Best Deaf Cell Phones? Samsung Galaxy Note II is one!

That is why the Note II is so good. With the big screen it is EASY to type on whereas the smaller phones it's a PITA to type. Go to where they sell the Note II and try it out... then you'll see.

I had the Dell Streak before the Note II and it was a great phone too.
Didn't have the Blinking LED for notification though.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be switching to Samsung at the end of the year. Blackberry was just one big disappointment, stops working at times and just too hard to text.

Laura

I just got the Note 2. If anyone wants to know anything about it, see a screenshot, or wants me to check compatibility with an app, i'd be happy to help before you buy.

Just an FYI, the note 2 takes 2 amps draw to charge properly. I had to replace my car charger even though I've used it on my last two Samsung phones.

I just got the Note 2. If anyone wants to know anything about it, see a screenshot, or wants me to check compatibility with an app, i'd be happy to help before you buy.

Just an FYI, the note 2 takes 2 amps draw to charge properly. I had to replace my car charger even though I've used it on my last two Samsung phones.
Well, how do you like yours so far? I've had mine less than a week and love it.

Well, how do you like yours so far? I've had mine less than a week and love it.

I've been using it a couple days.
I can't judge battery life yet because of the charger issue I mentioned.

Pros:
GORGEOUS screen, very responsive touch.
The Handwritten commands is a nice alternative to the voice command. (Ie - If I write "~ Jessica", it will open the text message app with a message addressed to my friend, Jessica)
The S voice app will let you write right on it instead of speaking to it - and accepts the same commands written as it does for spoken commands. It's a fun gimmick.
LED indicator, as mentioned. I've seen 3 colors, which is nice.
It will let you create custom vibe patterns.
Stable, VERY stable. This is the most stable Android device I've had my hands on.
If you have it on the table and hold your hand over it, it will briefly light up with time, and notifications for text messages, and email. This is handy!
Google Now is... interesting.
Rear Camera is very nice, haven't tried the front facing yet.

Just Be Aware:
This is a TWO HANDED phone. It has one handed mode, but - no this takes two hands unless you have big hands. I have fairly small hands, and can type out a short text, but anything longer than a sentence or two and I really need both hands.
Big piece of glass - very susceptible to screen damage.
Heavy charging draw, be prepared to buy new chargers.
I wouldn't recommend this for beginners, but excellent for anyone who's had at least 1 smartphone.
Audio output is ridiculously loud.
This phone isn't going to fit in anything, really. Car mount, a phone case you've been using, nope - too big. I'm borrowing a case from a handheld game system and it barely fits in that!!

Cons:
Slippery
Handwriting recognition can get frustrating if you write too fast or too slow.
Does not come with a MicroSD card, which some apps require regardless of internal space.
Calendar display can be a little overwhelming at first glance.

Overall, I love this thing!

As you post about your different pieces of equipment (phones, tablets, accessories, etc.) it would be so helpful if you would include which carrier you are using and/or if it is GSM or CDMA.

For example: I am in an area where Verizon (and their MVNO's) is by far the dominant carrier. They are CDMA. Here we do have some service from ATT but it is not very useful with the latest tech because we only have 2G service and must current things need 3G at the very least. So, if your stuff is on GSM it is not something that will help me.

As you post about your different pieces of equipment (phones, tablets, accessories, etc.) it would be so helpful if you would include which carrier you are using and/or if it is GSM or CDMA.

For example: I am in an area where Verizon (and their MVNO's) is by far the dominant carrier. They are CDMA. Here we do have some service from ATT but it is not very useful with the latest tech because we only have 2G service and must current things need 3G at the very least. So, if your stuff is on GSM it is not something that will help me.

My note 2 is on Verizon.

Besides the things I mention in my first post, I love the screen for showing my clients my photos as I'm a Nature & Wildlife photographer by trade.
It takes good pictures too... Attached are a couple I shot recently with it. I'm with At&T.

