Can A Big Age Difference Between Two People Hurt The Relationship?

Since this thread have been bothering my mind, for some reason my mind just kept telling me "Post it! Post it!", but I have some of interesting experience involve with a mother and a 17 years old daughter who was dating with 39 years old man, that time was 3 years ago (2005) when I was living in Salem, Oregon at my 18th age. The mother and her daughter was my roommate living in a property where I was used to own, the mother have totally 3 children living with her, one boy and two girls. One of the girls was not home that much, she have been staying at the school so I don't have much stories about her involving with the situation so it's just the mother, the boy, the girl, and me.

Since the girl have been dating with the man, my house was like a nuthouse, alot of drama going on, I thought a minor dating with a big different age is wrong so I took the mother's side at the first, I have been supporting her mom all the way, such like stop the girl from using my Ogo (a pager), stop her from using the computer, I have to lock my computer with the password to keep her off my computer, many things I have been trying to help the mother to protecting the girl.

Guess what have happened? It's all screw up, doesn't work! The girl became so emotionally, causing drama, many things, the mother and I have been calling the police on her coming to my house about twice or three times every month, or have to call the police to look for her while she was running away.

I still remember one time, I was in my room using the computer and somehow I feel stomping around right outside my room so I take a peek at the living room that was outside of my room's door and notice the mother and the girl was fighting, pushing each other, and the mother seems was fed up with her so she walked to the kitchen, the girl was tried to follow her to fight more, but I pulled her into my room, I gave her the cigarettes to calm her down, and I was trying to talk with her, asking her if she want to go to the mall instead of making the drama with the mother, I was trying to cool her off, but she was too pissed off that time and took whole of my cigarettes pack and was trying to leave my room, in my mind, it's obsiviously she is about to running away again so I grabbed my cigarettes pack away from her and told her "No... I am not support you running away, but I do support if you would just try to relax, try to cool down." She stare at me like I don't care about her but too over-controlling her so she got mad and storming out of the front door and walk off.

Also other time I remember, I just walked back to my home from the food store, right time when I was entering the front door of my house, the boy scream at me "Help us! Please hide any weapons!", and I saw the mother was trying to call something, the girl was stopping her from calling something by pressing the "Off" button on the tty, I didn't know what exactly going on, but things seems obsiviously serious going on so I went to the kitchen, I just drop the foods on the counter and ignore them, I open the drawer and grab all of knifes, went in the bathroom, doing the same thing. I packed all of stuff that could hurt each other and put those up in the attic to hide it, then I went to the living room to see what's up, it appeared that the mother gave up and still fighting with the girl, the boy was sitting next to the mother, the boy seems was protecting her, and I walked back in the kitchen. I voiced her name to get her attention and prefer to talk her when I was in the kitchen so that the girl won't see what I just said, I asked her "Do you want me to call the cops at the gas station next block?", the mother was sighing, told me "Sure you can if you wanna to", so I went to the gas station and explained what happened thus the worker called the police for me and the police went to my house, I went back to my house too and everything went chill down when the police was there..

Last part I am going to say, the night when the mother and her son, and other girl went to their friend's place, only me and the girl at my house. That night is the only night I would ever see she was left out by her family in my house, I was kinda surprised that the mother allowed her stay at my house alone with me while she knows that I was planning to go up to Vancouver, Washington to meet my parents. The girl was expressed to me how she loved her boyfriend, and I was starting to realized that everything I supported her mom was all waste. Love is love, period. But the problem is that her mom was paying me the rent, if I took her daughter's side, then her mom would move out immedately and it would be more expensive for me to paying the bills, but one more thing I realized, it's important to be happy than being too conservation, so this night is the only chance I can finally HELP HER. So I decide to let her to use my Ogo and she told me that her friends from Vancouver, Washington was planning to take her away from Salem, probably go with her boyfriend or moving out of state or whatever, but I was very scared because I don't know what her mom will say if she will never come back, but I keep that off my mind and focus on getting ready to drive up to Vancouver, Washington to meet my parents. Later the same night, her friends successfully arrived to my house to pick her up, I hugged her to tell her good bye and she told me "thank you for helping me".

When I was at my parent's house at Vancouver, Washington at the same night, her mom called my mom to talk with me, she asked me where was the girl?? I told her I don't know, the last time I see her was when I told her good bye and I left the house.

