Audism Free America

You think 3 soc classes makes you know the complexities of sociology? I don't think so. Yes, each family does have its own norms, but the society as a whole does as well... and that helps to shape the families norms and values.
Deaf people, or at least the ones I know, do know that they can be very loud, but hearies are loud too, they are consistently looking down on Deaf culture, they are consistently having the "oh poor you" attitude about being Deaf, and that is a product of our current culture, not individual family values and norms. It is that society tries to put each of us in little boxes, boxes that may not fit us, but we are forced into them, be they gender, age, race, or ability... and they judge us based on those boxes we are put into... have you ever heard of the invisible knapsack? May not have been taught in your 3 soc classes, well when tweaked a little, it can be used for Deaf identity too... take a look at it... White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh
ya know what, yes, maybe some of us Deaf do have a chip on our shoulders, but look at conflict theory... since you brought up the sociological view point, change has to start SOMEWHERE. The oppressed do have to rise over the oppressor. Maybe, just maybe, have you ever thought about it, that chip is deserved... ?
If you want to try and tell me you know everything about sociology and how it applies to Deaf culture, then sure... give me a lesson... because I'm sure my degree and my credentials will show you different. I don't claim to know everything there is about sociology, yes i was a soc major, yes I do have my degree, but even those with PhD's can't honestly say they know everything there is about soc, it is a social science and is constantly changing... but I can tell you I know a HELL of a lot more about it then you do with your amazing 3 classes...

to the other posters... sorry if this seems a little rude... but this just pissed me off... I took 3 psych classes in college so according to MDCodeRedFreak I could claim I know about psychology... I'm sure those who majored would think quite differently about that idea....

this is scary hearing this from you.

Oh! I was at one of those gas station/bar/motel type of places in the country pumping gas into my car when a drunk driver backed up in such a way that his left side of the truck scraped right up against the right side of my car. When the police arrived, he said it was my fault the accident happened because I'm deaf and that he shouldn't be arrested because he's a war veteran.

It's unbelievable what some people say.

Now that is an orignal!! Holy Cow! what an idiot!

I just now read this entire thread - really deserves a prize-winning double-facepalm.

I'm sorry to say this, but ... do the deafies even realize how loud they actually are, from a hearing person's point of view? They (deafies) need to realize that they are actually speaking OF (not for) themselves.

Exactly like how one episode of an old NBC sitcom "Friends" where Phoebe falls asleep in the coffeehouse, then wakes up and explains to her group of friends why she zonked out - she stayed up all night trying to fall asleep but couldn't only because of her deaf neighbors having loud sex (okay, they are old neighbors who are late-deafened, but still you get my point) ... IIRC, what Phoebe said was this exact quote:

"... they are old, and deaf. They kept reassuring each other they had a great time - you have no idea how LOUD they were!"

And, speaking of my own experiences at college, I once had a suitemate (he's very cute, btw) who has had a deaf roommate before he met me - he told me that deafie was definitely NOT quiet at all (and I'm glad I never met that deafie at all). I was like "aha, figures - why should I be surprised?" He laughed - and we got along well.

The point behind those 2 points stated above is, there has to be some audists around, in the sociological view (I took 3 sociology classes at college). Without diversity, this country wouldn't have existed, or better yet the entire world!

So, please rethink, or if possible, drop the whole "Audism-Free America" thing. No wonder why hearies say that deafies "have a chip on their shoulders," and sorry, oppression doesn't really count as a good counter-answer ... think about it. What is the closest sociological group? La familia (the family) - it always start with your family from birth to death, even if it's just one deafie in a whole family of hearies. Each family has its own values, norms, folkways, and mores.

Just ... *taps on side of forehead* think about it. Please.

If you enjoy being oppressed, then kudos to you!

Oh! I was at one of those gas station/bar/motel type of places in the country pumping gas into my car when a drunk driver backed up in such a way that his left side of the truck scraped right up against the right side of my car. When the police arrived, he said it was my fault the accident happened because I'm deaf and that he shouldn't be arrested because he's a war veteran.

