Calling all Nurses!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Start the nurses club here and you are president :lol:

:lol: I'll join!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

quirkylibra said:

:lol: I'll join!

Count me in!

Unfortunately I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say this thread is amazing and will be helpful and inspirational to many.

I wonder if I can learn to listen to the heart with a stethoscope for the deaf since I now have a cochlear implant. I've never heard the heart beating sound before in my whole life and am worried I won't be able to detect anything bad because I have no idea what good sounds like and what bad sounds like. I don't have a stethoscope and it is probably too expensive to get, so I probably won't be able to practice with it. I dunno. And same with taking blood pressure the manual way.

I googled stethoscope for the deaf and I don't see how I would be able to use it as I have a cochlear implant and it does not connect to my CI at all, from what I can see.

CAR-718-7700_2.jpg

I wonder if I can learn to listen to the heart with a stethoscope for the deaf since I now have a cochlear implant. I've never heard the heart beating sound before in my whole life and am worried I won't be able to detect anything bad because I have no idea what good sounds like and what bad sounds like. I don't have a stethoscope and it is probably too expensive to get, so I probably won't be able to practice with it. I dunno. And same with taking blood pressure the manual way.

I googled stethoscope for the deaf and I don't see how I would be able to use it as I have a cochlear implant and it does not connect to my CI at all, from what I can see.

CAR-718-7700_2.jpg

take a look at this site, it has one for cochlear implant: AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses it has many option to choose from.

have you all consider going to the same college so everyone can pair up and help each other? I know it's not easy, but I though maybe those who do have a choice can join the same college.

I'm staying here and going to either UTSA or SAC.

there has to be some way to bypass the sethoscope for deaf people. Technology nowadays makes it possible...it is the hospital, doctors office and etc that probably hang onto the old ways of "listening" to the heart.

Will join too!!!!!!

I can't use a Stethoscope, because I have no hearing aids or CI. I have no hearing whatsoever.

What should I do?

depending on the CI you have there are programable interfaces that can connect directly to audio boot of CI.
There is potential problems with heart sounds because most are 50-100 Hz and some heart murmurs are as low as 30 Hz. Bowel sounds are also around 100 Hz. It might be no problem at all if enough amplification can be achieved. It just takes practice to get the knack of it.

there has to be some way to bypass the sethoscope for deaf people. Technology nowadays makes it possible...it is the hospital, doctors office and etc that probably hang onto the old ways of "listening" to the heart.

When I spoke to the Nursing Coordinator's of the ADN Course, at the college, they said that using the stethescope is learned manually for several reasons, one being if there were equipment failure, or if you are somewhere where there are no equipments, and etc.

They also mentioned that equipment used to take BP, is not always reliable, and accurate.

Heart, Lung, Bowels sounds and BP are required for the students to be certified in CNA and then move on to ADN.

That hasn't stopped me from going to CNA though.

depending on the CI you have there are programable interfaces that can connect directly to audio boot of CI.
There is potential problems with heart sounds because most are 50-100 Hz and some heart murmurs are as low as 30 Hz. Bowel sounds are also around 100 Hz. It might be no problem at all if enough amplification can be achieved. It just takes practice to get the knack of it.

A CI map made specifically for the stethoscope might help.

When I spoke to the Nursing Coordinator's of the ADN Course, at the college, they said that using the stethescope is learned manually for several reasons, one being if there were equipment failure, or if you are somewhere where there are no equipments, and etc.

They also mentioned that equipment used to take BP, is not always reliable, and accurate.

Heart, Lung, Bowels sounds and BP are required for the students to be certified in CNA and then move on to ADN.

That hasn't stopped me from going to CNA though.

I never did do the Lungs and bowel sounds... but I did take how many breath they take per minute. That's easy to do as long as they don't know you are counting. I'm wondering that's what they are requiring CNA to do these days? I was on the job training to be a CNA. that mean I was paid to learn to be a CNA. In nursing homes, they will hire you, train you for 3 weeks or so and then you work for them. Maybe you can do it that way and tell the school you have a CNA license.

I have one more week before, my module2 ends. so much work and so little time :Ohno:.

Back