Next day, when I came back to home in Salem, Oregon, a police was at my house talking with the mother, I was not involved but when the police left, the mother was crying so hard, she kept expressing to me how she loved her, she told me that the girl was out of the state with the father, and she just kept talking to me, I just don't know what to say but I felt VERY bad for her while it was my responibilities for her daughter's running away, also her mom told me that the police can't do anything about it because she will be 18 in few months later, also they are out of state polices so they can't do anything.

After those horrible going on, I have been trying to keep in touch with the girl, asking her if she was doing ok, she kept telling me that she was very happy living with her boyfriend.

And... That was 3 years ago, they are still together and married.

I realized that the love would never can be tell if it was a true or not, no matter what kind of people are, it's just the love that was important.

Sorry if long post, but it's one of my worth learning experiences..

wow interesting and sad story, Puyo...

Forbidden do not solve anything but worst... The children would listen if you sit down and have good talk with them.

My beloved husband was 8 years younger than me. ;) We were so much happier in our relationship for almost ten years.

Well one thing you got to think about is that age can catch up to you.

If you are in 30's or 40's and your lover is in 70's and 80's. The health care may become issues and you ending up paying the price.

One time I read the letter at my friend's house (I shouldn't have) and it mentions about her sister (I think) was sad or something about marrying husband who is a lot older than her because health issues and problem that appears. From the letter it does appears like she is regreting it or something.

But then again anything can happen in all relationships. You never know.

If you think having a happy 20 years is worth 5 years of suffering then I guess it's fine.

I don't think it makes a difference. I have a couple friends who are married to men who are 20 years older than them. My friend was 18 and the man was already pushing 40 when they met, now he's 59 and she's 39. My other friend is 35 and her hubby is 55 both my friends are still married. I dated a man who was 16 years older than me it didn't work out for me bec everyone is different.

my mom's parents were 5 years apart when they got married and have been married for 60 years i think not sure exactly before my grandpa died.

my parents were 3 years apart and still married and they will celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary in june

i don't care of age only i care is love, supports and personalities

wow interesting and sad story, Puyo...

Forbidden do not solve anything but worst... The children would listen if you sit down and have good talk with them.

Yupp I agree, forbidden does not solve the problem but worst.. Yeah I wish I've could do better with her and know about her lover alittle more so I can do better with her than before.. But oh well.. At least I helped her :)

Since this thread have been bothering my mind, for some reason my mind just kept telling me "Post it! Post it!", but I have some of interesting experience involve with a mother and a 17 years old daughter who was dating with 39 years old man, that time was 3 years ago (2005) when I was living in Salem, Oregon at my 18th age. The mother and her daughter was my roommate living in a property where I was used to own, the mother have totally 3 children living with her, one boy and two girls. One of the girls was not home that much, she have been staying at the school so I don't have much stories about her involving with the situation so it's just the mother, the boy, the girl, and me.

Since the girl have been dating with the man, my house was like a nuthouse, alot of drama going on, I thought a minor dating with a big different age is wrong so I took the mother's side at the first, I have been supporting her mom all the way, such like stop the girl from using my Ogo (a pager), stop her from using the computer, I have to lock my computer with the password to keep her off my computer, many things I have been trying to help the mother to protecting the girl.

Guess what have happened? It's all screw up, doesn't work! The girl became so emotionally, causing drama, many things, the mother and I have been calling the police on her coming to my house about twice or three times every month, or have to call the police to look for her while she was running away.

I still remember one time, I was in my room using the computer and somehow I feel stomping around right outside my room so I take a peek at the living room that was outside of my room's door and notice the mother and the girl was fighting, pushing each other, and the mother seems was fed up with her so she walked to the kitchen, the girl was tried to follow her to fight more, but I pulled her into my room, I gave her the cigarettes to calm her down, and I was trying to talk with her, asking her if she want to go to the mall instead of making the drama with the mother, I was trying to cool her off, but she was too pissed off that time and took whole of my cigarettes pack and was trying to leave my room, in my mind, it's obsiviously she is about to running away again so I grabbed my cigarettes pack away from her and told her "No... I am not support you running away, but I do support if you would just try to relax, try to cool down." She stare at me like I don't care about her but too over-controlling her so she got mad and storming out of the front door and walk off.

