Childs behavior

Spot on. When what you are doing is not working, it is time to try something else. "You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it." Einstein

Agreed, although just because she's already signing with her child, I don't think that needs to be discarded entirely if it's not meeting their communication needs. It may be that she and the child are not using it fully as a language, I've seen many people who say they use ASL but are actually just using fragments, vocabulary, but not a fluid language, leaving so many gaps that can be very frustrating.

Agreed, although just because she's already signing with her child, I don't think that needs to be discarded entirely if it's not meeting their communication needs. It may be that she and the child are not using it fully as a language, I've seen many people who say they use ASL but are actually just using fragments, vocabulary, but not a fluid language, leaving so many gaps that can be very frustrating.

Absolutely. It is the absence of language that creates the frustration. A child cannot use language to investigate and explore the world around them if all they get is fragments. Nor can they develop at appropriate stages psycho-socially. I got the impression that the sign being used was rudimentary.

I will be honest and say that stupiditly we took a little time in the beginning but have been signing to her since she was about 8 months. The funny thing about signing is that the only signs she will use are the words she speaks. We had her tested for autism, negative, because we noticed in therapy she would stare off into space for a few moments but then she would come back to us. As well as she has been a guinea pig for quite some time, she has been to every department of the hospital for some reason or another. (she will be a great kidney donor one day, considering she has 3 of them) Again I would like to thank you all for the suggestions.

I didn't see this post last night. Did the mod merge it?

it look like you are doing something right now. It's not too late because most of us were diagnosed as late as 3 years old or 5 years old. You still have time to help her catch up. I hope you can find the right therapy who can help you.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Anyway, back on point.

As I was saying, experience books are a great way to SHOW rules and expectations. You can take a picture of her doing the "bad" behavior, and then draw a frowny face on the page, then take a picture of her behaving appropriately, with a smiley. Then you can sit down during a calm period and show her the book.

I would also recommend a behavior chart with LOTS of rewards. Every time you "catch" her being good, move her forward and every few spaces, she gets a small treat or reward.

Also, transitions were always a problem when my little one was young so we made a big chart that had several spots for each day of the week. Then we went out and took pictures of ALL the places we went (the store, school, our families homes, the park, etc) and then would put the pictures up for the week. Every time we had to leave the house we would show her (and tell her) where we were going. It helped her know that we weren't just forcing her to have to stop playing for no good reason! :D

ASL will accomplish all of this in a more direct manner. If she needs that much visual support, ASL will provide a way not only to communicate concretely, but abstractly as well.

yes, and the mother said she was signing. My tips were for the immediate time. Language takes time and exposure and repeation to learn, photos are immediate. Photos can also be used as language experiences, so you can show and sign.

Wirelessly posted

yes, and the mother said she was signing. My tips were for the immediate time. Language takes time and exposure and repeation to learn, photos are immediate. Photos can also be used as language experiences, so you can show and sign.

Language acquisition begins immediately, when it is offered in a format the child is able to perceive and create meaning with. While pictures, etc. can be useful teaching tools, they are no substitute for actual communication.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:

Absolutely. It is the absence of language that creates the frustration. A child cannot use language to investigate and explore the world around them if all they get is fragments. Nor can they develop at appropriate stages psycho-socially. I got the impression that the sign being used was rudimentary.

so where does she find the resources and support to become more fluent and provide a better language base for her daughter? I think she cam here looking for advice, tips and resource recommendations.

Wirelessly posted

so where does she find the resources and support to become more fluent and provide a better language base for her daughter? I think she cam here looking for advice, tips and resource recommendations.

Within the deaf community, preferable within a reasonable distance to the area where she lives.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

Language acquisition begins immediately, when it is offered in a format the child is able to perceive and create meaning with. While pictures, etc. can be useful teaching tools, they are no substitute for actual communication.

and that is why no one has suggested that the take the place of language or be the only method of communication.

do you have suggestions for the op?

Wirelessly posted

and that is why no one has suggested that the take the place of language or be the only method of communication.

do you have suggestions for the op?

Already made them. Perhaps you missed them. The point is, with the child experiencing the amount of frustration and anxiety she is exhibiting, the immediate concentration needs to be on acquiring fundamental language skills, not on vocab and teaching tools.

Already made them. Perhaps you missed them. The point is, with the child experiencing the amount of frustration and anxiety she is exhibiting, the immediate concentration needs to be on acquiring fundamental language skills, not on vocab and teaching tools.

Right. I needed to start learning sign and communicating with my parents once it was diagnosed that I was deaf (at 15 months). Once we got that started then they (parents) and teachers started working with speech and vocabulary.

I think the first thing the child need to learn is express how she feels so she doesn't have a meltdown.

I notice the op hasn't been back since this thread got started.

Right. I needed to start learning sign and communicating with my parents once it was diagnosed that I was deaf (at 15 months). Once we got that started then they (parents) and teachers started working with speech and vocabulary.

Yes, and this mother has clearly said that she is signing. She has to learn the language before she has the ability to teach it to her child. That is probably why the child is struggling. The mother needs resources and the ability to learn ASL and get her child around other ASL users so that she can learn the language.

I notice the op hasn't been back since this thread got started.

Actually, she's been back several times, brave soul, despite the less-than welcoming avalanche of posts demanding that fault lies with her for not signing (when, as she clarified, she already does) and telling her not to focus on spoken language. Hopefully this now-cleaned up thread will be filled with great ideas for enhancing language skills across the modalities, with tips on reaching her child visually, building spoken language with the help of her child's CIs, and lots of resources other have used to communicate with their children.

Actually, she's been back several times, brave soul, despite the less-than welcoming avalanche of posts demanding that fault lies with her for not signing (when, as she clarified, she already does) and telling her not to focus on spoken language. Hopefully this now-cleaned up thread will be filled with great ideas for enhancing language skills across the modalities, with tips on reaching her child visually, building spoken language with the help of her child's CIs, and lots of resources other have used to communicate with their children.

I meant to say she has not posted again. It is hoped she'll post in her again.

I saw posts suggesting rather than demanding that spoken language not be used. It's clear from the op's post that it's not very effective.

We are not against speech. For a lot of deaf, spoken language does not come easily to many deaf yet many of the hearing is fixated on making deaf use spoken language at all costs despite the countess problems that the child has regardless of if they have CIs or HAs. A lot of hearing parents don't seem to be able to understand this and they tend to discount us when we tell them. It's as if we're unable to understand our own deafness when our advice is discounted.

Last edited:
Back