California School for the Deaf Riverside

You can see that my english is sort of limited, but I work for 17 yrs. It is important for any Deaf people who are educated with knowledges, AND CONFIDENCE that does matter to them.

I know several people who have limited english but work as Systems Support Analyst or engineers it pays over 70k. They are capable of jobs and understand how to do with their jobs.

I suggest you to put more positive attitude toward to Deaf/deaf people.

More positive? You're talking to a college educated deaf person who never went to a deaf school; never learned sign until his 30's; never went on disability and has an engineering job. I don't know how I could be any more, "positive" about what a deaf person can do. I've lived it.

Ironically, this is dependent on whether the park service provides an environment in which all animals have equal access to food.

That's a great one but let's be honest... it's survival of the fittest out there. It doesn't matter if the coyote is Deaf or hearing. They both will eat you just the same.

Just to be clear, I am not opposed to social programs. I just do not think that our government does enough to promote employment for the Deaf so they just throw us a check every month. I think that this money could be better managed.

all I can say, that your opinion about Deaf schools is not true. thats all but there are very few SMART DEAF PEOPLE who happens to graduate from Deaf schools. SURE they can! Of course there are too many low function Deaf kids who went to Deaf schools. I admit that i did socialize with low function Deaf peeps, because they were in the same school as I am. BUT what happened to them, well most of them finished boces program and have nice jobs while my job is different than what they had. BUT they do get a nice salary.

I dont think hes attacking deaf people. He did question the cirriculum. I think deaf schools baby them too much or dont challenge them hard enough. They are capable but its the principals, teachers, interpreters who are stupid as fuck. I mean, have you seen what they teach potential deaf educators and interpreters in college? Some shit makes me wanna scream. Theyre more about "deaf culture" than actually teaching deaf students. Its fuckin mind boggling.

More positive? You're talking to a college educated deaf person who never went to a deaf school; never learned sign until his 30's; never went on disability and has an engineering job. I don't know how I could be any more, "positive" about what a deaf person can do. I've lived it.

you are talking to a college educate Deaf person who went to a Deaf school; ASL user and have a job right after i finished galluadet. Yes i want to see that you put some positive vibes in you and see other D/deaf peeps too.

I dont think hes attacking deaf people. He did question the cirriculum. I think deaf schools baby them too much or dont challenge them hard enough. They are capable but its the principals, teachers, interpreters who are stupid as fuck. I mean, have you seen what they teach potential deaf educators and interpreters in college? Some shit makes me wanna scream. Theyre more about "deaf culture" than actually teaching deaf students. Its fuckin mind boggling.

yeah I know. I just want to make it clear and loud that some of those comments are true and not true. thats all.

That's a great one but let's be honest... it's survival of the fittest out there. It doesn't matter if the coyote is Deaf or hearing. They both will eat you just the same.

Just to be clear, I am not opposed to social programs. I just do not think that our government does enough to promote employment for the Deaf so they just throw us a check every month. I think that this money could be better managed.

To be fair, the government does provide a college just for US.

you are talking to a college educate Deaf person who went to a Deaf school; ASL user and have a job right after i finished galluadet. Yes i want to see that you put some positive vibes in you and see other D/deaf peeps too.

I do. I think we should lead by example.

Nobody on this thread is saying that deaf people are dumb. The focus is on how people are taught. Which was what Chuck brought up.

I'm of the opinion it should be a mixture of deaf and mainstream schooling.

Last edited:

How do you think the money should be spent?

IMO, we could do a tax break for hiring people with disabilities.

Does anyone have any experience with this school? They have an open position that I'm very interested in as I'm looking for employment within the Deaf community and I want to end up in a place that has a very nice community aspect. I recently put my new member profile in that area of the site and very excited to begin a new chapter in my life so any input would be amazing! Thanks in advance!

And you all gave her/him a bad picture of CSDR. Well, why thank you. You probably really should encourage him/her to fly over to different states for "best" Deaf schools. :roll:

Shel90 is right; you don't know what you guys are talking about. It's not easy to be teacher at any school. Not just Deaf schools. Recurrently, someone who works at Deaf school at middle area of USA, she told me that she tired of illegal immigrants because of a lack of English or ASL language and she had to work so hard to pull their kids' long delayed writing and reading up. But, it is sometimes difficult because non-English families do not know English nor ASL. Sometimes, Deaf schools receive Kids with CI plus their delayed language, regardless of their ages. I am not saying that illegal immigrants are bad parents, considering she understood why they want to do what best things for their children. I want to make it clear that not all Deaf schools have similar situations, anyway.

Not only them-- She had to deal with another audistic families (legal immigrants or USA citizens) because a few of them refused to learn ASL, so they don't get close with their Deaf kids. Additionally, they treated Deaf schools like a daycare...

Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about unless you're a teacher. No, never mind. Please keep mocking all Deaf teachers as much as you want! If that is what you feel better. Great. :roll:

How do you think the money should be spent?

IMO, we could do a tax break for hiring people with disabilities.

We already get a tax break for hiring the disabled. I am in the middle of doing our taxes. So far I have claimed two types of DAC taxes as I employ Deaf people, one coming off TANF. It certainly could be more but the credits are there.

I wish I could answer your question but I can't. I just know that giving someone a check every month for their entire lives isn't teaching them anything.