Also other time I remember, I just walked back to my home from the food store, right time when I was entering the front door of my house, the boy scream at me "Help us! Please hide any weapons!", and I saw the mother was trying to call something, the girl was stopping her from calling something by pressing the "Off" button on the tty, I didn't know what exactly going on, but things seems obsiviously serious going on so I went to the kitchen, I just drop the foods on the counter and ignore them, I open the drawer and grab all of knifes, went in the bathroom, doing the same thing. I packed all of stuff that could hurt each other and put those up in the attic to hide it, then I went to the living room to see what's up, it appeared that the mother gave up and still fighting with the girl, the boy was sitting next to the mother, the boy seems was protecting her, and I walked back in the kitchen. I voiced her name to get her attention and prefer to talk her when I was in the kitchen so that the girl won't see what I just said, I asked her "Do you want me to call the cops at the gas station next block?", the mother was sighing, told me "Sure you can if you wanna to", so I went to the gas station and explained what happened thus the worker called the police for me and the police went to my house, I went back to my house too and everything went chill down when the police was there..

Last part I am going to say, the night when the mother and her son, and other girl went to their friend's place, only me and the girl at my house. That night is the only night I would ever see she was left out by her family in my house, I was kinda surprised that the mother allowed her stay at my house alone with me while she knows that I was planning to go up to Vancouver, Washington to meet my parents. The girl was expressed to me how she loved her boyfriend, and I was starting to realized that everything I supported her mom was all waste. Love is love, period. But the problem is that her mom was paying me the rent, if I took her daughter's side, then her mom would move out immedately and it would be more expensive for me to paying the bills, but one more thing I realized, it's important to be happy than being too conservation, so this night is the only chance I can finally HELP HER. So I decide to let her to use my Ogo and she told me that her friends from Vancouver, Washington was planning to take her away from Salem, probably go with her boyfriend or moving out of state or whatever, but I was very scared because I don't know what her mom will say if she will never come back, but I keep that off my mind and focus on getting ready to drive up to Vancouver, Washington to meet my parents. Later the same night, her friends successfully arrived to my house to pick her up, I hugged her to tell her good bye and she told me "thank you for helping me".

When I was at my parent's house at Vancouver, Washington at the same night, her mom called my mom to talk with me, she asked me where was the girl?? I told her I don't know, the last time I see her was when I told her good bye and I left the house.

Next day, when I came back to home in Salem, Oregon, a police was at my house talking with the mother, I was not involved but when the police left, the mother was crying so hard, she kept expressing to me how she loved her, she told me that the girl was out of the state with the father, and she just kept talking to me, I just don't know what to say but I felt VERY bad for her while it was my responibilities for her daughter's running away, also her mom told me that the police can't do anything about it because she will be 18 in few months later, also they are out of state polices so they can't do anything.

After those horrible going on, I have been trying to keep in touch with the girl, asking her if she was doing ok, she kept telling me that she was very happy living with her boyfriend.

I realized that the love would never can be tell if it was a true or not, no matter what kind of people are, it's just the love that was important.

Yes... I do remember what you'd told me about that. A number is a number, it's not matter except odd years apart like 10 & 80 yrs, 6 & 18, etc.

Still I love your story of learning experience cos it actually did help me to learn a bit of more. ;);)

Yes... I do remember what you'd told me about that. A number is a number, it's not matter except odd years apart like 10 & 80 yrs, 6 & 18, etc.

Still I love your story of learning experience cos it actually did help me to learn a bit of more. ;);)

Yupp I am sure you remember what happened, even you know those people I was talking about.. :)

And I am glad to know that my story was a reflection :D

she was only 17 then and she should have obeyed her mother till she turns 18.

Yep have to agree with that, She should have obey her mother until she turned 18 to date anyone she wants. But when it come to kids there are limitions and rules. If it were my kids, I would not allow them to date somebody older to date my teens. I don't care what state a person from with their laws. My rules is law to my kids. Live under my roof you follow my rules. :)

she was only 17 then and she should have obeyed her mother till she turns 18.

Yep have to agree with that, She should have obey her mother until she turned 18 to date anyone she wants. But when it come to kids there are limitions and rules. If it were my kids, I would not allow them to date somebody older to date my teens. I don't care what state a person from with their laws. My rules is law to my kids. Live under my roof you follow my rules. :)

*sigh*... I want to ask a question, is it really necessary for a girl who soon to be 18 in about probably as little as 3 months to be so seriously obey parents, 100 percent obey, or would it be better for parents to let the girl to be independent alittle more so that she can be ready for being 18 as adult?

Also as I already said, me and my roommate (the mother) have been trying to stop her from being around with that 39 years old man for many times, and it never work, but bringing the polices to my house all the times, making her running away, more polices looking for her, many more worst stuff... It's like we are causing the war against that girl which are totally unnecessary, and cause everything unhappy.

