Can hearing buy Sorrensen VP-200????

Not to mention I'm finding bugs looking as pretty as this on some of the VP's that were dumped on us.

Richard

Attachments

• parasite4nn.jpg
    parasite4nn.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 15
... That means that the government pays money to companies who provide the interpreters and technology for deaf people to access the telephone. ...
From whom does the "government" get the money to support the service? Is it from the phone bill tax (which means it's from other phone users)? Or is it from a different general taxpayer fund? Or a combination?

If you have deaf parents, I think they can simply apply for one and get it for free.

Would you rather buy them one as a present or buy them something else as a present and then mention that you would like them to get one for free so you can talk to them?

From whom does the "government" get the money to support the service? Is it from the phone bill tax (which means it's from other phone users)? Or is it from a different general taxpayer fund? Or a combination?

From what I read here:

NECA - About Us - NECA History

Starting in 1993, they administrate the monies for relay services like VRS. The FCC is the responsible government organization, but NECA oversees the money.

From what I can read and understand, NECA does some calculations where all telephone companies they manage from the FCC (they say there's over 1000 of them) have to pay into this fund that then pays into the relay service.

NECA - Tools - TRS Fund

Carriers must report their previous year's revenues on the FCC Form 499A Telecommunications Reporting Worksheet annually on April 1. The interstate and international end user revenues reported on that form are used to determine the contribution base for the Interstate Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) Fund and to develop the annual carrier contribution factor.

From what I see of "carrier contribution factor" I take it to mean that those telephone companies have to pay in a certain amount per year, and how they get it, I honestly don't know.

If you look in phond bill "Universal Service Fund", usually they mentioned for 911 service center funds, that is where they get money from to pay for such services, plus Im sure government throw in some extra money. I think somewhere $3.50 for USF, and cell phone just started to pop up, due to decline landline phone, forcing FCC to look to collect fund elsewhere.

On my phone bill, it shown as "Telcom Relay Service Fund" under Essential Services which each customer pay 4 cents monthly. There's varies charges depend on what state and perhaps what city on their bills.

Some area dont have plm with that, while others object big time so term was changed to "Universal Service Fund" as if it were nice way of saying this tax is for general services that is involved with telephone to shadda them up.

On my phone bill, it shown as "Telcom Relay Service Fund" under Essential Services which each customer pay 4 cents monthly. There's varies charges depend on what state and perhaps what city on their bills.

What about if you are hearing but your spouse or significant other isn’t and you are in different cities or countries. Like hansome smiley (hearing) was in Germany in the military for a while and his wife, (Deaf), was here. She recently moved there, I believe, but while she was here it would have been great for him to have a VP. If you are hearing and in a relationship with Deaf and you don’t live together for what ever reason, can the Deaf person get one for their hearing significant other if they already have one?

What about using eyetoy tv chat through Playstation 2's network? Have seen an ad for that, and seems similar to VP because they both use TV live.

can install software to turn as vp on computer. There are several to do start with Netmeeting and more. HOVRS's VideoSign is sweet.

What about if you are hearing but your spouse or significant other isn’t and you are in different cities or countries. Like hansome smiley (hearing) was in Germany in the military for a while and his wife, (Deaf), was here. She recently moved there, I believe, but while she was here it would have been great for him to have a VP. If you are hearing and in a relationship with Deaf and you don’t live together for what ever reason, can the Deaf person get one for their hearing significant other if they already have one?

short answer...no.

long answer...thats exactly what they want. they would be using relay service quit a bit, raking in money for it.

my girlfriend is deaf, she was able to get a vp, but i was not. If you wanna get back at em tho, use a 3rd party relay service, i know of one thats deaf owned, but i dont wanna advertise here.

there are ways for hearing to get a vp tho....

short answer...no.

long answer...thats exactly what they want. they would be using relay service quit a bit, raking in money for it.

my girlfriend is deaf, she was able to get a vp, but i was not. If you wanna get back at em tho, use a 3rd party relay service, i know of one thats deaf owned, but i dont wanna advertise here.

there are ways for hearing to get a vp tho....

Yes only way do that get D-Link i2eye not a Sorenson.

Sorenson and D-Link

In Canada we are starting to get Videophones. At local Deaf group after returning home We tried to be able to just dial up each other by using the enter telephone number feature in each of these videophones.

Here is what we are using: 1 Free VP-100 and 2 DVD-1000 i2Eye

WRONG ! After much looking around on the internet I have located information. Does anyone remember the VHS and Beta compatibility problems of the 1980s ! How about the Blu-ray vs the HD DVD ?

In Canada Sorenson is giving away VP-100 if you are Deaf and you apply.
If you want to buy one then Canadian Hearing Society is selling the D-Link DVC-1000 i2Eye. It is not like we are trying to call each other via the VRS. We want to call directly from one person to another.

The problem with dialing with IP is that every now and again the ISP (Sympatico or Rogers) will change your IP. Then it does not work.

see: Videophones Sorenson and D-Link

Jim

I was just curious if I can buy this new product. I know people are waiting for the new VP200, but can I buy it.

I went to sorrensen.com to check it out, but no information. . .only on how to get it free. . .but I am CODA. . . I need one for Christmas. . .what do you think. . . . .. maybe buy the D-link VP???

My hearing sister wanted buy one. I called sorenson that they said not accepted it. They told me go Best Buy store. Yes, It have there sell it....

In Canada we are starting to get Videophones. At local Deaf group after returning home We tried to be able to just dial up each other by using the enter telephone number feature in each of these videophones.

Here is what we are using: 1 Free VP-100 and 2 DVD-1000 i2Eye

WRONG ! After much looking around on the internet I have located information. Does anyone remember the VHS and Beta compatibility problems of the 1980s ! How about the Blu-ray vs the HD DVD ?

In Canada Sorenson is giving away VP-100 if you are Deaf and you apply.
If you want to buy one then Canadian Hearing Society is selling the D-Link DVC-1000 i2Eye. It is not like we are trying to call each other via the VRS. We want to call directly from one person to another.

The problem with dialing with IP is that every now and again the ISP (Sympatico or Rogers) will change your IP. Then it does not work.

see: Videophones Sorenson and D-Link

Jim

Sorenson is now exporting this problem to other countries. Does Sorenson offer video relay in Canada? Do they allow you to call other video relay services, if they exist?

Dang! The answer is no, Sorenson don't sell VP-100/200 at all. They were designed intended for Deaf and HOH.
The only option we have for you is that you buy I2eye from Dlink (DVC1000).

I even had some Deafies asking us if we sell directly to them! Nope!

I just spoke to D-Link. The DVC-1000 and DVC-1100 (wireless version) have both been discontinued. There may be a few in stock with online resellers, but D-Link has no more.

If I was Sorenson, I would sell videophone equipment and offer the monthly fee on service to use to make actual money. Then the FCC will pay less to save tax for govt to spend. Then Sorenson will be the next-gen business on telecommunicate over at&t.

Back