Being deaf is

And that question has been asked sooooo many times. Seems it is always a hearing person asking it.:giggle:

Someone made that comment on another message board, saying that if we could magically cure deafness with a pill, all deaf people would be cured within two months -- and I spent 6 pages telling him how wrong it was. :o

Someone made that comment on another message board, saying that if we could magically cure deafness with a pill, all deaf people would be cured within two months -- and I spent 6 pages telling him how wrong it was. :o

The Straight Dope, eh?

Just as wrong as it is to go around spouting the audist belief that all deaf people secretly want to be hearing.

Curious: If there were some kind of magic pill that 'cured' deafness before children were even born, would the Deaf community oppose?

(Obviously that's medically impossible, but just for the sake of argument.)

Not this again. We JUST had a thread on this type of subject. Yes, magic pills and all.

Nothing funny about it. It's a forum composed of people that try to appear intelligent but a lot of them are truly ignorant.

Wasn't laughing at the forum, but at the way you called it out. Knew right away what one was being talked about.

Another one looking for stem cells to cure deafness? I do hope you aren't putting your life on hold waiting for that one.
Are you saying that your iq has increased all because you can hear now?

Huh, hope you're not going around boasting about that.

oh jesus christ, i was being sarcastic.

(i was giving a hard time to whoever I was responding to)

Deaf people can do anything except hear. :) CI or HA to help to communicate or listening but it wont cure their hearing. Not a big deal.

I was born hearing. I lost some hearing (became hoh) at an early age. In 1990 or so I became deaf after a surgery.

Guess what? It took a while, but I like being deaf. I would not change it. I think it weeded out insincere asssociates, helped me to see people for who they truly are, made me realize how incredibly awesome my husband and family is, I got to meet you guys and other new friends. I am learning a beautiful language of ASL. If there was a pill I would forego it.

I am sad for those who cannot embrace themselves and those who do not have access to the diverse, wonderful deaf culture.

Back