Bullies in school -- outlaw them or send them to jail.

i can see if girls will shave their hairs off to honor their classmate who have leukemia so the girl wont be left out and be supported. the girls who did this are banned from school due to shaved hairs? What happen to Honor, Respect, and support?

I am afraid this will happen. :(
That's a great example!

everything is too strict? I felt bad for the kids cant have their choice of hairstyles and having to wear same uniform every day.

I agree they need to watch on the behavior instead of worrying about small things like haircuts etc. guess they have nothing to do but ban everything?

At the same time, Freaky Cat, the military almost shaves a man's hair after he enlists and the soldiers' do get their choice of uniforms . . . as long as they all match each other.

Perhaps this is what it's coming down to? Do we need to when parents don't take their parental responsibility and train their child or is everyone so damn scared of CPS and the bruising of their precious egos when they're told that 2 + 2 = 4 and when they say it's another number, they can't handle it? :roll:

You know, on Saturday, while I watched a friend of mine test for a stripe on his yellow belt, I mentioned to another friend of his that, even though the kids consider this activity as fun, they may have to use it someday on someone to ensure their own safety. :whip:

Bullies beware: We've got your number and the next time you step out of line and attempt to hurt us, we WILL send you to the emergency room! From there, we don't care what your parents say about us, as long as we're safe from you.

yes but what if school think differently? What if they said it is a gang but it is not? Just support the girl as she have leukemia? who knows.... i said WHAT if? but it could happen..... :dunno2:

At the same time, Freaky Cat, the military almost shaves a man's hair after he enlists and the soldiers' do get their choice of uniforms . . . as long as they all match each other.

Perhaps this is what it's coming down to? Do we need to when parents don't take their parental responsibility and train their child or is everyone so damn scared of CPS and the bruising of their precious egos when they're told that 2 + 2 = 4 and when they say it's another number, they can't handle it? :roll:

You know, on Saturday, while I watched a friend of mine test for a stripe on his yellow belt, I mentioned to another friend of his that, even though the kids consider this activity as fun, they may have to use it someday on someone to ensure their own safety. :whip:

Bullies beware: We've got your number and the next time you step out of line and attempt to hurt us, we WILL send you to the emergency room! From there, we don't care what your parents say about us, as long as we're safe from you.

yes but what if school think differently? What if they said it is a gang but it is not? Just support the girl as she have leukemia? who knows.... i said WHAT if? but it could happen..... :dunno2:

The school would know that a student had the disease, as it wouldn't be kept secret. If it got so bad that the other students were expelled or suspended for doing this, the news media would have a field day and the principal and his/her staff would never live it down.

The school would know that a student had the disease, as it wouldn't be kept secret. If it got so bad that the other students were expelled or suspended for doing this, the news media would have a field day and the principal and his/her staff would never live it down.

What if school said doesnt matter must follow the dress codes? they would worry about something else other than that.

you are right if something happen like that then for sure lot of people would be outraged at this and have a big media day. By then school will have to apologize to the girl who have leukemia. I would like to see the school being fined for doing this to humiliate the girl. THAT IS IF. :D

That is crazy! They couldv'e killed someone.
Yeah. Unfortunately, a lot of the kids don't understand the seriousness of this allergy. They do it because they think it's nothing.

What the school should do is show a video and have a lecture on the seriousness of peanut allergies. They should show pictures, statistics, information, etc... so that the students can see how serious it is.

It's kinda like those videos they show at driving school of people all mangled and bloodied up from accidents because they didn't follow traffic laws.

Last night I started reading Jodee Blanco's book "Please Stop Laughing at Me" about her experiences being bullied and how it affected her the rest of her life. I remember those days myself, I was bullied too (not as bad as her, she was physically bullied a lot) and I know it still effects me. The sad thing is most kids don't know they're doing it. If you ask them 20 years later "do you know how much you hurt me" they have no idea they did anything wrong. American culture encourages bullying by saying "kids will be kids" and people don't do enough to stop it.

Then they wonder how Columbine, and Kip Kinkle, and VTEC happens. When pain and rejection runs too deep, there is no telling how a wounded child will fight back. He might do until he is older, but he will be a walking time bomb created by society. I hate to see the pain that people inflict on each other. Most of us have experienced it. Can you imagine how cool it would be if people put all that bullying energy to use by loving and caring about other people instead of beating them up? There would be no hunger or war.

Then they wonder how Columbine, and Kip Kinkle, and VTEC happens. When pain and rejection runs too deep, there is no telling how a wounded child will fight back. He might do until he is older, but he will be a walking time bomb created by society. I hate to see the pain that people inflict on each other. Most of us have experienced it. Can you imagine how cool it would be if people put all that bullying energy to use by loving and caring about other people instead of beating them up? There would be no hunger or war.

There is a wonderful program called "Don't Laugh at Me" that was developed by Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary fame. There are several different curriculum, depending upon the age group being addressed. IMO, all school couselors need to integrate such a program in the curriculum beginning in first grade, particularly with the push to mainstream not just deaf students, but all students with disabilities. This program is great for helping children to develop empathy for others, and provides real, concrete solutions.

