California!

shezzbeav

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

As some of you might know that I'm considering going to CSUN in 2010 on exchange... I was wondering about California.

- Places to visit
- Places to stay away from

I was also wondering about trekking to the rest of USA...
- States worth visiting
- Route 66 - worth the drive?

etc etc

Thanks!

i wish i can go with you to help ya out but i cant write all this down for ya.

I wasn't asking for an essay on California :P

Just a couple of simple points would suffice.

Avoid Watts, East Los Angeles, Compton, South Los Angeles, parts of Long Beach and several places throughout Los Angeles County. If you really have to be in any those places, don't go by yourself.

The area (Northridge) around CSUN is fairly safe.

Do google to read more on the gangs in Los Angeles.

When I have the time I will try to think more what to post here.

I put "PINK" in answers for ya! :)
Hey guys.

As some of you might know that I'm considering going to CSUN in 2010 on exchange... I was wondering about California.

- Places to visit- Too many to list...you can Google it and find something to do for fun!
- Places to stay away from Like what Brian said, I agreed...I used to live in Long Beach, I had no problem.

- States worth visiting- YES!!!!! We plan to one day! :)
- Route 66 - worth the drive?- I believe so yes! If you do, HAVE FUN!

etc etc

Thanks!

Avoid Watts, East Los Angeles, Compton, South Los Angeles, parts of Long Beach and several places throughout Los Angeles County. If you really have to be in any those places, don't go by yourself.

The area (Northridge) around CSUN is fairly safe.

Do google to read more on the gangs in Los Angeles.

When I have the time I will try to think more what to post here.

Yup, it's for people who seek for safe place to visit.

In around of CSUN, there's not nice part like some portion in Van Nuys and Reseda, Pacoima, Panorama City, somewhere in east valley and some part of Canoga Park, it's okay to visit on daytime but nighttime then need go with someone or avoid in some cases and there's barrio in somewhere in east and central part of valley.

There's several more area that's not nice part or barrio in anywhere of LA metro.

shezzbeav, have good luck with CSUN for your exchange.

Hey guys.

- Places to visit
- Places to stay away from

- States worth visiting
- Route 66 - worth the drive?

etc etc

Thanks!

Depends----what do you like to do and see?

A very important point you should know about California...the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS. I'm making double but with the COL, I'm more broke than I've ever been in my life. On the plus side, there are so many cool things to do there.

I'm just merely asking you for your personal recommendations and experiences about California.

I've been Googling, and a lot of places sounds good, but I'd like to hear it personally from those who have been to California.

Thanks everyone :D I'm excited to hear more from you all!

Northern coastal California along Hwy 101 is awesome--especially the Redwoods....

The wine country is also worth checking out.

San Francisco is very cosmoplitan and worth checking out. Lake Tahoe is also worth a visit.

Southern California is okay. I like the Joshua Tree National monument and Death Valley.

A lot to do in L.A.--Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Unviersal Studios, Disneyland, etc, etc.

Are you also planning to travel through the USA? If so--wherebouts?

That's more like it, Brydie714 ;D

Ohhh... those places sounds really good! A close friend of mine went to San Francisco recently, and said it's worth visiting.

I'd love to travel through the USA - was thinking of Texas, Florida, Washington, New York, etc.

Visiting San Francisco is DEF worth a visit, I have been there, and the view blew me away for sure. Go and explore alcatraz Island, really good place. Where to get there, jump in a tour boat off Pier 35, savvy?

I had visited California as LA, SF, SD, San Jose and Sacemento in several times. I had enjoyed to visit Redwood Forest on Highway 101 in northern Calif., Lake Tahoe and Yosemite national park.

That's more like it, Brydie714 ;D

Ohhh... those places sounds really good! A close friend of mine went to San Francisco recently, and said it's worth visiting.

I'd love to travel through the USA - was thinking of Texas, Florida, Washington, New York, etc.

That's a big list! :lol:

Understand that the United States is very diverse from region to region, from the way people talk to the culinary specialities....

Each region has it's uniqueness....so I'll do my best in telling you what there is to do and see.

The New England states--there is a lot to see, especially in Boston--from Paul Revere's famous ride and the fight for Independence. North Boston is an enclave of Italian immigrants and anytime I visit, I kind of feel like I am in Italy. Hop on a boat and ride out to Cape Cod, Provincetown--which is a party town in the summer months and worth a visit as well. Maine is a beautiful state to visit--my favorite spot is Ogunquit, ME. Small and quaint. If travelling during the Fall season--check out Vermont, the fall foliage is worth seeing.

