Boy Refuses To Stop Playing Video Game; Mother Calls Police

My kids have their Nintendo DS's and a PS2 and know that they are only allowed 2 hours a day on the games. If they play an M rated game, they must play in the front room. Son is getting a PSP for Christmas only because he has shown that he can be trusted. When the 2 hours is up, the game gets locked up in a fire-proof lockbox until the next day. the only day they are not allowed is on Sunday. They also do not get to play until all school work is done. (I home school year round) The kids are 14 & 15. Daughter mostly plays Sims 2, but son does most of the M rated games with supervision.

I would have unplugged the damn game and put it up.

Sad to see that parents allow their kids to rule the roots around the house.

I second it. If my boy wouldn't listen to me while my husband is not home and I will take the video games away until his daddy come home.. He can give him the consequence.

There are some 14 year olds who are bigger than their mothers and are physically abusive towards them. That's why I wouldnt jump to conclusions about how the mother disciplines him. I feel we dont have enough info. My 21 year old brother is a lot bigger than my dad and stepmom and he has gotten physical with them for not getting his way and hurted them badly. He put my dad in the hospital once and the authorities had the balls to question my dad for child abuse.

I feel we dont know the full story and there are some strong and determined 14 year olds out there who wouldnt hesistate to knock their parents around.

Just my 2 cents.

They're some difficult children out there. I do understand that.

A parent of a difficult child need to work with them instead of letting them go and play games all day long and be fearful of what they need to do.

Again this is about allowing the child rule the roots. Many parents do not know how to take control nowadays. Fearing the child's "rights" are going to be taken away.

I agree we do not know the whole story... we do not know the family background what so ever. Meaning we do not know the Moms... Dads... or the childs background. But somewhere it got messed up.

They're some difficult children out there. I do understand that.

A parent of a difficult child need to work with them instead of letting them go and play games all day long and be fearful of what they need to do.

Again this is about allowing the child rule the roots. Many parents do not know how to take control nowadays. Fearing the child's "rights" are going to be taken away.

I agree we do not know the whole story... we do not know the family background what so ever. Meaning we do not know the Moms... Dads... or the childs background. But somewhere it got messed up.

Yes, it got messed up.

I just wonder if the boy got addicted to the game and his addiction started contolling his thoughts and behavior? I have seen perfectly well-behaved kids turn into completely different people when they became addicted to something.

For me, I need to know more before I pass judgement.

I stand at 5'2, and my boys, all 3 are much taller and stronger than I. Even my 13 yr. old, I stand to his neck. They have never, ever, raised a hand towards me. If ever they did, then the police would be called! And it's off to detention and if I felt afraid of being harmed, they would not be in my home.

Parents have to practice what they preach, lay down the home rules and expect them to be followed. Or suffer the consequences.

My boys are no angels. They do get grounded and priviledges taken away at times. But one thing I will not tolerate is disrespect. I'm a single, adoptive parent and a female.

I would never attempt to "spank, paddle or beat" at 14 year old! Ridiculous! There are other options to consider, mainly taking away things they enjoy.

I stand at 5'2, and my boys, all 3 are much taller and stronger than I. Even my 13 yr. old, I stand to his neck. They have never, ever, raised a hand towards me. If ever they did, then the police would be called! And it's off to detention and if I felt afraid of being harmed, they would not be in my home.

Parents have to practice what they preach, lay down the home rules and expect them to be followed. Or suffer the consequences.

My boys are no angels. They do get grounded and priviledges taken away at times. But one thing I will not tolerate is disrespect. I'm a single, adoptive parent and a female.

I would never attempt to "spank, paddle or beat" at 14 year old! Ridiculous! There are other options to consider, mainly taking away things they enjoy.

You are lucky that your boys never raised a hand at you. My stepmom and dad werent as fortunate with a son who has bipolar and addiction problems.

You are lucky that your boys never raised a hand at you. My stepmom and dad werent as fortunate with a son who has bipolar and addiction problems.

Yeah.. difficult situations arouse with different personalities which each individual child and parents..