BTW...to all you teachers out there, the curriculum is free on the website www.don'tlaughatme. It supplies an activity guide for different age groups, a CD, and a DVD.

Yeah. Unfortunately, a lot of the kids don't understand the seriousness of this allergy. They do it because they think it's nothing.

What the school should do is show a video and have a lecture on the seriousness of peanut allergies. They should show pictures, statistics, information, etc... so that the students can see how serious it is.

It's kinda like those videos they show at driving school of people all mangled and bloodied up from accidents because they didn't follow traffic laws.

VamPyroX,

I'm going to be the devil's advocate on this one and say that to have all these videos, in addition to the rest of the videos they view on a daily basis that says it's okay to bully, this would be preaching to the choir. As long as society has "heros" like O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and numerous other "celebrities," youth and children workers (not to mention teachers of both sexes), we will have bullies. We have to stop the bullying at its source: The parents.

There is a wonderful program called "Don't Laugh at Me" that was developed by Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary fame. There are several different curriculum, depending upon the age group being addressed. IMO, all school couselors need to integrate such a program in the curriculum beginning in first grade, particularly with the push to mainstream not just deaf students, but all students with disabilities. This program is great for helping children to develop empathy for others, and provides real, concrete solutions.

BTW...to all you teachers out there, the curriculum is free on the website www.don'tlaughatme. It supplies an activity guide for different age groups, a CD, and a DVD.

jillio,

Children won't learn empathy for others if they don't get that training at home, from their parents. We can sanction everything possible on the kid bully, but if the parents aren't involved, you can't get squat . . . except to hear "Puff, the Magic Dragon." I think it would be a fantastic idea to get the kids to do this, but, gee, I think we're violating their rights to tell them they're wrong that 2+2 does not equal 5, as their self esteem won't be able to take it. Do we have any other ideas?

You know, when I was a kid (just a couple day ago), I looked forward to becoming an adult because I could make the difference in kids and other peoples' lives. The longer I live, the more I see people telling others who want to make the difference to butt out. I'm not telling you this, jillio, because I know your heart, which is the same as shel and jackie, scores of other educators here, but I think parents need to step up to the plate and start acting like parents instead of being their kids' best friend, which by the way, is NOT their job.

So true, but until we get to the parents, none of the kids will listen, especially when their parents don't even listen to them!

jillio,

Children won't learn empathy for others if they don't get that training at home, from their parents. We can sanction everything possible on the kid bully, but if the parents aren't involved, you can't get squat . . . except to hear "Puff, the Magic Dragon." I think it would be a fantastic idea to get the kids to do this, but, gee, I think we're violating their rights to tell them they're wrong that 2+2 does not equal 5, as their self esteem won't be able to take it. Do we have any other ideas?

You know, when I was a kid (just a couple day ago), I looked forward to becoming an adult because I could make the difference in kids and other peoples' lives. The longer I live, the more I see people telling others who want to make the difference to butt out. I'm not telling you this, jillio, because I know your heart, which is the same as shel and jackie, scores of other educators here, but I think parents need to step up to the plate and start acting like parents instead of being their kids' best friend, which by the way, is NOT their job.

The kids who get that type of parental support at home are not the ones that need to be reached. Are we to sacrifice the others simply because their parents are not as involved as they should be? I think not. I agree that parents need to do more, but the fact is that many aren't. Just because they should does not mean they will. And those are the children that need other resources the most.

Regarding your "Puff the Magic Dragon" remark....have you seen the curriculum that I mentioned? It is a well thought out, developmentally appropriate curriculum with proven results. If you want to get to get a message through to a child, it must be done in a developmentally appropriate way for them to understand that message. This program does that.

I am involved as well with the Ophelia Project which conducts programs in the school regarding bullying issues. I am not just sitting back and preaching to the choir. The reality of the situation is that many parents are not addressing these issues, and to simply say that they should be more involved does nothing to resolve the problems. Getting involved to fill the gaps left by uninvolved parents helps. And children most certainly can and do learn empathy in places other than the home. In fact, it is in outside situations that the majority encounter those empathy producing opportunities. And the plain fact of the matter is, that after a certain age, school and peers have more influence on a child than does the family of origin.

VamPyroX,

I'm going to be the devil's advocate on this one and say that to have all these videos, in addition to the rest of the videos they view on a daily basis that says it's okay to bully, this would be preaching to the choir. As long as society has "heros" like O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and numerous other "celebrities," youth and children workers (not to mention teachers of both sexes), we will have bullies. We have to stop the bullying at its source: The parents.
I already agree on the part with the parents. I'm just saying that it would help if the school could do it from an educational perspective or something. Don't all schools have health classes?

What parents can do is tell their children what to do and what not to do, a teacher is more certified to lecture on other facts. Not all parents are well-educated on allergies.

Can a parent provide full details on what happens if their kids don't wear condoms? Can they get their hands on information and pictures related to people with STDs, AIDS, HIV, pregnancies, etc? Not all parents have that kind of access to those things. That's what part of their taxes go to... the school system to provide education that the parents can't give.

