Being deaf is

especially since he sees it as a problem...

Being HOH as a child was a huge problem to me! I got hit for not hearing my dad call me! I think you're forgetting some people had a horrible time growing as a HOH child! I would had given anything to not been HOH and have my family not call me names and made fun of me!

I'm sorry that you had that experience. You parents were abusive. Abusive people hurt their children, whether the children hear or not.

Have you had therapy? I had a horrible childhood and therapy has helped me a lot. I didn't want my childhood to rob me of a chance for a good life. It's important not to become bitter. Please talk with a therapist and work through your anger. You deserve that. You deserve a good life not weighted down by ghosts from the past.

New Deaf Pen Pal

Hi, I'm full deaf and I joined All Deaf on May 21, 2011 for deaf forum, make new friends on the website so i could socialize for Deaf Club, etc. Thank you!

I also go to California School for the Deaf in Fremont, California.

Hi, I'm full deaf and I joined All Deaf on May 21, 2011 for deaf forum, make new friends on the website so i could socialize for Deaf Club, etc. Thank you!

I also go to California School for the Deaf in Fremont, California.

Hi there. Hope you have fun with us. :wave:

[“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world”]Hi, I'm full deaf and I joined All Deaf on May 21, 2011 for deaf forum, make new friends on the website so i could socialize for Deaf Club, etc. Thank you!

I also go to California School for the Deaf in Fremont, California.[/QUOTE]

I am proud to be Deaf, but i know who i am and no matter how i love being Deaf. I love socializing, want to learn more about Deaf culture. And love God too.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you had that experience. You parents were abusive. Abusive people hurt their children, whether the children hear or not.

Have you had therapy? I had a horrible childhood and therapy has helped me a lot. I didn't want my childhood to rob me of a chance for a good life. It's important not to become bitter. Please talk with a therapist and work through your anger. You deserve that. You deserve a good life not weighted down by ghosts from the past.

I have forgiven my mother for not stopping the abuse, I realize that she was a victim of my dad too. I was trying to say that people have difference lives experiences and they should not be judge for how they feel about being HOH or deaf.

I have forgiven my mother for not stopping the abuse, I realize that she was a victim of my dad too. I was trying to say that people have difference lives experiences and they should not be judge for how they feel about being HOH or deaf.

You're absolutely right. I was very much like him in high school, but that doesn't excuse him from being outright rude. I do believe he's very naive and ignorant about the Deaf world and I do feel a bit bad for being so harsh on him. But that's no excuse for him being impolite, insulting and saying this before running off and hiding: "I take it i'm not welcome here simply because i represent everything all of you stand against, that is, hard work, curiosity, novel ideas, and change."

Not a good way to make friends. I don't judge him for how he feels about being deaf, I judge him on his manners or lack thereof.

drphil: I consider myself HOH. I have a hearing loss of 75 DB in my left ear, 95 DB in my right ear. I have hearing aids. Let me tell you what I have done: I have gone to a HEARING high school, taken Honors and AP ENGLISH classes. I have gotten a 5 on the AP test for English. I have a better vocabulary than many of my HEARING friends and often help them with their English homework. I also competitively sail, which is a sport that requires more communication and discussion than pretty much any other sport on the Earth. All this while having a Severe-profound hearing loss in my GOOD ear.

As a result of the previous, I consider myself "cured" of Deafness. I function well in a normal society. I accept that people may not take that cure. It required a great amount of hard work on my part, but nothing frustrates me more than a blatantly obvious cure that people ignore. Thus, if people choose not to accept the cure, the physical problem becomes a psychological problem.

Oh my f*** god. So audist.

What do you consider the difference between being Deaf and being deaf?

Fine, then the Deaf community doesnt need someone like you. Go off to your hearing world if you think so little of us.

sailerboy: For your further consideration from my experience. I was in the Profound category over 35 years. Became deaf-actual- in Right ear-Feb/92. deaf-actual in Left ear Dec/06. Now bilateral deaf.
Like you took classes-in my case Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto dealing/coping with your Hearing Loss from 1992 to 2007. I was even part of York University/ CHS study on persons deal with their hearing loss in 1995/96. Duly published in Journal of Aural Rehab.
Now what happens when one reaches deafness-silence?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Being HOH as a child was a huge problem to me! I got hit for not hearing my dad call me! I think you're forgetting some people had a horrible time growing as a HOH child! I would had given anything to not been HOH and have my family not call me names and made fun of me!

right now i know exactly how you will have felt!!

CI and Hearing aids is just a tool. It's impossible to cure deafness without having to use tools to hear a shit.

CI and Hearing aids is just a tool. It's impossible to cure deafness without having to use tools to hear a shit.

Many people cochlear implant, teacher both Team force to CI serious 0_o that is stupid! they control on my area! they have screw up on area, do you can't force it everyone! once time said NO, ask me cochlear implant I don't care!

Many people cochlear implant, teacher both Team force to CI serious 0_o that is stupid! they control on my area! they have screw up on area, do you can't force it everyone! once time said NO, ask me cochlear implant I don't care!

Forcing it is not cool, i agree. Its either you want it or not, but people shouldnt have to force it on you. I respect the fact that you dont want an implant, its cool by me, hopefully cool by others, but sadly, probably not.

People (especially on this forum) need to respect others of the decisions they make rather than counter-augmenting their decision.

Forcing it is not cool, i agree. Its either you want it or not, but people shouldnt have to force it on you. I respect the fact that you dont want an implant, its cool by me, hopefully cool by others, but sadly, probably not.

People (especially on this forum) need to respect others of the decisions they make rather than counter-augmenting their decision.

Are you cool with your parents implanting you when you had no say in it resulting in you being crippled when it broke?

Back