Bullies in school -- outlaw them or send them to jail.

This has happened last year where I live in West Aust. Those bullies should go to jail cos of seriousness of the crime they did to a 13 yrs old boy. The judge gave one of the bullies 80 hours of unpaid work which I think is fair enough. I hope he get a hard labour work. Jeez, they were soo damn cruel!:(

Perth school bullies escape jail | PerthNow

TWO Perth schoolboys, who hung a student from a tree and whipped him, have escaped jail over the six-hour torture of a 13-year-old schoolmate.
Instead, they have been ordered to do unpaid community work and undergo counselling.

The pair were sentenced in the Perth Children's Court today after pleading guilty to numerous charges relating to a six-hour long attack on their victim in the Perth hills on June 27 last year.

The boys were among a group of five students aged between 12 and 14 last year who hung him from a tree by his underpants, whipped him with a thorny branch, forced him to lie in a makeshift grave and threatened him with an axe.

Children's Court judge Denis Reynolds today placed one of the two boys on an 11-month conditional release order for unlawful detention, threats to harm and unlawful assault.

He ordered the boy carry out 80 hours of unpaid work and undergo at least 12 counselling sessions.

"If you reoffend or if you fail to comply... you would be in breach, you would have to come back before the court,'' Mr Reynolds said.

The second boy, aged 15, was placed on an eight-month conditional release order, given 50 hours community work and told he should undergo counselling.

He was charged with deprivation of liberty, threats to harm and assault after threatening the boy with an axe and pushing him into a makeshift grave.

"The nature of the behaviour and given it was over such a prolonged period of time, is appalling,'' Mr Reynolds said.

If either of the boys reoffended they may be required to serve some or all of their sentences, Mr Reynolds said.

The attack was characterised by Mr Reynolds as ``torture''.

"You saw the victim bleed, you saw the victim cry,'' he said.

Five boys were charged over the attack last year.

Charges against one boy were dropped because prosecutors decided there was no reasonable chance of conviction.

The alleged ringleader has pleaded not guilty and will go on trial later this year.

One boy already has pleaded guilty and was sentenced to eight months' juvenile detention but the sentence was overturned by the WA Court of Appeal after it was found to be excessive.

This has happened last year where I live in West Aust. Those bullies should go to jail cos of seriousness of the crime they did to a 13 yrs old boy. The judge gave one of the bullies 80 hours of unpaid work which I think is fair enough. I hope he get a hard labour work. Jeez, they were soo damn cruel!:(

Perth school bullies escape jail | PerthNow

TWO Perth schoolboys, who hung a student from a tree and whipped him, have escaped jail over the six-hour torture of a 13-year-old schoolmate.
Instead, they have been ordered to do unpaid community work and undergo counselling.

The pair were sentenced in the Perth Children's Court today after pleading guilty to numerous charges relating to a six-hour long attack on their victim in the Perth hills on June 27 last year.

The boys were among a group of five students aged between 12 and 14 last year who hung him from a tree by his underpants, whipped him with a thorny branch, forced him to lie in a makeshift grave and threatened him with an axe.

Children's Court judge Denis Reynolds today placed one of the two boys on an 11-month conditional release order for unlawful detention, threats to harm and unlawful assault.

He ordered the boy carry out 80 hours of unpaid work and undergo at least 12 counselling sessions.

"If you reoffend or if you fail to comply... you would be in breach, you would have to come back before the court,'' Mr Reynolds said.

The second boy, aged 15, was placed on an eight-month conditional release order, given 50 hours community work and told he should undergo counselling.

He was charged with deprivation of liberty, threats to harm and assault after threatening the boy with an axe and pushing him into a makeshift grave.

"The nature of the behaviour and given it was over such a prolonged period of time, is appalling,'' Mr Reynolds said.

If either of the boys reoffended they may be required to serve some or all of their sentences, Mr Reynolds said.

The attack was characterised by Mr Reynolds as ``torture''.

"You saw the victim bleed, you saw the victim cry,'' he said.

Five boys were charged over the attack last year.

Charges against one boy were dropped because prosecutors decided there was no reasonable chance of conviction.

The alleged ringleader has pleaded not guilty and will go on trial later this year.

One boy already has pleaded guilty and was sentenced to eight months' juvenile detention but the sentence was overturned by the WA Court of Appeal after it was found to be excessive.

I see the judge also ordered the bullies into counseling. I hope the victim gets some counseling, too, in order to deal with this trauma.

Sounds like the ringleader managed to get some other boys to follow him. He is the only one that pleaded "not guilty", but that doesn't surprise me. Most bullies don't see that they have done anything wrong, and believe that the world is out to get them. I've even venture a guess that the boys who were convinced to take part in this with him had probably been bullied by him at some point in the past.

<<sitting down>> Sit down, VamPyroX. You see, it's like this. Because so many kids are so out of shape, moreso than when you and I went to school, they took out health classes and decided it would be a better idea to teach the kids how to roll and unroll a condom (in kindergarten), how to work a computer and get brain smart instead of physical excersize and how to use google to look up a word and spell check instead of using a dictionary. I was never taught to phonetically spell a word, then come back after spelling it that way and spell the word the correct way, before creating damage to their little, precious self esteems. Seriously, I am not kidding and am not making light of what you're saying. Parents want to have the "good times" to create their kids, have vacations with them, do everything "fun" with them and, in the end, let someone else raise them (school system) and become their best friend. Their answers on tests are never wrong, because it would hurt their feelings; Muslims are not out to get Americans, as we Americans are so doped up on drugs, prescribed and otherwise, that we didn't see 9-11 coming.