It's unbelievable what some people say.

Too bad for him...he was a drunk war veteran and you were a sober Deaf.:laugh2:

Where I work - 'voice-off' is expected and encouraged.

Deafbajagirl, but that's different. What I mean by "voice off" is a kid who has little to no oral skills. Voice off as a school philopsy has more to do with making sure everyone has 100% acessiblity. You have said that students at your school run the gamut, and there are even a lot of kids who are more oral then sign, right?

yes but that's because there is that stupid audism raging rampant in schools in which ways that forces kids to 'police themself' to be ;more clever' or more educated' or more whatever means in such a way that 'knows like hearing kids' d/Deaf kids seems to feel worried about not knowing as much as hearing kids. Im saying part of this is hearing to -deaf then deaf to deaf reactions to 'audism' for lack of the better word...it is still bascially audism

no, i dont agree with you DD, because basically you seem to be saying its Ok for audism to exist, i wouldnt condone it , voice off SHOULD be ENCOURAGED, dammit. and ALSO knowledge-wise, mouthing (no voices) on naming terms what hearing people otherwise identify. Put differently why should we feel bad if we dont compell to display knowledge of the hearing world? like this 'eagerness' is a sign of weak deafness.
i have no idea how my post will be understood, well I hope. Im not creative writer nor trying to be, im just sprouting off ideas as id dare to say so to create an angle otherwise not perceived nor discussed because seldom do we ever talk about habits of audism in truth of the matter?

Where I work - 'voice-off' is expected and encouraged.

DD, we experience the same as deafbajagal with my daughter's school -- it's all voices-off except in very specific designated and controlled circumstances where accessibility isn't an issue. I think that's the most common approach in most if not all bi-bi schools: ASL is the primary language for all and the majority doesn't use spoken language. Voices off isn't a negative thing, though -- immersion in ASL is a large part of why we have our daughter enrolled there.

Could she be from another country? Some countries have some asinine laws regarding what deaf people can't do. Or was she born and raised in Buffalo? I wasn't sure if you mean to say that she was born and raised there or you went to college in Buffalo.

No, she was born in Buffalo and grew up in Buffalo all of her life. Yes, we went to same college and lived in a dorm suite together.

There is plenty of Deaf Child yellow signs everywhere on the streets in Buffalo and outside Buffalo and Niagara Falls as well.

I can relate. I wasn't allowed to ride a bike or do most anything for that reason.

I had a neighbor call social services on me because I did allow my son to ride a bike in the neighborhood. She failed to tell him that it was on a short cul-de-sac, and I was always outside with him when he was riding!:lol: Of course, social services laughed at the call.

DD, we experience the same as deafbajagal with my daughter's school -- it's all voices-off except in very specific designated and controlled circumstances where accessibility isn't an issue. I think that's the most common approach in most if not all bi-bi schools: ASL is the primary language for all and the majority doesn't use spoken language. Voices off isn't a negative thing, though -- immersion in ASL is a large part of why we have our daughter enrolled there.

My son's school insisted that anyone in the building comply with the voice off environment. I, personally, found that a bonus. It is the only place most of these kids have their needs placed above the rest of society's needs. And, it gives hearing people visiting the school a big wake-up as to the situation deaf people encounter on a daily basis, only in reverse.

now I know my free choice of a class is not coming from the same focus as a child's school but for me, this is what I really liked about the class I took at the deaf center - voice-off. Technically it was only the class that was supposed to be that way but I stopped voicing <easy for me - not because my ASL is good, but speech can be more difficult for me and I'm naturally much more visual> when I walked in the door of the building.
it's much easier for me to learn that way and I was able to utilize my stronger skill.

I agree with that requirement at the schools; I think it's important for people to try to get a "re-framing" of things sometimes.

My son's school insisted that anyone in the building comply with the voice off environment. I, personally, found that a bonus. It is the only place most of these kids have their needs placed above the rest of society's needs. And, it gives hearing people visiting the school a big wake-up as to the situation deaf people encounter on a daily basis, only in reverse.