Nature & Wildlife Photography
Moskovita Photography, Seattle / Tacoma, WA - Digital Photographer, Webmaster, Web Site Design.
moskovita-logo5.gif

Attachments

• skagit-800.jpg
    skagit-800.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
  • skagit2-800.jpg
    skagit2-800.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11

What do you mean by 2 amps to charge properly? I assume it comes with a charger and you charge the phone for eight hours before you can do anything.

Laura

Wirelessly posted

SneakerNet said:
jack55 said:
What is Best Deaf Cell Phones out there right now?

For me it's the Samsung Galaxy Note II!

I didn't know that Samsung Galaxy Note II is deaf.

Lol that's a good one.

I have iPhone 5 and use AT&T with LTE (approx 60mb download, the fastest yet I've ever seen). I liked iPhone because of great selection of apps and good accessibility app that comes with iOS.

Last edited:
What do you mean by 2 amps to charge properly? I assume it comes with a charger and you charge the phone for eight hours before you can do anything.

Laura

Amps is a measurement of electrical current. Most USB chargers are between 0.5 and 1 amp. It comes with a 2 amp wall charger, but if you own other chargers, you may need to replace them.
I have to replace my 0.5 amp car charger, and my 0.85 amp travel charger.
The 1 amp charger in the living room seem to be enough if I'm just looking to keep it running while I'm using it.

If you were to try charging it at 0.5 amps, the phone uses more than 0.5 amps just running. The battery still drains when using a half amp charger.

Amps is a measurement of electrical current. Most USB chargers are between 0.5 and 1 amp. It comes with a 2 amp wall charger, but if you own other chargers, you may need to replace them.
I have to replace my 0.5 amp car charger, and my 0.85 amp travel charger.
The 1 amp charger in the living room seem to be enough if I'm just looking to keep it running while I'm using it.

If you were to try charging it at 0.5 amps, the phone uses more than 0.5 amps just running. The battery still drains when using a half amp charger.

Sounds like it might work though for plugging in to charge when you went to bed. Of course, not leave it on while doing so.

Sounds like it might work though for plugging in to charge when you went to bed. Of course, not leave it on while doing so.

A 0.5.... it may take a day to a day and a half on a 0.5 amp. I had it on a 0.5 amp charger and it went up 2% in 4 hours. This phone is just too big for the older standard USB chargers.

For those of you who like LED notification, I got it to run a custom notification app. Bluetooth on has it blinking pink right now. You can change the colors. Its called Light Flow. It looks like I can pick a color for txt messages by a certain contact (ie orange for Al, green for mom)
Also lets you use the camera flash to notify.
Looks like the Note 2 supports it. :)

For those of you who like LED notification, I got it to run a custom notification app. Bluetooth on has it blinking pink right now. You can change the colors. Its called Light Flow. It looks like I can pick a color for txt messages by a certain contact (ie orange for Al, green for mom)
I'm using the "Blink" app and that works perfectly too. I have purple for the text LED notifications. I also have it where the text message will turn on the phone every 10 minutes with a text icon and vibration for 5 seconds until answered too.

No notification for email as I get at least 50 a day.

With that 5.5" display, for texting or email, this is a GREAT phone for deaf people.

I am waiting for a phone that will tell you where you left it encase you forget where it is. I am afraid I would lose a cell phone , unless I have it hanging around my neck all the time.

iPhone. LED notifications, custom vibrations for different callers. Vibrations differ between emails, apps, calls, and texts. Font size changing for stock apps, third party-apps have their own sometimes. iOS is full is accessibility settings.

Have you actually tried the Light Flow aopp on the Note II yet?
I hear there are issues with Note II with that. See this link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

and this link:

Forum | SAMSUNG Developers

I tried to take a picture of how much snow we got, and my Note 2 hit the pavement. I'm devastated. :cry:
I can't get my roommate's help placing the insurance claim. I'm not sure how to fix this mess. Even got glass in my hand. What a disaster. The Note 2 was awesome while it lasted.

Well, I'm going to get the glass out of my hand and go cry my eyes out for a while.

you just need to correct charger, there needs to be a jumper across to e 2 center terminals of the usb cable or plug to trigger the hi current charge mode u can tell if its in the hi current charge mode because you will not get the usb connect symbol or get it asking if you want charge or storage mode etc...

Back