Child crying while CI being activated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see here......
So you think his life will be better without a CI, with no ability to hear anything at all?
My life is GREAT without hearing anything. However - hearing sounds is NOT the issue here. It's the experience.

This conversation just seems to be going in circles. Jiro agreed that no, it would not be better to not be able to hear at all.
Can you show me where he said that? (forgive me, I'm all over the place. I'm on some pretty serious painkillers right now)

So what would be the alternative, then? If this little boy was a candidate for a CI, then clearly hearing aids would not have helped him. His parents had two options: give him a CI, and some hearing, (albeit not really natural, and not like a hearing person's hearing), and continue with English, Spanish, and ASL...

Following you here... :hmm:

or -

give him nothing at all, let him grow up only with ASL, no access to hearing, and a much tougher time learning Spanish and English.

And I guess that's what you are saying would be preferable?

First: Interesting how you use "nothing at all", in a degrading way. That usage of language could be improved if you want to be better received, just a FYI.

Second: How is it much tougher time learning Spanish and English without a CI? (I'm asking this because I personally am failing to see how it is any tougher as a bilingual person that is looking into taking on a third language without a CI.)

What I am saying here... You can learn Spanish, French, English, German... without any hearing devices. The mere implication of needing a hearing device or two in order to learn a language easier is looking down upon the Deaf and is offensive. You might want to reconsider how you convey your points in the future.

At any rate, reading the comments from what appears to be his father under the second video, posted just a week ago, his family is very happy with his progress and says he is happy and learning more all the time. If they are happy, and the child is happy and learning, that's all to the good, right?
That's awesome his parents are happy. Is the child truly happy? We will not really know until the child is 20++. Let's wait and see, eh?

If he should decide at some point he doesn't want to hear, he can choose that. But if the reverse were true, if they didn't give him access to some hearing, he could never go back and have this period of childhood language acquisition all over again.

Here we go again. Children can learn language without hearing devices. To say they never can is well... Look above.

It's quite simple, if the child is screaming and signing the word, "hurt"... stop. Don't laugh and keep doing it.

yeah, but... let's not exaggerate.
on the other hand, it's not like he is chained to the electric chair
and his head is being sawed in half.

His CI is simply being turned on for the first time, so certain reaction is understandable.
I am not entirely even convinced he actually feels real pain, even if he supposedly signed "pain",
simply because judging by his face it seems to me more like utter disbelief and fear. he is a child, after all, an they sometimes have a problem describing their immediate emotions.

he is probably hearing sounds for the first time in his life, and that can be pretty scary experience, easily confused with "pain".

I also don't see if the parents plan to stop the child being immersed in the Deaf culture- does anybody know?

Fuzzy

I have several deaf friends who dont have CIs and dont have speech skills who are fluent in different languages. I am not talking about sign language either.

I don't understand why parents in general would not want their children to make that choice. As a parent, I want everything to be my kids choice. If when they get older the ci's are an option then they can choose to get them. If I could reach that women I would rip her face off slowly with spoons, that smirk killed me.

I am a parent who did indeed make the choice for my child to have a cochlear implant. I am not going to try and condense events that happened almost 25 years ago and a course of conduct that took place well over a year into a few paragraphs but my wife and I view our roles as parents as a gift and one that came with tremendous responsibilities and obligations. It would be nice to live in a make believe world where parents can defer all decisions to their children and no consequences would occur but such a world does not exist. We believe that as parents we needed at times to make decisions on behalf of our children because that is what they were: children who by their vary nature do not yet possess the requisite knowledge, judgment and maturity to make certain decisions.

Our daughter was born hearing and lost her hearing at 10 months due to meningitis. At that point, we had little or no experience with deafness but what we were determined to do was to make certain that goals we had for her before she contracted meningitis remained intact. After much research it led us to the belief that if she could, we would give her every opportunity available to acquire oral language. Not because oral language was "better" or "superior" to sign but because of the stark reality that we live in a world where like it or not over 99% of the world communicates orally.

This led us first to pursue an auditory aural approach and then to consider the cochlear implant. As it was then in 1989 and remains so today, there exists no better method, technology or procedure than the cochlear implant that allows profoundly deaf children access to sounds and perhaps the ability to acquire speech.

As was true then and remains so today, for people who are deaf due meningitis there is also a distinct possibility that delay in implanting will lead to ossification which will serious impact the chances of a successful implantation later on in life. Also, as my daughter and thousands of other implanted kids have proven: there is a direct correlation between between beneficial use of the implant and implantation as close as possible to the onset of deafness.

For parents like my wife and I, if we made a decision to utilize spoken language as our daughter's primary language, then subjecting her to years of speech and language therapy made frustrating and probably fruitless to her due to her profound loss all for the sake of "letting her decide" is counter productive when there already existed something that could both enhance and ease her ability to utilize spoken language.

You may disagree with our decision and that is fine for reasonable people can certainly at times view the same events and come to different conclusions. That does not make either decision right or wrong but let's be honest. To defer the decision to one's child is indeed a decision: a decision not to implant. With that decision comes its own set of ramifications and consequences.

I wish you all the best with your decision. As for our decision, with our daughter now out of school and working, we no longer have to play the "what if" game or the "wait and see" game as for my wife and I, and most important of all, our daughter, it turned out to be the best decision we ever made.
Rick

I am a parent who did indeed make the choice for my child to have a cochlear implant. I am not going to try and condense events that happened almost 25 years ago and a course of conduct that took place well over a year into a few paragraphs but my wife and I view our roles as parents as a gift and one that came with tremendous responsibilities and obligations. It would be nice to live in a make believe world where parents can defer all decisions to their children and no consequences would occur but such a world does not exist. We believe that as parents we needed at times to make decisions on behalf of our children because that is what they were: children who by their vary nature do not yet possess the requisite knowledge, judgment and maturity to make certain decisions.

