CDs TO HELP RESTORE HEARING?

kat05

Reaction score
Has any of you with hearing problems tried to listen to special CDs that promise to help restore hearing providing a variety of frequencies so as to activate the hearing nerve? I was thinking whether this method could help my son (16 months old) who was diagnosed as profoundly deaf however he turns at many noises and his little screams reveal that he can hear SOMETHING (according to his speech therapist)... Any experience from anybody with the CDs???

I guess that the CDs should be used from those who do not have a harmed hearing nerve, right? How can I know that my son belongs in this group? His exams (ABR, ASSR) showed that one ear is completely deaf while the other gives a response at 100 dB. He was OK at birth, with a clear medical record, no other incidents in our families, no viruses during my pregnancy, no fevers, meningitis, drugs or anything else.
I was wondering whether his hearing could be helped by these CDs because he also faced hypotonia of the trunk which was successfully treated with physical therapy. So I understand that these CDs could be some kind of "physical therapy" for the nerves of hearing, or not?

Has any of you with hearing problems tried to listen to special CDs that promise to help restore hearing providing a variety of frequencies so as to activate the hearing nerve? I was thinking whether this method could help my son (16 months old) who was diagnosed as profoundly deaf however he turns at many noises and his little screams reveal that he can hear SOMETHING (according to his speech therapist)... Any experience from anybody with the CDs???

If they worked, we'd be using them, not hearing aids. Don't fall for this...it's a scam. Reminds me of those herbal pills and lotions that promise to increase your bust size by 2 cups.

If they worked, we'd be using them, not hearing aids. Don't fall for this...it's a scam. Reminds me of those herbal pills and lotions that promise to increase your bust size by 2 cups.

What!?!?!? Those don't work? I'll bet you think diet and exercise makes for better weight loss, too. ;)

He was OK at birth

Just an FYI, your son is still OK, he is Deaf and that is okay. The sooner you come to terms with this and see that nothing is wrong with him, the sooner you can all move on with your lives. Instead of trying to find something to "fix him" learn ASL. :)

OK it seems too good (and simple) to be true however I saw that this method is based on a scientific study (I don't know whether I am allowed to write here the name of the scientist). So I just wondered...

OK it seems too good (and simple) to be true however I saw that this method is based on a scientific study (I don't know whether I am allowed to write here the name of the scientist). So I just wondered...

:mad2: Arghh... Are you a spammer?

No I am not a spammer. I am a mother of a toddler diagnosed as almost deaf and I am trying to be informed so as to do for him what is best. Maybe what I ask seems foolish to you, I don't know. Maybe it's still the shock I am under.

Just an FYI, your son is still OK, he is Deaf and that is okay. The sooner you come to terms with this and see that nothing is wrong with him, the sooner you can all move on with your lives. Instead of trying to find something to "fix him" learn ASL. :)

what is a FYI?

I think you're referring to the rehabilitation program for the computer. My audiologist tried to sell me the software. I got a new audiologist. I haven't heard of anyone who successfully used the programs. I think it's more snake oil. I know that you're looking for a solution, but beware of scams.

"FYI" means "For Your Information".

Your son has profound hearing loss, same as I have.

I grew up with this in a regular school and it wasn't all fun, to put it mildly. It wasn't outright horrible for me, but I wish the teachers had taught me ASL and put me in touch with deaf/hard-of-hearing friends as I was growing up... whether in the local community or at a deaf summer school program, etc.

Like other posters have said, your son is deaf. Audiologists and Hearing Impaired programs might say he is hard-of-hearing, and it is a really fine line there.

I was taught to speak with speech training, and speech is useful to me. But at the same time, I have a really, really hard time hearing people. My social life has suffered because I can't hear people well enough.

That's why, in my 30s, I have finally discovered the deaf community and am learning ASL.

Don't make your son wait so long, would be my advice.

Audio CD's will not cure your son's deafness. He may hear some sounds, like I do. He might even eventually enjoy music in some ways, like I do.

But he is deaf, like I am. Not 100% deaf, but profoundly deaf.

It's best to come to terms with this as soon as possible. It may be a shock to you at this point, but it is not the end of the world. There is a rich life available and open to him.

But he is going to need:

* speech training in a hearing impaired program (maybe, if he can hear well enough)
* enrollment in a hearing impaired school program or even a deaf school (some great deaf schools out there, check them out)
* learning American Sign Language, people at home should learn and use it too. He may be able to communicate orally at home, and that's fine, but let him learn and use ASL too.
* hearing aids
* auditory trainer for the classroom

Get in touch with your local or state programs for the deaf and talk to these people. Get in touch with the local deaf community.

Be prepared... it's a tough crowd sometimes. But we mean well... we've been through a lifetime of this and we want the best for deaf/hoh everywhere.

Good luck and congratulations on your fine baby boy! :)

Edit: To give you some idea of what your son hears, listen to the Profound Hearing Loss audio clip on this page: http://facstaff.uww.edu/bradleys/radio/hlsimulation/ This clip is an approximation. People with profound hearing loss may hear a little differently, but this will give you an idea.

I don't know where you live, but the best place to start may be your state deaf school. Contact the school and they can connect you with local resources. You're best support will come from other moms with deaf/hoh kids. It's always like that (hearing child or deaf). Good luck!

I would love to have a citation for the "scientific study." Please, do tell us who the scientist is and the title of the published research paper.

I don't know where you live, but the best place to start may be your state deaf school. Contact the school and they can connect you with local resources. You're best support will come from other moms with deaf/hoh kids. It's always like that (hearing child or deaf). Good luck!

Unfortunately, I live in a greek island... There is no school for deaf here. This is partially why I am so shocked, I think it will be really tough.

what is a FYI?

For your information...FYI.

You have a very large deaf community here as your resource. If we say this software is bullshit, then it is. google "scam + (name of software)" and see what comes up.

Back