CI bashing by certain individuals

Ridemiown

Reaction score
Please help those of us that use this site for information regarding CI's. It is very uncomfortable to be repeatedly bashed for choosing a CI by someone that doesn't even have one. I know several members have contacted the moderators before but really, the continual force feeding of hinky stem cell statistics is taking over the entire CI folder. Really, no one, absolutely NO ONE here other than one person, cares about statistics from a questionable clinic in South Korea...

Please help us.

:gpost: Deafdude1 needs to be stopped. He keeps comming across as an expert but never provides any credentials. Now he has a thread where he is second guessing a PHD about stem cell availability.

There are always going to be people who get fixated on one topic so it is best to ignore the threads if it bothers you. Same thing about the numerous of threads created by one person bashing Obama and Liberals. Many of us have chosen not to take them seriously or ignore them.

But if you think about it, he has done more to bond, CI users, HA users, and non users than anyone else ever!

Unite!!

There are always going to be people who get fixated on one topic so it is best to ignore the threads if it bothers you. Same thing about the numerous of threads created by one person bashing Obama and Liberals. Many of us have chosen not to take them seriously or ignore them.

Forgot those, I don't even read them.

Hi. Best thing to do is to PM/Email me and provide a link to where the bashing takes place, and I'll take care of it from there.

Thanks.

But if you think about it, he has done more to bond, CI users, HA users, and non users than anyone else ever!

Unite!!

I dont have either and I chose to ignore those threads. :dunno:

the problem as I see it is that deafdude1 doesn't provide any sources and tries to come across as some sort of expert but never provides credentials or what he thinks qualifies him to make the claims he does. Nobody should take anyone seriously that just blows a lot of hot air.

Please help those of us that use this site for information regarding CI's. It is very uncomfortable to be repeatedly bashed for choosing a CI by someone that doesn't even have one. I know several members have contacted the moderators before but really, the continual force feeding of hinky stem cell statistics is taking over the entire CI folder. Really, no one, absolutely NO ONE here other than one person, cares about statistics from a questionable clinic in South Korea...

Please help us.

No one is bashing your CI choice. I am happy for you that your CI is such a success, way above average. If you are against stem cells, please exercise your choice not to read any of those threads. I do agree that the mods or admin should start a sub folder just for stem cells and move all the threads to that folder.

Exactly. Everyone has the right not to read a thread they aren't interested in discussing. Freedom of choice and speech.

the problem as I see it is that deafdude1 doesn't provide any sources and tries to come across as some sort of expert but never provides credentials or what he thinks qualifies him to make the claims he does. Nobody should take anyone seriously that just blows a lot of hot air.

I have provided sources, you choose not to believe them. I am not going to start an argument except to say you have the right to dismiss my sources. I am not an expert, please don't assume I am one. I however have talked to experts. If you are interested(which I doubt), talk to the experts yourself like I have.

Let me make some good points again:

1. As others said, I am entitled to my opinions. You don't like what I say, don't read my posts then. I do not need others attacking me(saying bad things about me) or trying to start an argument. If you wish to disagree, state your reasons why. As for sources, I will need to get into the habit of providing them. Likewise, you should back up your own reasons for disagreeing with me with sources.

2. I have said before that I respect other's choice to HAs, CI, stem cells, etc. I have congratulated others on their good CI results, this rules out your accusations that I am anti-CI. I have already posted my opinions on CI both the pros and cons. I also have the right to point out that your CI audiologist must first give you a 30-90 day trial(source link) with the best HAs.

3. What you call obsession, I call it a passion to learn about deafness and it's technical aspects. I love numbers and this includes audiograms, speech scores, decibals, etc. I am here to learn and thank anyone who shares/provides information. This has helped my own audiologist reprogram my HAs so I can hear better.

4. Some of you seem upset at some of the things I say. Can we agree/disagree without involving emotions into it? It's nothing personal and has nothing to do with your choice. I only wish to discuss the facts as I am here to learn. I have posted about cochlear dead regions, degrees of hearing loss, speech understanding, benefits of HAs, CI, stem cells, dealing with hearing loss, how to program HAs for amplification/transposition and everything else. Feel free to ask me questions here.

I feel some of you are being disrespectful of my opinions and choices. I will say again if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything. Feel free to debate and agree or disagree, but always show respect for those who make choices different than your own.

Deafdude, you arent the only one...

. I have said before that I respect other's choice to HAs, CI, stem cells, etc. I have congratulated others on their good CI results, this rules out your accusations that I am anti-CI

I have been accused of the same simply because I am against the oral-only philosophy for Deaf education. There are always going to be people who will call you anti-CI if you say one bad thing about CIs. Dont even bother defending yourself on that one. It will fall on deaf ears. *Speaking from experience here*

However, by asking people for their audiograms is probably going too far..just a FYI

..............I have provided sources, you choose not to believe them. I am not going to start an argument except to say you have the right to dismiss my sources. I am not an expert, please don't assume I am one. I however have talked to experts. If you are interested(which I doubt), talk to the experts yourself like I have............
I can tell you for sure that you don't provide links to sources in all of the posts where you are providing what appear to be quotes and information that is not comming from you directly. You might do it in some posts but I have not seen them. Your most recent thread where you are second guessing the PHD on when stem cells will be available does not provide any sources or links to sources.