Bingo.

At one school where I taught that was Bi-Bi, voicing during instruction was strictly forbidden. At the current school where I worked, it's frowned upon and if I do voice, I better be ready to explain my reasons. They strongly advocate 'voice-off' campus-wide. Many kids do come in from the public schools and are not fluent in ASL; some have expressed frustration with wanting to hear someone speak and sign, but mostly speak. Many of the kids end up learning ASL and engage in the 'voice-off' concept...some quit and end up back in the public school environment. As a teacher, it's really a delicate subject as my view is that my students' needs come first, not some school policy. I use primarily ASL in the classroom, but a couple of classes I had last year were mostly of kids who used spoken English with some signs - some specifically asked (actually begged) me to voice, especially when I'm discussing vocabulary words. It's hard because I'm deaf and I'm not sure how other deaf teachers feel because they don't have the option of voicing words...plus I'm not comfortable speaking. So I ended up having the speech teacher joining me two or three days a week for about 30 minutes in a collaborative teaching effort...and it worked out beautifully. I kept the instruction in ASL/written English (bi-bi style) while she provided support for spoken English.

At one school where I taught that was Bi-Bi, voicing during instruction was strictly forbidden. At the current school where I worked, it's frowned upon and if I do voice, I better be ready to explain my reasons. They strongly advocate 'voice-off' campus-wide. Many kids do come in from the public schools and are not fluent in ASL; some have expressed frustration with wanting to hear someone speak and sign, but mostly speak. Many of the kids end up learning ASL and engage in the 'voice-off' concept...some quit and end up back in the public school environment. As a teacher, it's really a delicate subject as my view is that my students' needs come first, not some school policy. I use primarily ASL in the classroom, but a couple of classes I had last year were mostly of kids who used spoken English with some signs - some specifically asked (actually begged) me to voice, especially when I'm discussing vocabulary words. It's hard because I'm deaf and I'm not sure how other deaf teachers feel because they don't have the option of voicing words...plus I'm not comfortable speaking. So I ended up having the speech teacher joining me two or three days a week for about 30 minutes in a collaborative teaching effort...and it worked out beautifully. I kept the instruction in ASL/written English (bi-bi style) while she provided support for spoken English.

See there. There is always a solution without compromising basic philosophy.

I like that! That is how a bi bi education should work.
It definitly needs to respect ASL as a mode. But it ALSO needs to encourage hoh skills such as spoken language etc.
The spoken language equalivent would be a bilingal class that keeps and maintains say Spanish, while striving for fluency in English, rather then treating English as the dominent language, with Spanish skills/abilty not being of much use.

Are there many DEAF skinheads in the United States? Would they be welcomed in the "Deaf community
"?
I recall from my membership in VampireFreaks.com there were a "few" in the United Kingdom- so they claimed. They had a group in V F which I joined-till "banned". The discussions-whether parents had the "right" to teach "their children - their religion"? Their claims to "free speech" for children age 5 years old vs the parents- seems a bit "obtuse" to say the least!

Reality test: how many 5 years old can study theology?

Last edited:
WKA898< I am aware that VampireFreaks.com has almost about 2 million members. Exact numbers keep changing. I believe there was about 600,00 when I joined way back then.
I joined way back in 2006-Kimveer Gill the Montreal shooter was a member then and described a great deal of what was going to happen. A lot of unwanted publicity for Jet, the owner.

Whether the persons in the U K are/were actually real Skinheads/White Power can't be proven by me. I am aware of the massive degree of "computer fakery".
They were commenting on my description of the process of getting my Cochlear Implant-then. i described in some detail the entire process. "They" commented- I mentioned above got "banned" from their "group" which they can do.
As for your various description -subsets et al possible-not much interest to me as I am NOT"gothic" or any other of your listed "genres".

Would DEAF skinheads be welcomed in the local Deaf community-USA/Canada?

Back