Boy pulled from class over spiked hair

Hair is only hair. I don't think it much deal of hair unless it extreme like bright pink or red, etc.

School uniform more important than hair. I much prefer they do unisex ones because I hate wearing skirts, esp in winter. When I was at primary school, one of them do have uniform but it kids choice to wear their own clothes or uniform. Primary school back then didn't care who wears what. It usually High School are the problems, uniform are much better choice for that.

As his mother I know that nothing was sent home saying that he could not wear his hair like that and no phone calls were made to me telling me that he could not wear it that way anymore that spokes person is not even the one that has been dealing with any of this Mrs Taylor was the one that we talked to and she is no longer there. So this other lady that is doing any input about this really does not know what happen. He is in dress code.

School uniforms?...Nah!...as for really weird hair, I'd draw the line on it. My oldest was somewhat of a rebel in school, one day he had his hair all spiked and tried to fix some dreadlocks also....I laughed! So did his brothers....so he combed it out. Some kids go into phases about what they wear and how they fix their hair!...As for now, long hair seems to be making a come-back among the boys here. But I've made it a rule, keep it out of your eyes or I'll make you get a haircut!.....It won't be long before they are gonna get tired of the tangles in their hair in the mornings before school!...And I know a haircut is just on the horizon!..I don't make too much of a deal of it, knowing sooner or later something else is gonna come up.

What? Is his spiked hair going to stab someone else if that boy accidentally fall into someone else? /sarcasm.

OK, this kind of thing is getting carried away a little bit too far.

Unless this kid's hair was obstructing the view of the white board, there is no legitimate reason to ban the hair style. The is a long tradition of teens annoying their elders with their hair (and music!), and I see no reason to change that tradition.

Did the school think the boy was going stab someone with his spiked hair! I was thinking of getting my hair spiked !

What? Is his spiked hair going to stab someone else if that boy accidentally fall into someone else? /sarcasm.

OK, this kind of thing is getting carried away a little bit too far.

I did not see your post and I said the same thing!

Around here girls are allowed to wear khaki pants. The girls get to choose whether to wear a khaki-colored skirt or a pair of khaki-colored pants. The shirts (polo shirts) for both boys and girls are exactly the same, the uniforms are unisex here. It's not like Catholic Schoolgirl type of uniforms here, unless you go to a Catholic school. Nearly all the public schools here allow unisex uniforms. And the uniforms are sold at Walmart around here...they carry all the uniforms of all the schools in the city...lists are provided to Walmart so they know what to carry, so that the uniforms are cheap and affordable, and there are several stores that sell gently used uniforms to wear for the low income families, and several charities also give away used uniforms as well. The uniforms are casual but identical.
That's all very similar to the way public schools in my area do it.

That's all very similar to the way public schools in my area do it.

I saw some girls in high school wearing shorts to school , the shorts were really short! Time has sure change! I use to wear my hair long and over one eye , I had a teacher that would keep telling me to move my hair! She thought my hair was too sexy to wear the way in school! WTF! She was an old bat!

I honestly think it just crazy.... I think each child should have their own unqine style, to show their taste/personality. It just doesn't feel right to have to have all kids look all extactly the same, with extacly same hair style and clothes.

I spike my son's hair and I don't see what's the big deal of it.... Honestly it won't get in the way of education.

I used to wear uniforms in 1st and 2nd grade... I remember I hated it... I like having freedom of choosing what to wear... I believe all children should have that instead of being restricted to wearing uniform that are all the same with other kids.

Kids don't spend their entire day and life in school. When they're in school, they are "at work". When they are at home, they can express themselves however they want under their parents' guidance.

I don't understand how wearing a uniform stifles individuality. I find it liberating to not have to worry about what to wear, not affording whatever is in, socio-economic status, peer pressure, etc.

School is a good time to learn that there is a time and place for everything. What's appropriate to wear in a casual setting is not always the same as what one wears to work. When students join the work force will they complain that the boss is stifling their individuality in the work place?

Besides, isn't part of being a teen the tendency to complain about everything that they are required to do? Why deprive them of that past time? :lol:

It's the responsibility of the schools to put forth the dress code in a clear and timely manner, help parents meet the requirements, and enforce it fairly without going ballistic over every little offense.

I saw some girls in high school wearing shorts to school , the shorts were really short! Time has sure change! I use to wear my hair long and over one eye , I had a teacher that would keep telling me to move my hair! She thought my hair was too sexy to wear the way in school! WTF! She was an old bat!
She actually told you it was too sexy? Whoa! :shock:

Some of the public schools here are requiring uniforms. It is to standardize the appearance and help avoid some students being singled out and bullied.

I believe statistics show that it actually does work.

But some parents can't afford to buy new uniforms for their kids , and they get picked on for wearing old faded uniforms! My daughter was telling me about this. Wearing uniforms is not going to stop kids from bullying other kids!
Bullies like to pick on kids that can't fight back and wearing a uniform is not going help!

But some parents can't afford to buy new uniforms for their kids , and they get picked on for wearing old faded uniforms! My daughter was telling me about this. Wearing uniforms is not going to stop kids from bullying other kids!
Bullies like to pick on kids that can't fight back and wearing a uniform is not going help!
Most kids outgrow their uniforms before they wear them out.

Nevertheless, bullying for any reason should be handled by school authorities. Some bullies will behave that way no matter what people wear.

I think the being picked on is more of a peer pressure behavior rather than bullying behavior. Parents will have to teach their children how to deal with that.

Kids can't escape all negative experiences of life. They have to be taught how to deal with those experiences. Sometimes that means going to authorities for help. Sometimes it means developing a tougher hide against peer pressure. Kids need to be taught that there are some people in this world who are ignorant and have their own self-esteem problems that cause them to say and do cruel things.

Kids are very different from each other, so the parents know best how to help their own children with these issues.

In my opinion.

She actually told you it was too sexy? Whoa! :shock:

She did not say it to me that way , she said "it was inappropriate to wear my hair over my eye ", meaning she thought it was "too sexy!" My dad did not like me wearing my hair like that either as I would hide my blond streak
that way! My teacher and dad very were old fashioned ! My teacher was an old lady and for some reason thought I was a "very sweet girl" as I looked very young for my age! She picked me to be Virgin Mary in the school Xmas play! Don't fall over!

Reba, some of us just aren't cut out for uniforms and conformity. The sensitive and artistic kids are different. Some kids are just not plugged into the "mainstream."

Adolescence is a time for separating from parents and discovering individuality, even within the confines of adult supervision. I want kids to make small mistakes as teens while the consequences are not severe. I want kids to learn how to think for themselves. Kids need some freedom to do this. As long as a kid is well behaved and academically successful, I don't see any reason to sweat the small stuff like hair.

Teens do complain sometimes, but often their complaints are valid. A mature teen is anxious to move on with life and adults often hold them back without realizing it. It's hard for adults to reach a balance in which we support teens and offer them chances to grow.

Reba, some of us just aren't cut out for uniforms and conformity. The sensitive and artistic kids are different. Some kids are just not plugged into the "mainstream."
Are you saying that kids can't be sensitive or artistic if they wear uniforms during school hours? Is their sensitivity and art dependent on their clothing that they wear at school?

Back