So I am happy that I helped her to go with her father in different state where her father would be more fexibility(sp?) for her at her age. 17 years old is not much different than 18 years old. It's like I helped her to live with someone who would treat her as "woman", not a "girl" because she is not anymore.

*sigh*... I want to ask a question, is it really necessary for a girl who soon to be 18 in about probably as little as 3 months to be so seriously obey parents, 100 percent obey, or would it be better for parents to let the girl to be independent alittle more so that she can be ready for being 18 as adult?

Also as I already said, me and my roommate (the mother) have been trying to stop her from being around with that 39 years old man for many times, and it never work, but bringing the polices to my house all the times, making her running away, more polices looking for her, many more worst stuff... It's like we are causing the war against that girl which are totally unnecessary, and cause everything unhappy.

So I am happy that I helped her to go with her father in different state where her father would be more fexibility(sp?) for her at her age. 17 years old is not much different than 18 years old. It's like I helped her to live with someone who would treat her as "woman", not a "girl" because she is not anymore.

Maybe to you 17 is not much difference than 18. But to some parents it matter to them. It matter to me since it's against the law for minors (teenagers) date adult unless they are over 18 years old. But since you speaking of the girl you are talking about she can live with her father if her father don't mind for her to live with him but I am sure he have ground rules as well. But does the mother have full coustody of her daughter? if that so, then her mother have that power to say no. But remeber teenagers will try to play games with the parents to get what they want when the parents have a good reasons to say "no".

It would depend on the individual.

If they are really in love, great. If they aren't, then it's pointless.

It's always hard to tell whether they're really in love or not. :dunno:

Maybe to you 17 is not much difference than 18. But to some parents it matter to them. It matter to me since it's against the law for minors (teenagers) date adult unless they are over 18 years old. But since you speaking of the girl you are talking about she can live with her father if her father don't mind for her to live with him but I am sure he have ground rules as well. But does the mother have full coustody of her daughter? if that so, then her mother have that power to say no. But remeber teenagers will try to play games with the parents to get what they want when the parents have a good reasons to say "no".

Well I don't believe the law always solve the personal problem. There are drugs problem everyday even though it's illegal, there are thousands of teenagers start to smoke even though it's illegal, etc etc. The law doesn't always really work, especially when it got involved with the parents and children situation. It's just that the way I see about the law...

But for your question, yes that girl lived with her boyfriend in her father's house which the father allows. Also I am not sure if the mother had full custody, but I doubt she has because the father did nothing wrong with the children so the father still have the right to take care of the children.

Also, for your information on your last sentence, the girl did not play any game with the mother at all, the mother is just pressuring on her. That girl really want to stay in the same state I live, but the mother was too conservate over the girl, making her feel dependency, and pressuring on her many things, which doesn't make things goes well, but cause her to run away from the mothers for father to have someone being fexibility relationship with.

It would depend on the individual.

If they are really in love, great. If they aren't, then it's pointless.

It's always hard to tell whether they're really in love or not. :dunno:

Agree.

True PuyoPiyo but laws should protect children also. 39 years old man shouldn't been having sexual relations with a girl that is only 17, he could have been register as a sexual offender and I think parents need to be more aware of what is going on in their children's lives! I wouldn't allow my 17 years old son dating a woman that is 39, no way!

True PuyoPiyo but laws should protect children also.

Yes of course. We always need the law even though it does not always help, but there is always chance the law will help, the only problem is that the law seems too conservate against the personal rights.

39 years old man shouldn't been having sexual relations with a girl that is only 17, he could have been register as a sexual offender and I think parents need to be more aware of what is going on in their children's lives!

Well I just don't understand why some people think it's so wrong that a happy couple being together as long as they were happy?

Also do you know that in about 200 years ago, which are not really long time ago, it's usually men at 30's dating with girls at 12's, but now why do we see that as problem?

I wouldn't allow my 17 years old son dating a woman that is 39, no way!

Speechless because that's your personal ;)

How old are your children?

True, I myself am mother of pre-teenage & teenage sons. They need to know what right or wrong and share the discussion with agreement/disagreement with parents instead of get them to obey parent's rules all the time and do what they wants and then ends to fighting. They would lost their respect and rebel against their parents for not try to understand/listen them. That's problem.

Let adult children learn their own mistakes and then correct their mistakes next time instead of get their parents to control them and tell them what to do.

The children are not just little kids but they develop into emotionally and socially adults if you treat them with respect is open discussion and listener and reason with them instead of tell them what to do and see them in little children... They would become immaturity and rebel against you if you expect too much from them and want them do what you wants all the time.

Back