows when that is going to happen.

I agree there is an element of risk.

Chloe Sohl showed the world the potential of stem cells. At this stage I think it would be unreasonable to expect a cure. Perhaps an increase in DB hearing making hearing better with HA. Progressing to a practical cure in max 15 years. But I do concur that no-one knows when Stem cells will be available commercially.

But the point is that with CI's everyone knows that hearing would never be under 10db or that CI’s are attached to a person’s skull. Stem cells can potentially eradicate deafness completely, as a natural cure. So therefore there should be some form of optimism..

I admitted I made a mistake, and corrected it. I think people are objecting not only to the language but also the debate. They are happy with their CI's and do not want to know about Stem cells which is understandable, but there is freedom of speech. All im saying is if you don like the language report it..if you dont like the debate go elsewhere.

What language...the use of "reckless"? Just wanted to clarify so I know if I am reading you right.

:eek: Wow, that's pretty audist of someone to say.

I have shared that in a few threads. One was my hubby's former co worker at a work picnic. She said all deaf people should get CIs and that she doesnt understand why many of us dont want to improve ourselves. That's my big concern about CIs...hearing people who are ignorant (especially employers) will see them as a "cure" and then discriminate against those who dont have them or who werent able to develop oral skills.

Chloe Sohl showed the world the potential of stem cells. At this stage I think it would be unreasonable to expect a cure. Perhaps an increase in DB hearing making hearing better with HA. Progressing to a practical cure in max 15 years. But I do concur that no-one knows when Stem cells will be available commercially.

But the point is that with CI's everyone knows that hearing would never be under 10db or that CI’s are attached to a person’s skull. Stem cells can potentially eradicate deafness completely. So therefore there should be some form of optimism..

Eradicate deafness? Wow..that's an audist view. Many deaf people cherish ASL and the Deaf community.

I have shared that in a few threads. One was my hubby's former co worker at a work picnic. She said all deaf people should get CIs and that she doesnt understand why many of us dont want to improve ourselves. That's my big concern about CIs...hearing people who are ignorant (especially employers) will see them as a "cure" and then discriminate against those who dont have them or who werent able to develop oral skills.

Exactly, for people whose deafness is part of their identity, that's like erasing their identity. I would never do something to correct my blindness cause that's just who I am. I am blind. I feel differently about my deafness but I wouldn't ever suggest that someone else "fix" their deafness just cause that's how I feel about my own hearing loss.

Can you guarantee that it will be a potential cure in 15 years? I have an illness. It has been "cured" several times using various drugs. People keep saying the cure is around the corner... "oh by next year," "in three years," "in five years," "in six months." People have been saying that for two decades now. Everyday there is new progress; some people show results, some haven't. Animals are tested on. Been 5 years now since I got hit with the news, and so far none of the predictions came true yet.

You see, the difference between someone that want CIs and someone that want stem-cells is that the stem-cell folks are "technology will be better tomorrow" while the CI folks are more like "live life; have a fun one."

Stem cells can potentially eradicate deafness completely. So therefore there should be some form of optimism.

Dumb comment to make on a Deaf-centric forum.

Eradicate deafness? Wow..that's an audist view. Many deaf people cherish ASL and the Deaf community.
can potentially eradicate deafness completely
It may be audist, but it is also true.

I think thats what the real issue is. Do you think if my audist view becomes possible people would choose to remain deaf? and make their children deaf to preserve their community? I was born hearing then lost hearing in my right ear due to my carelessness, so I really can’t speak on the deaf community but it does intrigue me.

I think thats what the real issue is. Do you think if my audist view becomes possible people would choose to remain deaf? and make their children deaf to preserve their community? I was born hearing then lost hearing in my right ear due to my carelessness, so I really can’t speak on the deaf community but it does intrigue me.

You see, that statement does offend people because deafness became an ethnic identity for many people. It's like trying to cure homosexuality.

So should we go out and bleach black people's skin too to "eradicate blackness"?

Do you see how the truth/falsehood of that statement is irrelevant?

I imagine a lot (not all but a lot) of late-deafened people jump on anything to cure their deafness because they still identify as hearing. But to tell a culturally Deaf person their deafness can be eradicated is like telling a black person they can have their blackness eradicated with skin bleaching.

Can you guarantee that it will be a potential cure in 15 years? I have an illness. It has been "cured" several times using various drugs. People keep saying the cure is around the corner... "oh by next year," "in three years," "in five years," "in six months." People have been saying that for two decades now. Everyday there is new progress; some people show results, some haven't. Animals are tested on. Been 5 years now since I got hit with the news, and so far none of the predictions came true yet.

You see, the difference between someone that want CIs and someone that want stem-cells is that the stem-cell folks are "technology will be better tomorrow" while the CI folks are more like "live life; have a fun one."

I guess that can describe me as a HA user..I am just living life and having as much fun with it as I can. I grew up wanting to hear better and it mademe miserable because I wasn't really enjoying life trying to be hearing person which I never will be. Ugh @ that state of mind I was in.

Research Chloe Sohl - for those who dont know she has been treated with stem cells with a degree of success. You have a point i cant guarantee i can only make educated guess. Go back 15 years ago what was the internet? was the a flu vaccine.. the point is technology will continue to get better, advances in science will lead to discovery its not a matter of if but when.

So yeah I suppose it bils down to faith, and maybe a little hope. But research is promising.

Well it maybe a dumb comment but I felt it had to be said. I apologise if the comment of a cure offends anyone

So should we go out and bleach black people's skin too to "eradicate blackness"?

Do you see how the truth/falsehood of that statement is irrelevant?

I imagine a lot (not all but a lot) of late-deafened people jump on anything to cure their deafness because they still identify as hearing. But to tell a culturally Deaf person their deafness can be eradicated is like telling a black person they can have their blackness eradicated with skin bleaching.

Are you comparing the disability of being deaf (difficulty hearing sound) to being black the colour of ones skin?
Two completly different things

You see, that statement does offend people because deafness became an ethnic identity for many people. It's like trying to cure homosexuality.
Please tell me this is a joke

It is a shame that society sees deaf and blind people as a burden to society. No wonder Deaf people don't want to hang out with the general society. Who wants to be around people who sees deafness from a medical point of view. Yet, general society tells us we ned to stop isolating ourselves and learn how to intereact with "normal" people. I just give my bird to them.

Research Chloe Sohl - for those who dont know she has been treated with stem cells with a degree of success. You have a point i cant guarantee i can only make educated guess. Go back 15 years ago what was the internet? was the a flu vaccine.. the point is technology will continue to get better, advances in science will lead to discovery its not a matter of if but when.

So yeah I suppose it bils down to faith, and maybe a little hope. But research is promising.

Well it maybe a dumb comment but I felt it had to be said. I apologise if the comment of a cure offends anyone

Unfortunately, one person's success story doesn't guarantee success. Even five people's. It would have to be a vast majority of all people who tried and were successful for it to mean anything.

Back