Calling all Nurses!

DGirl101

Reaction score
Recently I had a meeting with the coordinators of the Nursing program at the college I am attending.

In the meeting there were some discouraging news. They called cardonics, and spoke to a rep there and found out from the rep that the device, a "stethographic stethoscope" was not intended for those who have no hearing.

I'm scheduled to take the CNA course which is a requirement before attending the ADN course, if I take it I will fail and not be certified. I can, however, retest to become Certified. I HAVE to meet one of the criteria which is to hear Heart, Lung, Bowel sounds and be able to take BP.

Please help, anyone out there that can tell me what I can do?

I have one other option and that is to get a CI.....:|

I was a Certified Nurse Assistant, and was one for 3 years. I couldn't take Manual BP because of Stethoscope.

But I talked to the people who were doing the testing for CNA certification (on the day of the testing), and they let me skip the BP part and I was still able to get my certification because I passed everything else.

But I was getting a certification so I could work in Nursing homes, so I don't know there are different level of CNA certification or not.

Talk to the people who does the certification testing.. they will tell you what to do.

I am studying to be a medical assistant. Taking BP is now done with a machine in most hospitals. I know in school, you are taught with the stethoscope.

oh have you visit Vocational Rehab? They may be able to talk your college and everything and making sure they will help you.

I have seen deaf people become CNA's , LVNS and nurses, its possible to do. I hope everything works out like lighthouse said , contact a VR or counselor to get more suggestions. I sure hope others will share their experience with you here. I am still in school at the moment for medical assistant :)

I have seen deaf people become CNA's , LVNS and nurses, its possible to do. I hope everything works out like lighthouse said , contact a VR or counselor to get more suggestions. I sure hope others will share their experience with you here. I am still in school at the moment for medical assistant :)

Isn't Doug a nurse? Or is he still in school?

He is a nurse

I have a deaf friend whos a nurse too

In Sweden - there are countless nurses and stuff -- ILLEGAL for them to discriminate for any reasons.... if so, $$$$$$$$$$$$

why do I get a feeling that you're going there to bait and troll them into discriminating you :hmm:

With animals, a hearing veterinarian taught me this simple way... ie to "hear the heart"

I would put my hand on animal's heart and other hand on same animal's back leg "inside" to feel the beat and count the beating heart... this way I would be able to tell whether the animal have heart murmur or normal beat or slow beat or odd beat pulse.

For the blood pressure, I only use the automatic machines... no need to use stethoscope.

Good luck I hope you will find a solution.

Isn't Doug a nurse? Or is he still in school?

yes he was, but if I understood him correctly, I think he was hearing when he went to college to be a nurse so that made things easier for him.

I just remember something else, when I went in for the testing, they did made me explain the Blood Pressure to them and how it is suppose to be done. That way I can teach any hearing how to do it manually, but I can never do it myself.

yes he was, but if I understood him correctly, I think he was hearing when he went to college to be a nurse so that made things easier for him.

I just remember something else, when I went in for the testing, they did made me explain the Blood Pressure meaning to them and how it is suppose to be done.

yes he was hearing before and then his hearing got progressively worse.

.......right?

First things first. Doug to get well. Then answer when he can. :aw:

I am interested in reading more on this subject.

my mom is nurse for CCU known as Critical Care Unit after patient out heart surgery whatever types open heart surgery but my mom is now RN (Register Nurse) and CCRN (Critical Care Register Nurse)But my mom care patient after surgery not in OR (Operation Room)

when i was in high school i want become nurse and my mom carry books and its hard study..I love work with Labor and Delivery im really like care pregnant mom and baby when mom had baby born at hospital but its hard study to become RN

Dgirl101 I am not a nurse yet, but I am currently on my way to become one. I am a CNA and have worked in nursing homes and currently a hospital. As Oceanblue said, in the hospital, we use machines that take blood pressures for us. Every once in a while we do need to do manuals though. My case is a little different because I do have some hearing, but I wanted to recommend a couple websites that helped me a little. Hopefully when you do take the CNA course, your instructor will work with you the way that mine did. She was extremely helpful and pulled me out of the class and did blood pressures with me until I could do them alone. One trick is that you have see blood pressures with your eyes. Anyways, here are the websits:

AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses

allnurses: A Nursing Community for Nurses

Hey sorry sorry for giving no feedback in this thread yet. I honestly never even read it until now.

As far as my situation goes; I was normal hearing until just before my last semester of Nursing school. I missed a semester of school and went back the following semester to finish the program because it really was difficult for me to accept and achieve the appropriate adaptations to life.

I already had skills developed from being a CNA for a couple of years. I don't thing they would withold CNA licensure for needing assistance with just one or two skills. Ocean and Lighthouse is right being that they want skills done manually in class and for cert tests but in the hospital and practical setting it is a completely different thing- all machines and automized. My stethescope is a special Littman which has FM loop that connects to boots in my HA's. I also have alarm pagers for the life support equipment which my patients my be on. I would love answer any other questions anybody has about nursing- especially critical care nursing since that is what is my specialization. I'd love to help anyone, anytime and just post here or PM me anytime OK.

Hey sorry sorry for giving no feedback in this thread yet. I honestly never even read it until now.

As far as my situation goes; I was normal hearing until just before my last semester of Nursing school. I missed a semester of school and went back the following semester to finish the program because it really was difficult for me to accept and achieve the appropriate adaptations to life.

I already had skills developed from being a CNA for a couple of years. I don't thing they would withold CNA licensure for needing assistance with just one or two skills. Ocean and Lighthouse is right being that they want skills done manually in class and for cert tests but in the hospital and practical setting it is a completely different thing- all machines and automized. My stethescope is a special Littman which has FM loop that connects to boots in my HA's. I also have alarm pagers for the life support equipment which my patients my be on. I would love answer any other questions anybody has about nursing- especially critical care nursing since that is what is my specialization. I'd love to help anyone, anytime and just post here or PM me anytime OK.

May I ask what kind of hearing aids you wear?

Back