Boy pulled from class over spiked hair

Most kids outgrow their uniforms before they wear them out.

Nevertheless, bullying for any reason should be handled by school authorities. Some bullies will behave that way no matter what people wear.

I think the being picked on is more of a peer pressure behavior rather than bullying behavior. Parents will have to teach their children how to deal with that.

Kids can't escape all negative experiences of life. They have to be taught how to deal with those experiences. Sometimes that means going to authorities for help. Sometimes it means developing a tougher hide against peer pressure. Kids need to be taught that there are some people in this world who are ignorant and have their own self-esteem problems that cause them to say and do cruel things.

Kids are very different from each other, so the parents know best how to help their own children with these issues.

In my opinion.

Some kids will never be able to deal with a bully , my niece has aspergers
and she was not able to look a person in the face let alone develope tougher hide against bullying! She was bullied all throught school. it got worst in high school and her parents had to call the cops . The parents of the bullies told my sister they had no idea their kids were calling my niece house and calling her horrible names! There were about 5 to 6 kids calling every 5 min. This is why the cops were called in to tapped my sister phone . If the kids did not stop calling the cops were going to press charges against them!
My niece life was HELL in school! And some parents can't afford to buy a lot uniform for a child and that one uniform will have to washes a lot which made it wear out faster. There are a lot poor kids going to public school and that too can be tough . I think the one good thing about me being HOH when I was going to school if a kid did say some nasty to me during class , I would not had heard them! There would had been a fight!

Ever visit a charter school for the visual and performing arts? Drop by and ask the kids what they think about uniforms. :giggle:

Ever visit a charter school for the visual and performing arts? Drop by and ask the kids what they think about uniforms. :giggle:

I bet the kids hate them like HELL! I know I know I would had hated to having to wear a uniform to school! I was a bownie and girl scout as my mother wanted me to go and I hated that like HELL! Wearing those dumb ass
uniforms!

Den leader here. I tell the boys to wear their t shirts. That way I can keep up with them and they are comfortable enough to do activities. One kid loves to wear his fancy uniform to every meeting so he has that option.

and she was not able to look a person in the face let alone develope tougher hide against bullying! She was bullied all throught school. it got worst in high school and her parents had to call the cops . The parents of the bullies told my sister they had no idea their kids were calling my niece house and calling her horrible names! There were about 5 to 6 kids calling every 5 min. This is why the cops were called in to tapped my sister phone . If the kids did not stop calling the cops were going to press charges against them!
That's why I said that authorities need to get involved in some situations that are true bullying.

My niece life was HELL in school! And some parents can't afford to buy a lot uniform for a child and that one uniform will have to washes a lot which made it wear out faster. There are a lot poor kids going to public school and that too can be tough....
What's the difference between buying more uniforms or buying more school clothes? Either way, a parent will spend a limited amount of money. Do you really believe a child will teased more for a faded uniform than faded out-of-fashion clothing? If kids will tease other students for looking "poor" then they will do that regardless of uniforms or regular clothing.

I was a poor student wearing hand-me-downs, home-made outfits, and cheap clothing, so I know what I'm talking about. I was a very sensitive loner but I survived.

My niece life was HELL in school! And some parents can't afford to buy a lot uniform for a child and that one uniform will have to washes a lot which made it wear out faster. There are a lot poor kids going to public school and that too can be tough . I think the one good thing about me being HOH when I was going to school if a kid did say some nasty to me during class , I would not had heard them! There would had been a fight!

Very bad idea, it wastes alot of water and could cost more water bill to have washed everyday.

Yes, I've been to all kinds of schools as a terp.

There's a lot of things about school that kids don't like. So?

When I was in public high school I took special program art classes because I was a "creative" student. What I wore to school didn't hinder my creativity. We didn't wear uniforms but we followed very strict dress codes. Some of my fellow students from the late 1960's were some of the most creative people in the arts and sciences.

Yes, I've been to all kinds of schools as a terp.

There's a lot of things about school that kids don't like. So?