Regarding your "Puff the Magic Dragon" remark....have you seen the curriculum that I mentioned? It is a well thought out, developmentally appropriate curriculum with proven results. If you want to get to get a message through to a child, it must be done in a developmentally appropriate way for them to understand that message.

I knew I shouldn't have made that remark without adding the ;) after it. I was kidding and I apologize to you for offending, as I didn't intend to. On another note, the group, Peter, Paul & Mary have done quite a bit of good in this world and this song was the first one I ever learned. Let me look at the site and edit this.

Okay, I'm back. I edited the correct website, which does come up. After that, when clicking on a subject a new window comes up and a slew of information not related to the subject and other stuff, too. What did I do?

Last edited:

http://www.dontlaughatme.com/

I already agree on the part with the parents. I'm just saying that it would help if the school could do it from an educational perspective or something. Don't all schools have health classes?

<<sitting down>> Sit down, VamPyroX. You see, it's like this. Because so many kids are so out of shape, moreso than when you and I went to school, they took out health classes and decided it would be a better idea to teach the kids how to roll and unroll a condom (in kindergarten), how to work a computer and get brain smart instead of physical excersize and how to use google to look up a word and spell check instead of using a dictionary. I was never taught to phonetically spell a word, then come back after spelling it that way and spell the word the correct way, before creating damage to their little, precious self esteems. Seriously, I am not kidding and am not making light of what you're saying. Parents want to have the "good times" to create their kids, have vacations with them, do everything "fun" with them and, in the end, let someone else raise them (school system) and become their best friend. Their answers on tests are never wrong, because it would hurt their feelings; Muslims are not out to get Americans, as we Americans are so doped up on drugs, prescribed and otherwise, that we didn't see 9-11 coming.

At the same time, teachers have their hands tied as to what they can teach. It's never in the area of a teachers expertise and even the colleges and universities are getting that way! No one has a brain anymore. Oops, sorry, that was a putdown, wasn't it?

See what I'm saying? I'm not poking fun of what you said or poking fun of you. I am scared for the future.

1. The kids who get that type of parental support at home are not the ones that need to be reached. Are we to sacrifice the others simply because their parents are not as involved as they should be? I think not. I agree that parents need to do more, but the fact is that many aren't. Just because they should does not mean they will. And those are the children that need other resources the most.

2. Regarding your "Puff the Magic Dragon" remark....have you seen the curriculum that I mentioned? It is a well thought out, developmentally appropriate curriculum with proven results. If you want to get to get a message through to a child, it must be done in a developmentally appropriate way for them to understand that message. This program does that.

3. I am involved as well with the Ophelia Project which conducts programs in the school regarding bullying issues. I am not just sitting back and preaching to the choir. The reality of the situation is that many parents are not addressing these issues, and to simply say that they should be more involved does nothing to resolve the problems. Getting involved to fill the gaps left by uninvolved parents helps. And children most certainly can and do learn empathy in places other than the home. In fact, it is in outside situations that the majority encounter those empathy producing opportunities. And the plain fact of the matter is, that after a certain age, school and peers have more influence on a child than does the family of origin.

Okay, I'm going to answer this without my famous edits. I did edit the above, but with a 1,2,3, etc.

1. Many parents both work full-time jobs, which most aren't child or family friendly. I remember when my mother worked for the Minneapolis (MN) Public Schools when I was younger, that, if she called in sick due to me, she was hassled about it. She had been asked in more than one interview how many days she thought she'd be off because she had an eight-year old boy at home. I knew that attitude would still survive, after all the legislation that would put a permanent end to it. Perhaps if we could help the parents like Joe Clark - Biography we'd be able to put this apathy to an end. Pipe dream? Gee, I hope not.

2. Comment above. Is there another link to it?

3. I know you are a "hands-on" educator. You have fought tirelessly for your son and others. You don't have anything to prove to me, as I esteem you highly. The only thing I wish is that my mother had shown me how to advocate for myself when I was younger, instead of doing it for me. There was a woman in charge of the special education department at the high school I graduated from. I reviewed the website just now and am glad to see that she must have retired. She was a battleax and it would greatly surprise me if any of the students received any help because of her. She is part of the problem, not part of the solution. I advocated for myself, but she always turned me down.

I knew I shouldn't have made that remark without adding the ;) after it. I was kidding and I apologize to you for offending, as I didn't intend to. On another note, the group, Peter, Paul & Mary have done quite a bit of good in this world and this song was the first one I ever learned. Let me look at the site and edit this.

Okay, I'm back. I edited the correct website, which does come up. After that, when clicking on a subject a new window comes up and a slew of information not related to the subject and other stuff, too. What did I do?

Try this one. Creating Compassionate, Safe, Respectful Environments - Operation Respect

Sorry about that. I should have looked the address up instead of trying to run on memory at my advanced age!:giggle:

You can follow the links for parents, educators, and kids. Also the link to order the curriculum free is there.

Back