I think the way Texas has the STAP voucher program set up is a good way to spend money. Giving more Deaf people access to services which enables them opportunities to find jobs is what I'd call heading down the right path. In the process of setting up the program, the state hired Deaf people to run it. Instead of cutting them a check every month, they put them to work for it. We need more programs like this. Project Endeavor and the VRS markets are a couple other good examples of using taxpayer funds to put the Deaf to work.

Can we back off from the personal attacks here. There are points on both sides.

Yes, it is hard to be a teacher. And, yes, it is the job a teacher is supposed to perform whether it is hard or not. There is no middle ground here, but both sides want the same thing, a good education.

I remember a movie called Lean on Me starring Morgan Freeman about a principle in a failing school. I loved the movie. Especially the part when he kicked all the bad kids out of school. I told a friend about it and he scoffed at me. He said, you can't pick and choose who you teach. I still love the movie, but my friend was right.

I'd rather solve the problem than bicker about it.

Can we back off from the personal attacks here. There are points on both sides.

Yes, it is hard to be a teacher. And, yes, it is the job a teacher is supposed to perform whether it is hard or not. There is no middle ground here, but both sides want the same thing, a good education.

I remember a movie called Lean on Me starring Morgan Freeman about a principle in a failing school. I loved the movie. Especially the part when he kicked all the bad kids out of school. I told a friend about it and he scoffed at me. He said, you can't pick and choose who you teach. I still love the movie, but my friend was right.

I'd rather solve the problem than bicker about it.

I wont see anyone's opinion as valid until they have experienced being a teacher and an administrator. I used to think I knew it all before I entered the teaching training program at Arizona State University. It wasnt until I actually I got my first job was how little I knew and understood.

We already get a tax break for hiring the disabled. I am in the middle of doing our taxes. So far I have claimed two types of DAC taxes as I employ Deaf people, one coming off TANF. It certainly could be more but the credits are there.

I wish I could answer your question but I can't. I just know that giving someone a check every month for their entire lives isn't teaching them anything.

I think the way Texas has the STAP voucher program set up is a good way to spend money. Giving more Deaf people access to services which enables them opportunities to find jobs is what I'd call heading down the right path. In the process of setting up the program, the state hired Deaf people to run it. Instead of cutting them a check every month, they put them to work for it. We need more programs like this. Project Endeavor and the VRS markets are a couple other good examples of using taxpayer funds to put the Deaf to work.

Interesting. And, some good points.

Do you have to be legally deaf for the company to receive that credit?

It's a two part problem. One, deaf can't hear the sounds so it is difficult to pronounce words. This makes learning English and writing difficult. Two, deaf grow up in hostile environments were they have to think about protection more than education. This means they can't learn clearly and it ensures bad English.

You might be a great teacher, but the kid you teach might have other things on his/her mind besides learning. This was certainly the case in my life until my later years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a two part problem. One, deaf can't hear the sounds so it is difficult to pronounce words. This makes learning English and writing difficult. Two, deaf grow up in hostile environments were they have to think about protection more than education. This means they can't learn clearly and it ensures bad English.

You might be a great teacher, but the kid you teach might have other things on his/her mind besides learning. This was certainly the case in my life until my later years.

Not only that, many deaf kids come from homes where they cant communicate with their families so that is a lot of language access lost.

Interesting. And, some good points.

Do you have to be legally deaf for the company to receive that credit?

I don't know what legally Deaf means as I'm not familiar with it's requirements. Honestly, I never thought much about being legally Deaf. I don't have to carry ID that says I'm Deaf. It doesn't really matter because the very fact that you paid for accessibility services means you qualify. I pay for VRI, interpreters, as well as other minor things.

The employee that I claimed a DAC (disability access credit) coming off TANF... him being Deaf had nothing to do with it. It's just the fact that he came off TANF due to me reporting his employment status. I make it a solid point to communicate with the SSA and other welfare services and get credited when someone successfully gets off of it. It's money. I don't know how much I will get YET but you can get as much as $9000 for getting someone off TANF.

Not only that, many deaf kids come from homes where they cant communicate with their families so that is a lot of language access lost.

Exactly...

I don't know what legally Deaf means as I'm not familiar with it's requirements. Honestly, I never thought much about being legally Deaf. I don't have to carry ID that says I'm Deaf. It doesn't really matter because the very fact that you paid for accessibility services means you qualify. I pay for VRI, interpreters, as well as other minor things.

The employee that I claimed a DAC (disability access credit) coming off TANF... him being Deaf had nothing to do with it. It's just the fact that he came off TANF due to me reporting his employment status. I make it a solid point to communicate with the SSA and other welfare services and get credited when someone successfully gets off of it. It's money. I don't know how much I will get YET but you can get as much as $9000 for getting someone off TANF.

I don't know what TANF is, but it obviously infers legal paperwork. It is some kind of legal validation that the person is real and has a disability, the answer to my question.

I dont proclaim to be the perfect teacher with all the answers to all the problems. However, I show up to work 30 mins early without pay, bring home work, and sometimes stay 2 or 3 hours late because I am trying to provide my students the education they deserve. It is not easy when most of the curriculm is designed for hearing children. I have to be very creative and make a lot of adjustments to meet EACH , not a whole group, but EACH of my students' learning needs. Then, I have to take into account that several of them come from homes where their families cant communicate with them, or families that neglect them, and so many more factors.

Teaching is just not easy these days. Now, there is all this talk about teachers needing to bring and wear guns to work. *sighs*

Back