Bad bushfires in victoria australia

Brydie714 - I was wrong, the kinglake areas are affected in the bushfire as I am currently reading the latest news on the internet. All bushfires are affected in the southeastern and western area ---- just about 50 KM away from melbourne outskirts. romany can you update where the bushfires are accurately located?

Mod note:

Thread's merged

My town was sooo lucky, the fires stopped just short of the edges of township and the wind changed direction, taking the fires around us instead of through our town.

I just feel so helpless, horrified, desperately sad for the families and relatives of those that have been lost to the fires.

It is truly a black day in Australian history. The entire north east/west parts of Victoria are still burning. So far, three townships have been wiped off the map, they are still counting more bodies, the toll was at 138 dead the last I heard but 200 is predicted.

I am about 250 kms away from the nearest worst firespots, so our town is relatively safe for the moment. But we are still on alert for any sudden spot fires that could flare up out of nowhere at any moment with a change in the weather conditions.

My prayers and thoughts go out to those affected by the bushfires.

Yes, it's very sad to watch on TV about them... :(

I went Victoria, Australia with my family in winter 2000/1. Victoria is a beautiful town...

I did watched news on this tonight. It is very sad to see so many people lost their homes etc. :(

My prayers and thoughts for those affected by the forest fires.

A decade of drought and high temps? Sounds like the same problem that the Southwest US has...I know what it feels like as I came from AZ.

The firefighters are the heros for working very hard to fight the fires. One of my former classmates is a firefighter in CA and he said that it gets so hot causing their body temps to rise so they feel like they have a fever but still have to keep on going. I cant imagine how it must feel for them. He said once they are done, the exhaustion overwhelms them. Also, he said it is much much worse when the winds are whipping the fires around and can get very very dangerous. They deserve our appreciation.

Glad u got out safetly, Romany!

Yes I saw on the news last night that entire towns were wiped off the map, residents were battling the flames with garden hoses and pressure washers as the flames licked at their yards. Some died trying to flee from the flames. I fee horrible for these people. I have several mates in Australia that I am close with and I fear for their safety everyday. I just pray that I dont wake up one morning and find that I have lost one of my friends to the flames.

My heart goes out to those that have lost everything they have worked so hard for such as their homes and families, and jobs as well as the workplaces are burning up too.

I can't believe that the death toll rose to 173 today.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd was upset during a TV interview and reflected disgust that arsonists may be to blame. Truth?

I've been watching news about this incident.

It's terrible and devastating. :(

I hope the death toll won't continue to rise. It's bad enough when there's a lot of mayhem over there. I'll pray for those victims who were affected by this fires.

I just found out one of my deaf friends who lives in the outskirts of Melbourne is concerned about her house which is rented out and it is in the affected areas of the bushfires -- Romany, you know it is in flowerdale.

Hi, Sara -

In the future, Would you please post one link instead of posting several links about the same thing over and over again? :)

I saw it on TV. That is so horrible! I hope that the fire will go away soon as possible. I hope that some American Indians will dance and pray that clouds will rain there.

I saw it on TV. That is so horrible! I hope that the fire will go away soon as possible. I hope that some American Indians will dance and pray that clouds will rain there.

American Indians should teach Australian Aborigines how to dance for making rain. :laugh2:

Back