Best Deaf Cell Phones? Samsung Galaxy Note II is one!

I tried to take a picture of how much snow we got, and my Note 2 hit the pavement. I'm devastated. :cry:
I can't get my roommate's help placing the insurance claim. I'm not sure how to fix this mess. Even got glass in my hand. What a disaster. The Note 2 was awesome while it lasted.

Well, I'm going to get the glass out of my hand and go cry my eyes out for a while.

Very sorry to hear that. That would make me sick. It is a slippery phone to hold, Did you have a cover for it?

I had the flip cover on my Note I & Note II until one day it fell out of my pocket and put some scratches on the chrome bezel on the corner.
The flip looks great and does protect the screen, but does NOT protect the rest of the phone, especially the chrome around the outer edge. That really ruined my day scratching it like that. So off came the flip and on went this rubber & plastic cover made by "Cube" I got at the local mall that protects it better. has a lip around the screen and I have a screen cover on it too. Look nice too!

purcov2-800.jpg

purcov-800.jpg

I tried to take a picture of how much snow we got, and my Note 2 hit the pavement. I'm devastated. :cry:
I can't get my roommate's help placing the insurance claim. I'm not sure how to fix this mess. Even got glass in my hand. What a disaster. The Note 2 was awesome while it lasted.

Well, I'm going to get the glass out of my hand and go cry my eyes out for a while.

sorry for the drop, it's life. The glass is called the digitizer. You can probably check up verizon sgn2 digitizers to see how much they cost on ebay and estimate if it is worth your time to do it yourself for the cost or trade it in and have verizon fix it for their estimated fee.

If you do the digitizer DIY route, unless you have a stash of cellphone modding tools, I'd get it with the LCD affixed (meaning it's already glued on and set up properly) on it to make a really easy job. LCD+Digitizers are usually called complete front frames. I've been modding a ton of phones since 2004 - never iphones though.

edit: be sure you get the right version or you may have problems. I recall for the galaxy series there's often a USA GSM (AT&T), T-mobile, international GSM, and CDMA version. I don't know if the sprint is the same one as the verizon one.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that. That would make me sick. It is a slippery phone to hold, Did you have a cover for it?

I had the flip cover on my Note I & Note II until one day it fell out of my pocket and put some scratches on the chrome bezel on the corner.
The flip looks great and does protect the screen, but does NOT protect the rest of the phone, especially the chrome around the outer edge. That really ruined my day scratching it like that. So off came the flip and on went this rubber & plastic cover made by "Cube" I got at the local mall that protects it better. has a lip around the screen and I have a screen cover on it too. Look nice too.

Yes, it is slippery. That is my only major complaint.

I found someone to make the call for me. I hate having people speaking for me, but I couldn't get it to go through online. A new one is on the way.

If you break one, be careful! The glass shards are a terrible hazard! It wasn't easy getting all the little pieces out of my fingers. I'm not completely sure I even got it all.
Ouch!

One week and already used up 1 of 2 claims, and I'm out an extra $100!

I've got an S2 and love it, I've found I hear the best with this phone using either speaker or even placing the phone by my CI. I struggled with the iPhone.
My only complant is battery life, even with power saving apps I'll likely need to recharge it by the evening.

I've got an S2 and love it, I've found I hear the best with this phone using either speaker or even placing the phone by my CI. I struggled with the iPhone.

I discovered the Note 2 has a feature called "My Call Sound". It asks a bunch of questions about what frequencies you can hear, then adjusts the call audio to match. I don't know how much difference it makes, as I don't make any calls - but it's worth noting.

oh no about the drop! Your provider will be able to replace the glass, though they'll have to send it out.
I have an Otter Box cover for mine because I drop my phones. Always had iphones before my Note ll and I prefer it. love the pen.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

I discovered the Note 2 has a feature called "My Call Sound". It asks a bunch of questions about what frequencies you can hear, then adjusts the call audio to match. I don't know how much difference it makes, as I don't make any calls - but it's worth noting.