Our daughter was born hearing and lost her hearing at 10 months due to meningitis. At that point, we had little or no experience with deafness but what we were determined to do was to make certain that goals we had for her before she contracted meningitis remained intact. After much research it led us to the belief that if she could, we would give her every opportunity available to acquire oral language. Not because oral language was "better" or "superior" to sign but because of the stark reality that we live in a world where like it or not over 99% of the world communicates orally.

This led us first to pursue an auditory aural approach and then to consider the cochlear implant. As it was then in 1989 and remains so today, there exists no better method, technology or procedure than the cochlear implant that allows profoundly deaf children access to sounds and perhaps the ability to acquire speech.

As was true then and remains so today, for people who are deaf due meningitis there is also a distinct possibility that delay in implanting will lead to ossification which will serious impact the chances of a successful implantation later on in life. Also, as my daughter and thousands of other implanted kids have proven: there is a direct correlation between between beneficial use of the implant and implantation as close as possible to the onset of deafness.

For parents like my wife and I, if we made a decision to utilize spoken language as our daughter's primary language, then subjecting her to years of speech and language therapy made frustrating and probably fruitless to her due to her profound loss all for the sake of "letting her decide" is counter productive when there already existed something that could both enhance and ease her ability to utilize spoken language.

You may disagree with our decision and that is fine for reasonable people can certainly at times view the same events and come to different conclusions. That does not make either decision right or wrong but let's be honest. To defer the decision to one's child is indeed a decision: a decision not to implant. With that decision comes its own set of ramifications and consequences.

I wish you all the best with your decision. As for our decision, with our daughter now out of school and working, we no longer have to play the "what if" game or the "wait and see" game as for my wife and I, and most important of all, our daughter, it turned out to be the best decision we ever made.
Rick

it's too bad that parents like you and mine won't ever know the truth because it would break my heart to say it to my parents.

btw - you don't have to type up that long story because we know it all. we are that story.

I still say it's abuse. Oh well.

Beach Girl, since you were wasting your time playing a childish game with me, somebody pointed me to a post of yours.

I am another late-deafened adult; began to lose my hearing when I was in my early 30's due to an ototoxic reaction to an anti-malaria drug.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...tment-late-onset-deafness-34.html#post1811945

Your age is somewhat relevant to this topic since this is a child we are talking about. A deaf child's brain works differently compared to that of a late-deafened adult's brain. Although it does explains quite a bit about the way you are set in.

it's too bad that parents like you and mine won't ever know the truth because it would break my heart to say it to my parents.

That's a pretty big assumption on your part.

btw - you don't have to type up that long story because we know it all. we are that story.

No, its too bad that because you are incapable of being honest with your parents, you feel the need to justify your relationship with them by projecting it onto others. You know nothing about the relationship between our daughter and us. You have never met any of us nor observed our relationship so you know nothing. Believe me, you and your family are not our story.

Some of us don't like to make our parents feel bad. They tried hard. We might not agree with the choices they made, but in their older ages, what purpose does it serve to make them feel badly? Who wants to do that to their parents for the rest of their lives?

No, its too bad that because you are incapable of being honest with your parents, you feel the need to justify your relationship with them by projecting it onto others. You know nothing about the relationship between our daughter and us. You have never met any of us nor observed our relationship so you know nothing. Believe me, you and your family are not our story.

1 ASL Class = Fluency in ASL?

I have several deaf friends who dont have CIs and dont have speech skills who are fluent in different languages. I am not talking about sign language either.

I know one DoD woman who knows Japanese as well as English. She taught herself Japanese so she could read Manga books in the Japanese language.

ah yes yes.... typical defensive response. Yes yes - let it all out and say all these same ole' lines I hear all the time. I'm not surprised.

I am perfectly capable of telling truth to my parents but it's not worth breaking their heart over it. I don't want them to cry and feel a deep sense of regret for years. I do not want their last words to be "I'm sorry..." on their death bed.

You say....
We believe that as parents we needed at times to make decisions on behalf of our children because that is what they were: children who by their vary nature do not yet possess the requisite knowledge, judgment and maturity to make certain decisions.

exactly same story as my parents' and every deaf child's parents'. I'm sorry but your case is not special or exceptionally different. Your daughter is same as us, like it or not. and she's not gonna tell you the truth. She's gonna grow up as a wonderful person and she's gonna tell you what you want to hear.

:wave:

ah yes yes.... typical defensive response. Yes yes - let it all out and say all these same ole' lines I hear all the time. I'm not surprised.

I am perfectly capable of telling truth to my parents but it's not worth breaking their heart over it. I don't want them to cry and feel a deep sense of regret for years. I do not want their last words to be "I'm sorry..." on their death bed.

You say....

exactly same story as my parents' and every deaf child's parents'. I'm sorry but your case is not special or exceptionally different. Your daughter is same as us, like it or not. and she's not gonna tell you the truth. She's gonna grow up as a wonderful person and she's gonna tell you what you want to hear.

:wave:

So, sincere question here ... does every child who is implanted at an early age grow up unhappy with their parents decision to implant them?

So, sincere question here ... does every child who is implanted at an early age grow up unhappy with their parents decision to implant them?

Let me help you understand something. We are not against CI or letting deafies hear/talk. We are simply against audist attitude.

This is the right question to ask us - "Is every deaf child disappointed with their parents' decision to not expose him/her to deaf culture and ASL because such thought of not being able to hear/talk is awful and crippling?"

My answer - yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back