California School for the Deaf Riverside

Allish

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this school? They have an open position that I'm very interested in as I'm looking for employment within the Deaf community and I want to end up in a place that has a very nice community aspect. I recently put my new member profile in that area of the site and very excited to begin a new chapter in my life so any input would be amazing! Thanks in advance!

I've heard good and bad things about Riverside. I guess it all depends on where the school is located there. :)

imo, Fremont and Riverside are poison to the growth of deaf people. Theyre not preparing them for the real world but a deaf world.

imo, Fremont and Riverside are poison to the growth of deaf people. Theyre not preparing them for the real world but a deaf world.

why?

I grew up in a deaf school, and then finished deaf college. I am working in a hearing field work (Real World) for 17 years.

P.S. I am an ASL user.

so care to explain?

The majority of fremont/Riverside students are not as successful.

In researching the school, I've found that it is structured for K-12. This could be an issue. During the high school years, students should be learning more main stream things. It could be a curriculum issue.

where is the proof statistic? I found it odd what you said that.

I knew a lot of CA Deaf peeps that I met from the east coast and some of them did finish MA degrees and some of them have jobs, some teachers or accountant or so.

so i am confused.

where is the proof statistic? I found it odd what you said that.

I knew a lot of CA Deaf peeps that I met from the east coast and some of them did finish MA degrees and some of them have jobs, some teachers or accountant or so.

so i am confused.

Frisky, of those people how many have only a high school degree?

What I would like to know is: What is the unemployment rate for deaf including those only collecting disability?

Of that data I would like to know:
How many of those individuals have a college degree?
How many of those individuals had only deaf schooling?

It would be interesting to know if more people are employed who went to a mainstream school or deaf school.

Logically, those who went to deaf school would be better educated. If those individuals can't get work then it would be more of a social issue, perhaps.

Well, not much difference with many deaf schools over the USA and the deaf schools have exclusive accommodation - deaf teacher with fluent in ASL. I have much success with deaf school, even in hard classes but I was very slow with hearing school.

There are deaf people graduated from hearing school, live on welfare (SSI/SSDI) or work at low paying jobs. Deaf people are just like disabled people that receive the disadvantage with life, especially job and pay. :(

irony.jpg

Frisky, of those people how many have only a high school degree?

What I would like to know is: What is the unemployment rate for deaf including those only collecting disability?

Of that data I would like to know:
How many of those individuals have a college degree?
How many of those individuals had only deaf schooling?

It would be interesting to know if more people are employed who went to a mainstream school or deaf school.

Logically, those who went to deaf school would be better educated. If those individuals can't get work then it would be more of a social issue, perhaps.

I wish I knew. I can't answer your questions. All I know that I hang out with Deaf people that they have jobs at the most of time. Some of them have MA degrees, Phd degrees, and BS or BA degrees. A few of them who have not finished with college but had lot of workshops, trainings and experience jobs for many years.

Well, not much difference with many deaf schools over the USA and the deaf schools have exclusive accommodation - deaf teacher with fluent in ASL. I have much success with deaf school, even in hard classes but I was very slow with hearing school.

There are deaf people graduated from hearing school, live on welfare (SSI/SSDI) or work at low paying jobs. Deaf people are just like disabled people that receive the disadvantage with life, especially job and pay. :(

Most of those comments are true.

But remember Deaf peeps are the minority, so narrow down on the SMART D/deaf peeps are the smallest number of people who are capable of .. know what i mean??

I wish I knew. I can't answer your questions. All I know that I hang out with Deaf people that they have jobs at the most of time. Some of them have MA degrees, Phd degrees, and BS or BA degrees. A few of them who have not finished with college but had lot of workshops, trainings and experience jobs for many years.

Of those schools, were they deaf or mainstream institutions?

It's not surprising educated people get jobs.

My friends, most of them were in Deaf school, like riverside and fremont and Deaf schools. Few of my friends who went to mainstream with Special Deaf program or alone with hearing school.

You can see that my english is sort of limited, but I work for 17 yrs. It is important for any Deaf people who are educated with knowledges, AND CONFIDENCE that does matter to them.

I know several people who have limited english but work as Systems Support Analyst or engineers it pays over 70k. They are capable of jobs and understand how to do with their jobs.

I suggest you to put more positive attitude toward to Deaf/deaf people.

one guy who graduated from MSSD and gallaudet then went to hearing law school?? He's an ASL user.

i know there are more than one.

Back