At the same time, teachers have their hands tied as to what they can teach. It's never in the area of a teachers expertise and even the colleges and universities are getting that way! No one has a brain anymore. Oops, sorry, that was a putdown, wasn't it?

See what I'm saying? I'm not poking fun of what you said or poking fun of you. I am scared for the future.

The highlighted statements are so true. My dad has been teaching in the public school system for over 25 years going on 30 soon. When he started he felt he had a handle on discipline and that he was actually teaching the subject to the students.

Now he no longer has a handle on discipline because Johnny might be emotionally scarred for life AND he no longer teaches the subject anymore he teaches the Benchmark exam and the IOWA Exam. The students now often leave highschool having just barely passed the state tests required for graduation and have not learned even the basic things of biology.

To me you can tell if a student has truly learned and mastered something - he can take the knowledge he's accquired and he can use it in any given situation and form, not just recite it from memory the way the book taught it.

We are one of the most developed countries in the world yet we are also churning out some of the stupidest high school graduates in decades. There are poorer countries whose students consistently score higher in all subject areas than their American peers. Shouldn't this be a sign that the current system is no longer working?

Try this one. Creating Compassionate, Safe, Respectful Environments - Operation Respect

Sorry about that. I should have looked the address up instead of trying to run on memory at my advanced age!:giggle:

You can follow the links for parents, educators, and kids. Also the link to order the curriculum free is there.

Okay! That works!! You're no older than you feel, jillio, so if you feel like you're 25, then you're 25. Age is a number and gets less over the chronicle age of 25. ;)

I see the judge also ordered the bullies into counseling. I hope the victim gets some counseling, too, in order to deal with this trauma.

Sounds like the ringleader managed to get some other boys to follow him. He is the only one that pleaded "not guilty", but that doesn't surprise me. Most bullies don't see that they have done anything wrong, and believe that the world is out to get them. I've even venture a guess that the boys who were convinced to take part in this with him had probably been bullied by him at some point in the past.

I agree, jillio! I also have to say that these little boys should get on their knees and thank that judge for not throwing the book at them for their behavior!! As for the boy whose charges were dropped, I hope it sent him a message that messed his pants and that he WILL be nice from now on.

The highlighted statements are so true. My dad has been teaching in the public school system for over 25 years going on 30 soon. When he started he felt he had a handle on discipline and that he was actually teaching the subject to the students.

Now he no longer has a handle on discipline because Johnny might be emotionally scarred for life AND he no longer teaches the subject anymore he teaches the Benchmark exam and the IOWA Exam. The students now often leave highschool having just barely passed the state tests required for graduation and have not learned even the basic things of biology.

To me you can tell if a student has truly learned and mastered something - he can take the knowledge he's accquired and he can use it in any given situation and form, not just recite it from memory the way the book taught it.

We are one of the most developed countries in the world yet we are also churning out some of the stupidest high school graduates in decades. There are poorer countries whose students consistently score higher in all subject areas than their American peers. Shouldn't this be a sign that the current system is no longer working?

A few years ago, I had switched my major from Pre-Audiology to Social Studies, with a primary in political science and secondary in history and a teacher licensure. After seeing all that was occuring here, especially with jillio, shel and jackie and the preferred methods of teaching deaf kids and what I am seeing in the kids now, I decided I didn't want to teach. I think I made the right decision, as I see the students being led by their mommies and daddies to the university I attend. This is reasonably sized Fargo, North Dakota/Moorhead, Minnesota and the vast majority of the kids are from small town America. They have never seen a black person, someone from another country or culture or even one that is deaf. They have no idea that dogs and other animals are used as service animals and they only gawk at me, never coming over to befriend me or ask me questions. Rare is the student that does and I can count on one hand how many here have done it. And we "teach" diversity here! What diversity? Even the international students can keep talking in their native language, stick to themselves and never venture out of their own little world. If I went overseas to another university, they would expect me to speak their language and, if I didn't, I'd better get on the ball and learn!!

Good points, Dixie!

that is not good for argument to negative. tell to stop bullied something you can do it resistant to bullied or stop not fair.. that is not easy.

sure I was bullied in 5th grade by a freind he wud tie me up in ropes and made fun of me but final straw was when he poured milk chocolate over my fave white jacket and was giving me trouble in summer school so his mom finally took him out of summer school wasn't going to middle school with me i was releived but the bulling continued in middle school with other 2 stupid deafies (one is dead and one is nowhere to be found now after those years) anyway.. both were making fun of me and trying to do stupid stuff in bus... and one freind was bullied to have sex with a boy in back of bus that happened after I was dropped off at home.. ugh then bullying even got more worse by 8th grade some1 vandlizied my locker so I got pissed so I went to office and requested for different locker and i was feeling better afterwards.. :) I wasn't not gonna let anyone try to break into my locker by then ugh... blah and the bullying continued in deaf school surprise... that didn't surprise me cuz I wasn't welcome into deaf community cuz i was only one deaf in family :roll: but lucky I have true freinds who stick around to be there for me even tho they are busy with their life.. ;)

Back