CDs TO HELP RESTORE HEARING?

Kat I'm not sure anyone has said this, but welcome to alldeaf. When I was diagnosed this website was one of the first places I found. I was in denial, sad, pissed off, upset. But having been here, reading and asking questions, I know I will be just fine the way I am. So will you and your son :)

You truly need to stop looking for "miracle cures" and start tending to your child's needs. Get online and order a sign language book. Get a book or two about raising a deaf child. One I would recommend is "Sound and Silence". You have a deaf child. You don't have a hearing child. I'm sorry if I sound blunt, but too many parents waste time trying to find some miracle out there that is going to ease their pain by making their child a reasonable facsimile of a hearing kid, and all it does is waste valuable time that needs to be spent helping your child become the very best deaf person he can.

I know that this is not the end of the world for us, it may well be a new challenge. Apart from the first shock, I just try to imagine what life will be for him being "different" in a world with people that can hear. But I guess that since the doc told us about cochlear implants, we are talking about profound deafness and I should take some action.

Several people on here have made the decision to implant their children, including GrendelQ and Cloggy. You might want to search for their posts (use "search" function and enter name). Both of them are pleased with the results, their children are doing very well, and would do it again.

Also baseballboy was implanted as a young child, and is happy it was done. I believe there are a few others.

There are also a couple people (at least) who were implanted and have had problems, including severe headaches, the devices not functioning properly, etc.

There is a lot of information out there about it, and personal histories, both pro and con. Many of the more vociferous people arguing against it have chosen not to be implanted or not to implant their children, so the arguments are often more from a philosophical point of view than from actual negative experience with implantation.

If there are any on-line support groups for Greek parents of deaf children, that would be a wonderful source for you, as those people would be much more likely to have local experience with Greek or European doctors. That specific experience probably is not much represented here on AD. I think there is one other person from Greece who posts here once in a while, if memory serves.

I know that this is not the end of the world for us, it may well be a new challenge. Apart from the first shock, I just try to imagine what life will be for him being "different" in a world with people that can hear. But I guess that since the doc told us about cochlear implants, we are talking about profound deafness and I should take some action.

What kind of action?

This particular method is considered an alternative medical treatment. It involves a quack device which is marketed as a cure all.

Eventually he left the orthodox medical community, admitting that his practice was beyond the scope of normative allopathic comprehension. He named his new field audio-psycho-phonology.

Although the auditory stimulation technique sounds like it would have some potential for improving a person's listening and communication, after examining the clinical tests available one can conclude that it lacks the concrete evidence needed to become a standard treatment.

There is no medical treatment that can fix hearing loss. The only exception would be stapes surgery and that's not favored because of it's failure rate.

Take some time to discuss your concerns and fears with a professional. You need to accept your child with a hearing loss so that you can be the parent he needs.

Action that could be of use to my child instead of feeling sad.

You need to grieve. It is a natural reaction for a parent. Just don't let it turn into a pity party. Your child is fine. Nothing has changed for him. It has only changed for you. Don't make your issues his issues. He will only begin to see himself as "abnormal" if you teach him he is so through your own actions.

Hello Kat05

I'm from Greece , and I can help you - I'm profoundly deaf , wore HA's all my life , and now I wear a CI for the past three and half years.I can help you with resources , advice , anything.

my e-mail is emor@it.teithe.gr , you can email me anytime and ask me ANYTHING.I also have a (neglected now bc of health reasons ) blog , that can be found at Ακοή - Ï€Ïιν, Ï„ÏŽÏα , μετά! where you can read in Greek some things about me and my CI and some stories of my childhood.I was raised oral , learned to talk bc of my mother and I'm very happy , even without GSL.It is possible for your son , you just have a LOT of work ahead of you.

Kat05,

Sorry to responding so late but I do hope that you follow up with Vivie and if you are interested in learning about cochlear implants for your child that you check out the ci circle which is a forum where the main focus is on children with cochlear implants.
Best Wishes,
Rick

There is nothing wrong with Vivie mentioning her blog as a resource, several people, yourself included, even "liked" the post.
29 minutes.

Seems odd to be concerned about the OP nearly two weeks after it was made especially when other members seek advice about different products and institutions all the time but whatever floats your boat.

seems odd to be concerned about the op nearly two weeks after it was made especially when other members seek advice about different products and institutions all the time but whatever floats your boat.

1 month of stewing.

fify.

Back