When I was in public high school I took special program art classes because I was a "creative" student. What I wore to school didn't hinder my creativity. We didn't wear uniforms but we followed very strict dress codes. Some of my fellow students from the late 1960's were some of the most creative people in the arts and sciences.

I heard about all girls require to wear dress or skirt for school everyday in 1960's.

It's really sad that such shallow things as fashion have such strong impact on kids. :(

It's true.

Yup, I grew in 80's, 90's and 2000's, the school uniform isn't becomes popular until mid 90's when some schools in CA adopted new uniform policy in 1994 but children are not required to wear if their parent disagrees and they will have go to other school in same district that doesn't have uniform policy.

I used to wear school uniform in 1999 until 2002 but stopped when starts high school.

Yup, I grew in 80's, 90's and 2000's, the school uniform isn't becomes popular until mid 90's when some schools in CA adopted new uniform policy in 1994 but children are not required to wear if their parent disagrees and they will have go to other school in same district that doesn't have uniform policy.

I used to wear school uniform in 1999 until 2002 but stopped when starts high school.
When I attended school, only parochial and private schools required uniforms. No one in public school wore uniforms but we had strict dress codes instead.

That's why I said that authorities need to get involved in some situations that are true bullying.

What's the difference between buying more uniforms or buying more school clothes? Either way, a parent will spend a limited amount of money. Do you really believe a child will teased more for a faded uniform than faded out-of-fashion clothing? If kids will tease other students for looking "poor" then they will do that regardless of uniforms or regular clothing.

I was a poor student wearing hand-me-downs, home-made outfits, and cheap clothing, so I know what I'm talking about. I was a very sensitive loner but I survived.

I am saying wearing a uniforn is not going to stop kids from being bulled and I am not saying a kid will be picked on more for wearing an old uniform than hand made cloths.My sister use to dress her daughters in clothes that looked like someone my mother would wear! The clothes new and cost money , but her daughters were picked on for wearing 'little old lady clothes'! Kids will pick on other kids for any reason . My exhusband was poor and he had to wear his sister ice skates he said he was picked on for this. . I think it is horrible for a child to pick for being poor and any reason!

Did you see the news today, 5 kids from Salem NH are being charges with bullying a girl. She checked herself into a mental health clinic as the bullying was so horrible! The cops said they did not like to arrest kids , but something need to be done about all the bullying. The cops are starting to get tough after 2 killed killed themselves a few months ago out here! I wish the cops had gotten tough before not after kids hanged themselves!

... My exhusband was poor and he had to wear his sister ice skates he said he was picked on for this. . I think it is horrible for a child to pick for being poor and any reason!
My poor brother. He was younger than me, so he got some of my hand-me-downs. My parents planned for that in ways that wouldn't embarrass him. They bought me boy's used ice skates (black), boy's bicycle, boy's play clothes, etc. They figured it was less embarrassing for me to use boys' things than for my brother to use girls' things.

Did you see the news today, 5 kids from Salem NH are being charges with bullying a girl. She checked herself into a mental health clinic as the bullying was so horrible! The cops said they did not like to arrest kids , but something need to be done about all the bullying. The cops are starting to get tough after 2 killed killed themselves a few months ago out here! I wish the cops had gotten tough before not after kids hanged themselves!
No, I didn't see that yet.

That's why I said authorities have to be notified about serious bullying.

No, I didn't see that yet.

That's why I said authorities have to be notified about serious bullying.
I agree with you! I been saying the same thing in another website ! I went to meeting in the police station once to ask what wasd being done to protects kids that have aspergers , I saw whast my poor niece
went through , she got really sick and had to put on med's and the DR. almost overdose her! The schools need to do a better job in keeping our kids safe, teachers should be held accountable if they do not report any bullying!
Teachers are mandated reporters!

5 NH Students Charged In Bullying Probe Reporting
Alana Gomez SALEM, N.H. (WBZ) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
Richard Lovette
Salem, NH Police/WBZ

Close

numSlides of totalImages Five students at Salem High School in New Hampshire have been charged with criminal harassment after they allegedly bullied a 16-year-old girl.