I am not saying that you are lying. Alot of people come to this site for information and nobody should expect anyone to just believe what someone says, however there are some people that do just that. In all fairness my personal belief is that when you are quoting from another source you should provide the source details or a link to the source. That's all I am saying.

You also interject your opinions and experiences as though they are facts or that everyone is expected to have the same experiences you have. All you have to do is change the wording a little bit to state these things as your opinoin or in your experience. The problem is that depending on how you word things makes the difference in how you come across to others. People are percieving you as anti CI and CI bashing. Even though you have come out and said you are not anti CI it is in the way that you word things that in my view make you come across that way even though it is subtle.

Good luck to you and if my advice means anything to you I would only say to provide source details or links to sources and change the way you word things to indicate they are "in your opinion" or "based on your experience"

deafdude, I am offering you feedback.

To give a neutral source, it is required to refrain from interjecting bias on a neutral source.

To be an advocate and an ally for your cause, it is required of you to remain neutral which means you need to give sources just as it is. No interjecting your own personal feelings/experiences and whatnot.

It is also wise not to share hearsay, other people's experiences in this site when they are not able to speak for themselves. It is also beneficial when you provide neutral sources or unbiased references.

This will make members much more receptive to your cause. I sincerely hope this helps.

Last edited:
deafdude, I am offering you feedback.

To give a neutral source, it is required to refrain from interjecting bias on a neutral source.

To be an advocate and an ally for your cause, it is required of you to remain neutral which means you need to give sources just as it is. No interjecting your own personal feelings/experiences and whatnot.

It is also wise not to share hearsay, other people's experiences in this site when they are not able to speak for themselves. It is also beneficial when you provide neutral sources or unbiased references.

This will make members much more receptive to your cause. I sincerely hope this helps.
not just a :gpost: but an outstanding post!! Very well said.

Please help us.

You have baited me, well done.

May I ask how old you are? You may come on this forum to get information regarding CI's, but I come here for information regarding Stem cells. Youre quite a sensitive person arent you..Personally I find the information from various people on this forum about stem cells very useful. Being rude gets you no where OP.

You allude that results and data from a clinic in South Korea may be suspect. I think you might actually be in denial RNL bio is a legeitmate Stem cell company that has TREATED deafness with stem cells reuters and other crediable reporters covered it. It actually was quite big news..do you think its a lie?

Talking about CI's disadvantages compared to stem cells treatment IS NOT CI bashing, simply ignore it and read another more receptive (to you) thread. Listen this forum is about deafness period. All treatments can be discussed. At the end of the day individuals make their own choice.

Good day

I am beginning to think this is a case of thread ownership but rather as sub-forum ownership. I honestly think the CI/HA subfolder applies to any technology that assists in improving one's hearing and stem cells do fit in that category. Sorry folks but just my honest opinion.

I am beginning to think this is a case of thread ownership but rather as sub-forum ownership. I honestly think the CI/HA subfolder applies to any technology that assists in improving one's hearing and stem cells do fit in that category. Sorry folks but just my honest opinion.

Nah... I think it's more of a case where people feel intimidated by a technology that is not yet viable for their own personal uses.

I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to hear about stem cells if I want my hearing to be better NOW... not 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now.

Nah... I think it's more of a case where people feel intimidated by a technology that is not yet viable for their own personal uses.

I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to hear about stem cells if I want my hearing to be better NOW... not 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now.

That's fine that they dont have to want to hear about stem cells hence ingnoring the threads about them.

Maybe because I didnt read most of the stem cell threads so I dont know if there was a lot of CI bashing in them or not.

the continual force feeding of hinky stem cell statistics is taking over the entire CI folder

That comment made me wonder if it was more of an issue of subforum ownership. If the said individuals were just posting threads about stem cells without bashing other ADers, then I think they have the right to do that. However, if they are bashing ADers, then that's wrong.

Flip that logic round, if you could get treatment now that would permentaly damage you natural (residual) hearing, knowing that a natural treatment/cure was only 2, 5, 7 years away. Instead of getting intimidated they should be getting exicted

A natural cure for deafness is within reach, that should be a cause for joy, shouldnt it?

Flip that logic round, if you could get treatment now that would permentaly damage you natural (residual) hearing, knowing that a natural treatment/cure was only 2, 5, 7 years away. Would you be reckless or patient?

If I were you, I wouldnt use "reckless" as everyone is entitled to choose whatever hearing device they want for themselves. I chose not to get either a CI or stem cells and I have been accused of not wanting to "improve myself". It is my decision to stick with HAs.

That's fine that they dont have to want to hear about stem cells hence ingnoring the threads about them.

Maybe because I didnt read most of the stem cell threads so I dont know if there was a lot of CI bashing in them or not.

the continual force feeding of hinky stem cell statistics is taking over the entire CI folder

That comment made me wonder if it was more of an issue of subforum ownership. If the said individuals were just posting threads about stem cells without bashing other ADers, then I think they have the right to do that. However, if they are bashing ADers, then that's wrong.

I have only seen the latter on the blogsphere, but that's none of AD's business. However I am referring to the posts made on CI/HA threads, not stem-cell threads.

Back