Audism Free America

Dang. My family is made up of audists. Yesterday we visited Mom for her 89th birthday and I felt left out. My brothers and sisters all joked around a mile a minute and didn't explain a single joke or remark to me. I wasn't upset, just resigned. Fortunately Mom understood. I could tell by the sad gaze she gave me at times, God bless her.

No. He's bilaterally deaf, remember ? Since such-and-such date.

its like im sorry but im not sorry

How's this for rephrasing them: I'm sorry that I wrote it in such a way as to make people think that's what I meant?

I really am sorry that it came across that way, but how do you say that and make it an actual apology?

How's this for rephrasing them: I'm sorry that I wrote it in such a way as to make people think that's what I meant?

I really am sorry that it came across that way, but how do you say that and make it an actual apology?

"I am really sorry."

I find it pretty odd that I met a hearing ASL grad school student whose co-hosting for Dave and Buster's deaf social event once every month, he criticizes anyone who attempts to pull audist remarks on other deaf people at the event. Whoa!! He seems so strongly supporting deaf people. How 258!

isn't it 458? :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

StevieMont927 said:
Your original post. You did not use the word "allow" directly, but the tone of your post struck me as if a parent would deny a child an opportuity to learn speech skills as opposed to presenting them with the opportunity.

I didn't intend for it to come off that way, and I'm sorry if you took it badly. If a naive parent was trying to avoid looking like a hardcore audist they might insist that their child learn only sign, and not provide them the opportunity. That's the only situation I can think of for a parent denying their child the opportunity to speak.

there are parents who choose to not use amplification and do not give their child speech therapy. That child uses asl and does not have access to spoken language either directly through therapy or indirectly through listening.

Wirelessly posted

there are parents who choose to not use amplification and do not give their child speech therapy. That child uses asl and does not have access to spoken language either directly through therapy or indirectly through listening.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Wirelessly posted

Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

if the parents are fully committed to providing asl as the language of communication for their child's world, at all times (not just when speaking to the child) more power to them. The family knows what works for their kid.

but to say that all deaf kids get spoken language training or have access to spoken language is not true.

Form the letter V. It's the same as a 2.

Form the sign interesting. It starts out with a flat palm (palm should be facing you), resembling a 5, and it turns into an 8 when you're done with the sign.

Back