If the parent were aware of the child's issues. Would one allow them to play such games or to allow them do an activity that they know will be difficult to pull them away from with out being confronted with a bad scene?

Yeah.. difficult situations arouse with different personalities which each individual child and parents..

If the parent were aware of the child's issues. Would one allow them to play such games or to allow them do an activity that they know will be difficult to pull them away from with out being confronted with a bad scene?

That's why I cant say until I get more info. Did the mother buy it or the boy buy the game himself or did the mother buy it being unaware that the boy would become so addicted to it?

The mother can just go to the fuse box and turn off power in his room and make him go to sleep. simple?

The mother can just go to the fuse box and turn off power in his room and make him go to sleep. simple?
Or just unplug the power cord and walk off.

My 16 yo brother gets aggressive when he was playing Call of Duty games on my PS3, and it has affected me and my mother, gets into a fight after gaming, so he is now banned from playing these FPS games. I took the PS3 away from him.

That is not simple as you think. What if you are chatting with your girlfriend on my VP, I just walk to it, turn VP off and tell you to go to bed, you'd be *(&&*(^&*^^%(*@#$@$@$#$%^@%ING at me, correct? It is normal anger reaction. Not good idea.

That is not simple as you think. What if you are chatting with your girlfriend on my VP, I just walk to it, turn VP off and tell you to go to bed, you'd be *(&&*(^&*^^%(*@#$@$@$#$%^@%ING at me, correct? It is normal anger reaction. Not good idea.
Not if the person is brave enough to face the anger. :/

Why can't the police just put him in jail?!?! Let that bastard learn a lesson!

yes! you don't spank a 14 years old LOL

Actually you can Lighthouse, for right reasons, not wrong reasons. I have met a guy who gotten spankings when he was 17 years old and same for me when i was 16 years old. As long it is right reasons and not so minor things or constantly beating. That would consider child abuse. I know what child abuse is. i been through it before and it isnt pretty. As long the child is under their parents' house. Parents have right to spank their child for right reasons. i would be doing same thing for my kids if i have them.

Actually you can Lighthouse, for right reasons, not wrong reasons. I have met a guy who gotten spankings when he was 17 years old and same for me when i was 16 years old. As long it is right reasons and not so minor things or constantly beating. That would consider child abuse. I know what child abuse is. i been through it before and it isnt pretty. As long the child is under their parents' house. Parents have right to spank their child for right reasons. i would be doing same thing for my kids if i have them.

Agreed, I just ignore to anyone who claimed as child abuse, parent can still spanking the teenagers, depends on situation and It isn't part of child abuse, thorough.

Agreed, I just ignore to anyone who claimed as child abuse, parent can still spanking the teenagers, depends on situation and It isn't part of child abuse, thorough.

well to be honest, who do claim that is child abuse just havent really seen what really child abuse is. for me, i explain to some of my friends about child abuse because i been through it before.

well to be honest, who do claim that is child abuse just havent really seen what really child abuse is. for me, i explain to some of my friends about child abuse because i been through it before.

I had been spanked by my parent for behavior problem, including refuse to do when I was early teenager but pretty rarer than during childhood so I have admit that they are doing right thing to teach a lesson.

Parent has rights to punish the child by spanking, it does work on some children, some don't.

I had been spanked by my parent for behavior problem, including refuse to do when I was early teenager but pretty rarer than during childhood so I have admit that they are doing right thing to teach a lesson.

Parent has rights to punish the child by spanking, it does work on some children, some don't.

Spanking never works for me because i been spanks constantly on daily basis when i was little so my foster parents had to find something else to punish me. but works.

Is GTA on M rated game?? I never play this game. I'm not a boy or male.
girls play this game too

My husband will not let our kids play game "M" rated game until they are mature enough to play at age 17.
you have KIDS already?

I will be strict parent! I can make a house rules for kids play on video games for 1 to 2 hours limited. If they are not in school and can play in the weekend only. The kids go to school and not let them play games in the week.
easier said than done, you know? :aw:

Back