CDs TO HELP RESTORE HEARING?

Kat, how difficult is it for you to get to Athens? Do you know if there are better services for the deaf/hard-of-hearing there?

Kat, how difficult is it for you to get to Athens? Do you know if there are better services for the deaf/hard-of-hearing there?

Good question - I'm surprised she is not considering this first over the CDs will make you hear thing. I am starting to wonder...

Starting to wonder what?

People unfamiliar with hearing loss and related issues might find all sorts of misguided, incorrect, or blatantly harmful information on the internet, and it can be difficult to sort out what's what at first glance.

Maybe you should do some research into hearing loss yourself, No software will help im afraid best to focusing on a combined sign and hearing aids (if they can help) approach

Starting to wonder what?

People unfamiliar with hearing loss and related issues might find all sorts of misguided, incorrect, or blatantly harmful information on the internet, and it can be difficult to sort out what's what at first glance.

First of all, whomever diagnosed her child would have automatically given her a ton of information and resources on what to do. They would have given her various options to consider. That's their duty as a doctor or as an audiologist. They don't just give baby hearing tests and then kick you out the door with nary a word of advice on what your options and resources are.

her excuse that's she stuck on a greek island thus reducing her to consider possiblities like CDs to make you hear better just doesn't sound true. Greece is a very small place, one can easily island hop and affordably to Athens. Also, there are tons of places and resources for parents of deaf kids on the internet, why is she not employing any of these options and instead asking questions about this magical CD? Doesn't Greece have free healthcare? She can get all kinds of products for her child - FREE. Hearing aids, implants, tests, doctors, audiologists, all FREE.

I am just suspicious that our leg is being pulled.

In the other thread, she said she just found out this week about her child's severe hearing loss.

It doesn't sound to me like she's pulling anyone's leg, but just trying to sort out what she's finding out from various sources.

It's common to turn to the Internet these days for all sorts of things, and there is trash along with the treasures to be found there. So she's found something and came here to ask about it, and folks have told her it's surely a scam.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see anything terribly strange about that.

In the other thread, she said she just found out this week about her child's severe hearing loss.

It doesn't sound to me like she's pulling anyone's leg, but just trying to sort out what she's finding out from various sources.

It's common to turn to the Internet these days for all sorts of things, and there is trash along with the treasures to be found there. So she's found something and came here to ask about it, and folks have told her it's surely a scam.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see anything terribly strange about that.

the thing is i am quite certain I remember this poster and she didn't just find out last week - in fact she posted about discovering about her child's deafness a few months ago. that's why i'm suspicious. And if that CD actually worked, it would have been more widely known and employed and recommended and discussed and papers would have been written about it as well as independent studies.

anyway.

Parents who find out things like this about their child freak out at first. It's like how even though a parent of a child who was just diagnosed with diabetes may have been told that their kid needs to take shots, they might still try snake oil cures, clinging onto any hope that their kid can still be "normal." I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on this right now.

BTW, OP, it's not like physical therapy for the ears because PT is to help weak/low tone muscles get stronger. Deafness is not caused by any sort of muscle problem, so it's simply not possible to "fix" it like that.

the thing is i am quite certain I remember this poster and she didn't just find out last week - in fact she posted about discovering about her child's deafness a few months ago. that's why i'm suspicious.

Well, that's impossible because she just joined this month.

Unless you mean this is a duplicate/sockpuppet account.

I'm not saying that this particular person is a fraud but there are disturbed people who go onto specific forums claiming to have an disease/problem that they don't have for attention. I'm not a shrink and I can't explain it. Some people think that negative attention is better than no attention at all. We can't tell who might be faking having a deaf kid on the internet. I've given this person the best idea that I have. That's good enough and I'm going to move on to something else.

I'm not saying that this particular person is a fraud but there are disturbed people who go onto specific forums claiming to have an disease/problem that they don't have for attention. I'm not a shrink and I can't explain it. Some people think that negative attention is better than no attention at all. We can't tell who might be faking having a deaf kid on the internet. I've given this person the best idea that I have. That's good enough and I'm going to move on to something else.

Will follow your example and move on.

heh....
I just had to read what this CD was all about. So you have to listen to it for it to do any good?

riigghtt.

Look I tried the new age " activate your DNA" crap to see if it worked and it doesn't.
I doubt this will either.

I am really sorry that I look like a spam to you. I am just freaked out and trying to do what is best.
The method I read about is called Tomatis method if I am not mistaken.
And no it is not so simple for us to go to Athens, neither so cheap neither do we have everything prepaid from our government.
The doctor after the hearing tests told us about hearing aids and then cochlear implant. Nothing else, that's why I am trying to search the internet. I did not expect that I would sound so fishy to you.

My apologies.

It's not the end of the world that your chld has a hearing problem - it just means his reality is a bit different from yours. He can still think, walk, love, study, etc. If he needed to wear glasses, would you be freaked out?

I looked up Tomati's Method and it's not meant to be used for children with hearing problems - in fact, it's meant to be used for people who CAN hear very well but don't listen very well. (Language disorders). Deaf children don't have language disorders - they just can't hear. So, a deaf child who hear only some words are going to develop language skills based on those few words he can recognize.

That's why it's crucial you learn and use sign with your child. CRUCIAL. So he can develop linguistic skills properly and not be delayed.

Get in touch with any deaf org in greece, they will help you. You don't need to be alone through all of this and grasping at straws. The deaf org can connect you with other parents, and give you all kinds of support and information.

Back