I didn't know that. This is one awesome phone!
I think it will be a big hit for deaf folks. It is for me!

b2008034.jpg

I crazy love with NOTE II since it lanuched across major U.S. T-Mobile carrier .. :P

Last edited:
Sort of related but is there an android app that will convert spoken language into closed captioning? I'm looking for something that I can take to the movie theater or watch TV with I guess. Our theater doesn't have a CC option, so I don't go. I won't go into the CC on the TV argument we have in our house but let's just say it would be handy if I could use my cell phone to "watch" tv--current shows, not ones that may be available for downloads on Netflix, etc.

Sort of cell phone related-any good Android apps that will 'listen' to TV's and movies at theaters and convert to Closed Captioning? Our theater does not hae the CC option and well, I won't get into the controversy about CC at home....It would be nice to enjoy a tv show or go to a movie again.

Sort of related but is there an android app that will convert spoken language into closed captioning? I'm looking for something that I can take to the movie theater or watch TV with I guess. Our theater doesn't have a CC option, so I don't go. I won't go into the CC on the TV argument we have in our house but let's just say it would be handy if I could use my cell phone to "watch" tv--current shows, not ones that may be available for downloads on Netflix, etc.

There are apps that will convert speech to text, however they are not sensitive enough to pick up a TV or a movie theater, nor are they fast enough to keep up. Not to mention coping with other noises in the show or movie as well as ambient sound in the room. The technology just isn't there yet.

When I read about CC arguments, it makes me mad. :mad:
It's a rule in my house that deaf/HoH guests are welcome to turn CC/subtitles on if it's not already on, and any hearing that have an issue with that can leave and stay gone.
:rl:

There are apps that will convert speech to text, however they are not sensitive enough to pick up a TV or a movie theater, nor are they fast enough to keep up. Not to mention coping with other noises in the show or movie as well as ambient sound in the room. The technology just isn't there yet.

It's a rule in my house that deaf/HoH guests are welcome to turn CC/subtitles on if it's not already on, and any hearing that have an issue with that can leave and stay gone.

as well you upset what is wrong, issues on well unfornatetly

I don't know what is wrong issues turn cc/subitiles. I think so you have troubleshooting.!

hard say tell you!

That's right... at my house CC is on and stays on. If someone doesn't like it (ie too distracting etc) they can watch TV in another room or leave. PERIOD.

New cellphone models come out so often that it's hard to keep up but my advice on finding the best deaf phone is go to to a mortar-and-brick store and hold the demo in your hand. Obviously with being deaf you can only do text or relay calls so it's important that you are comfortable typing quickly.

I have SamSung stratosphere which I like because it has a flipout keyboard which is better than blackberry. This makes for easy typing but one slight annoyance is that there's an "exit" button that's just too easy to accidentally hit. I've had problems with typing a text message and bam it disappears because I hit the exit key.

Unfortunatly those that have issues with the CC are not "guests" in our house :hmm:. Hopefully the technology will be there soon for an app for this. If I knew anything about apps I would try to develop one :D.

Unfortunatly those that have issues with the CC are not "guests" in our house :hmm:. Hopefully the technology will be there soon for an app for this. If I knew anything about apps I would try to develop one :D.

Why don't you just turn the sound off so they can't hear it, and then let them know that's how it is for you?

I feel lucky everybody in my house needs captions.

Why don't you just turn the sound off so they can't hear it, and then let them know that's how it is for you?

I feel lucky everybody in my house needs captions.

To be honest, family members here are just clueless with my husband being the worst. They don't look at me when they talk, they try to ask me questions from the other room and get mad when I don't answer, etc. My hearing loss is a big inconvenience in their lives....I've been trying for 18 years to get them to understand. I honestly think my husband thinks I am faking my hearing loss. I need him to come to one of my appointments to hear the DR tell him how severe my loss is, but he doesn't. It is what it is. I can get upset over it or just ignore it....

Back