Mid-Atlantic states--That area is NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA, and Washington DC. Again-- a lot of history dedicating to the formation of America from Revolutionary battlesites to the American Civil war ( Gettysburg, PA ). New York has a lot to offer especially New York City--you may even ask Jiro to give you a tour-- from Broadway shows, Statue of the Liberty, Ground Zero, but remember that there is also upstate New York such as Niagara Falls, Rochester--home of NTID, etc. Pennsylvania has sites to see such as Philadelphia--Independence Hall, Hershey--home of the Hershey kisses chocolate factory, Pittsburgh. State Maryland has Baltimore, home of Fort Henry, Inner Harbor. Maryland also has Ocean City and just north of there is Rehoboth Beach, DE. Both places are nice to go to. When in Baltimore--try the Maryland blue crabs with beer! Wonderful dish. Washington DC has a lot to see from the Smithsonian Museum to the Capitol to Gallaudet University and again--ask Authentic to give you a tour.....

The Southeast--Again a lot of history pertaining to the American Civil War and my favorite is Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Both cities have a lot of charm and oozes with history. There are some places in the Southeast where one can stayon a plantation and experience what it was like to be a slave. The city of New Orleans, LA is a good city to check out especially around Mardi Gras--that town knows how to drink and party~ As for culinary--try fried foods like fried alligator, fried twinkies, okra, sweet potato pie, pecan pie and my favorite sweet tea.

Florida is different from Southeast due to the close proximity to the Carribean and if you get the chance--hop on the boat to the Bahamas or fly to Puerto Rico and USVI as they are American territories and you would get the Carribean experience as well. Florida has Kennedy Space Center, Disney World, the Everglades and the Florida Keys.

Texas--what can I say about Texas? Everything is BIG! Bar-be-que is everywhere in Texas. Texas has a mixture of white influence and Hispanic influences as well. Cuisine is very good and hearty in Texas. Visit the Alamo in San Antonio. Austin has a good jazz and blues scene if you are into music.

The MidWest--MI, OH, IN, IL, KY, WI, MN, IO, MO, KS, NE, SD, ND--this area is known as the "breadbasket of America" as it is predominately agriculture. There are many wonderful things about the MidWest from Chicago to St. Louis to Cincinnati to Cleveland, Detroit, Minnenapolis, Indianapolis, etc. Each city has its own flair and contribution to history. You can visit many Presidential homes in Ohio to Lincoln's home in IL. The food is very midWestern--hearty and wholesome! There are several amusement parks such as 6 Flags, Cedar Point, King's Island. Also in SD--there is Mt Rushmore as well as the Badlands of the Dakotas. If travelling--check out Wall Drug, SD. Its a tacky tourist trap but worth it!

The Rockies--home of many national parks such as Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons, Devil's monument, Crowe Indian reservation, and many state parks as well. The scenery is breathtaking. Also--if you travel through the Rockies, just try to stay at a "working ranch", who knows, you might get lucky with an cowboy! :giggle:

The Southwest has a lot to offer as well. Again, many influences of Hispanic and Native American art. The Grand Canyon and Sedona are both worth checking out. Sedona is home to the Red Rock Canyon whereas Grand Canyon is one of the 7 wonders of the world. In New Mexico--there is a town called, Roswell, home of the UFO crash which is fascinating and makes one wonder if there is life out in outer space.

The Pacific Northwest which includes OR, WA and AK has a lot to offer as well. From Portland to Seattle to Anchorage--each city is surronded by geogrpahical beauty of the mountains, and water. There is Crater Lake in southern oregon which was caused by an implosion of a volcano as well as the Oregon coast which extends up into Pacific county, WA. ( My home.) as it is sandy beaches. Portland, OR has a lot of history as well as art. My weird place to visit in Portland is the Voo Doo Donuts as well as the Chinese Gardens. In Seattle--check out Pike Place market, Capitol hill, take a ferry boat ride to Bainbridge Island. Again the cuisine is difference as it is focused on seafood and there is a lot of Asian influence due to close proximity to the Orient.

Now I hope this helps and remember this is a general summary of what to expect when travelling in the USA.

If you want specifics to an area--let us know! :)

Wow, Brydie714, that was an excellent summary on places to visit in the USA. Thank you SO much!

What do you guys know about Route 66?

Wow, Brydie714, that was an excellent summary on places to visit in the USA. Thank you SO much!

Yes, I had drove on Route 66 in northern Arizona Last May. :lol:

Route 66 is a designated historical highway and some towns have turned themselves into tourist traps, marketing Route 66.....

It's cool and in some places a little funky. But if you really want to move around--I would stick with the Interstate highway system.

Problem with Route 66 is that there are speed limits in towns and you won't be able to move as quick especially if one is on a time frame.

Route 66 is a designated historical highway and some towns have turned themselves into tourist traps, marketing Route 66.....

It's cool and in some places a little funky. But if you really want to move around--I would stick with the Interstate highway system.

Problem with Route 66 is that there are speed limits in towns and you won't be able to move as quick especially if one is on a time frame.

Yeah, and I suppsed you know Route 66 commences here by the ocean somewhere and meanders on to Chicago.

Good stuff Byrdie. I once read that if one planned (and has the money, lol) every single week-end to visit/join in an activity in California, one would die of old age long before seeing/doing everything. :lol:

Back