The girl sent a text to her mother from school recently saying "she was being picked on and couldn't take it anymore," according to police.

The unidentified teen ended up in the hospital for a week.

Police say on April 6, the victim reported being verbally harassed in her American Studies class about her sports interests, physical appearance, and sexual orientation.

She then texted her mother she couldn't take it anymore, and she wanted to hurt herself.

The victim's mother notified school officials who contacted police, and the girl was immediately removed from class.

She was subsequently evaluated and admitted to a psychiatric hospital for five days.

"She's very athletic, churchgoing, just a good person," said sophomore Matt Tisbert, who said he's known the victim since fifth grade. "Ever since she was a kid she's always been picked on."

Tisbert also knows one of the suspects, 17-year-old Richard Lovette.

"He kind of played it off like a joke," said Tisbert. "I don't think he intended this to go this far; he's a good kid. In class, when we talk about the situation, he felt guilty and you could just tell by his actions."

The other four students involved, two 16-year-old boys, a 16-year-old girl, and a 15-year-old girl, were not identified because they are juveniles.

School officials say all five students were suspended for varying lengths of time depending on their involvement.

Police say the suspects and the victim are all back in school now.

The school also responded to the incident by revisiting the school's bullying policy with staff, and holding separate assemblies for each grade level about the consequences of bullying.

School resource officers who have been in touch with the victim and her family say that they just want to move on and hope that their experience will protect others.

"She's [the victim's mother] hoping from this experience it heightens awareness with police and from the community; it kind of heightens the awareness with police, and from the community as a whole," said resource officer Matthew Norcross with the Salem Police Department.

"I think it's right that they're punished, and I hope it sends a message to the students," said Diane Holdsworth, whose grandson goes to Salem High School.

"Every school I think has their group of kids that are nasty, but here it's just, when does it end," said sophomore Alison Moldoff.

Lovette turned himself in on a warrant.

He was released on $300 bail and is scheduled to be arraigned in Salem District Court in June.

The other four students facing charges have scheduled appearances in juvenile court with their parents.
(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

I wish my kid's school had a uniform policy. Uniforms (5 pants, 5 tops and a couple sweatshirts) are FAR more affordable than more fashionable options. not to mention it eliminates the "what do I want to wear today?" dawdling that makes getting ready for school take FOREVER. My daughter starts Kindergarten next year and we will be implementing a family school dress policy - longer shorts or jeans, polo or rugby and a sweatshirt on cool days. A little more forgiving than most uniform policies, I think, but still manageable.

Children's Wear Outlet has VERY reasonably price uniform pieces and lots of options other than khakis & a polo.

I remember checking the temperature outside to see if it was cold enough to wear pants. Girls had to wear a skirt unless the temperature dropped below a designated temperature. I'm so glad that those days are over! lol

We may not be talking about the same "uniform." Some uniforms are old-fashioned stiff fabric and some uniforms are comfy knits. A big difference there! I wouldn't want to put my kids in an old-fashioned uniform like a suit. A comfy knit uniform would be more acceptable. I think that kids should be in comfy clothes so that they can play without worrying about their clothes.

I remember checking the temperature outside to see if it was cold enough to wear pants. Girls had to wear a skirt unless the temperature dropped below a designated temperature. I'm so glad that those days are over! lol
In Connecticut, we didn't even get that exception. :lol:

We may not be talking about the same "uniform." Some uniforms are old-fashioned stiff fabric and some uniforms are comfy knits. A big difference there! I wouldn't want to put my kids in an old-fashioned uniform like a suit. A comfy knit uniform would be more acceptable. I think that kids should be in comfy clothes so that they can play without worrying about their clothes.
Most of the public school uniforms I've seen are khaki, blue, or black slacks, shorts, jumpers, or skirts, with various color "polo" or "golf" shirts, or button-down shirts. It all appears to be "wash and wear". I haven't seen an "suits." Some include sweatshirts, t-shirts, cardigans, or windbreaker jackets.

Here's some examples:

school uniforms : Target Search Results

Back