Bad bushfires in victoria australia

romany

Reaction score
We're experiencing a very bad situation in Victoria (also South Australia) with bushfires raging out of control in a few parts of the state.

I had a drama filled day myself, my dad and I were evacuated by the police and a friend as bushfires were approaching our property rapidly. We had to rush around loading all my greyhounds into 3 cars and a trailer (tight squeeze lol with so many dogs!), we also hosed the roof of our house and surrounding yards to try to keep embers off.

We left our place at 1pm (I think, it was a mad rush I can't remember the time) and were only allowed back at about 5pm when the police took the blockade off the road after the fires were contained.

A lot of farms, houses, businesses etc were not so lucky in nearby towns though. A golf club burnt down.

It was such an awful day today, extreme temps of 47 degrees (Melbourne broke the record today for the hottest day since 1935 I think) and with gale force hot winds blowing, making the situation critical.
I couldn't even sweat, the sweat dried instantly on me. I am now brown all over from being sunburnt within minutes :shock::cool2:

A local firefighter was badly hurt in my town today, with 50% burns to his body. :cry:

I just want to give a big APPRECIATEFUL thanks to those tireless hardworking firefighters who give so much of their time voluntarily to train for these kind of situations. Also to the police for their helpfulness and quick acting alerts to residents to evacuate.

Glad you are okay. :shock: Hopefully it will cool down in Victoria State soon.

Isn't Aussieland under a severe drought?

if I recall correctly from JClarke - it's been in drought for a very long time... I think almost a decade??

Yes there are severe bushfires down there every summer. Also I recall mom saying something about that one part of Australia is under water with floods! I think Australia is having a hard time balancing everything!

Im glad that you were hurt and I feel sorry for the FF that was critically injured.

Romany, I am glad that you and your family are safe. It is a dreadful thing to happen to have fires around and the heatwaves too. It must have been sooo hot. It is tragic that 25 people have died and there could be more. South Australia and New South Wales also have fires going right now. I hope there will be a relieve of cooler weather ahead for you soon.

25 killed in Victorian bushfires

OH Jeez !! :eek: What about JClarkie? I believe that he is from South Australia? :(

Yes there are severe bushfires down there every summer. Also I recall mom saying something about that one part of Australia is under water with floods! I think Australia is having a hard time balancing everything!

Im glad that you were hurt and I feel sorry for the FF that was critically injured.

Yes Dixie, your mom is right. Far North Queensland is currently in flood. I am praying that my sister and her son are safe from it as they lives there.

Supplies rushed to flooded north Qld

Good! too far from Victoria. Your weather is dry or humid?

Dry here at the moment and windy. We will be getting hotter during this week with 40 C deg (104 F) expected for thursday.

Dry here at the moment and windy. We will be getting hotter during this week with 40 C deg (104 F) expected for thursday.

No worries
australia-flag-06.gif

Back