Audism Free America

Well, if you don't consider speech beneficial whatsoever, then it doesn't seem like there would be much point in giving your child access to speech therapy whatsoever.

However, just because you see it as being at least somewhat beneficial doesn't necessarily mean that you think it's so beneficial that you would push it onto them no matter what the costs.

As an equivalent, I might think that quadrilingualism would be beneficial to my child, but that doesn't mean if they're not getting it and are struggling, that I think it would be so beneficial as to pursue that even if they're not "getting it".

Go back and read my post again, but more slowly this time.

Is it audism to feel that it's beneficial for a deaf person to be able to speak? Not through force, and not rejecting ASL and the Deaf Culture, but say you have a child who is deaf, signs, and is involved in the culture, but is able (and willing) to speak. Is that considered audism?

To me, no. If they oppress their kids to be "prefect", then that is a problem.

OK now your making my brain hurt..lol

I have a problem personally with some of the things i am seeing on this thread. I am profoundly deaf, nothing coming in, cant hear my own voice.
I am tortured daily with memory recall. That's when your Brain that was used to hearing all the time, then finds itself geting nothing coming in, starts to recall voices , tv, radio stations along with the DJ's, dog barking, screaming the famous "whoooooshing" and so much more. Now I lost my hearing 7 yrs ago, almost 8. I speak perfectly. I had statrted to learn ASL when an incident occured resulting in me having a Traumatic Brain Injury. Still stone deaf, HA's no help. NOTHING. Now I am saying I am as deaf or more deaf then some of you, yet you would prefer I not speak. Don't deny it please. I have even been told by several deaf ppl that I am not really deaf, ??? are you kidding me? Please remember that to want to eliminate audism means turning your back on your own kind, ppl like me. Remember there are all kinds of and levels of deafness. So if I refuse to stop speaking ..does that mean you would prefer I not say that I am deaf and I am immediately throwninto the evil wicked speaking pile. Laughing, come on. If I had a child who wanted to speak, I would hel/p them any way I could, if they then felt it was too much, they could stop. My first concern would be for the happiness of my child not telling them if they start to speak they are somehow betraying the deaf community... Geez A Loo...
I am amazed and a bit disappointed to hear because I speak, I am not as deaf as YOU! Audism..is not a "four letter word"....Midnight♥♥♥

I'm not talking about forcing a kid to go through hours upon hours of speech therapy. If they don't like it, they don't do it, that simple. However, I do think that if a deaf child were both able and willing to speak, it would benefit them to have that other channel of communication, just as I believe a hearing child that's bilingual would benefit from that extra way of communicating. If a kid doesn't want to do something, though, I don't see the need to force them. It only breeds resentment.

I'm not talking about forcing a kid to go through hours upon hours of speech therapy. If they don't like it, they don't do it, that simple.

Hm.... Many, many of us as children didn't get a choice. Either do it, or get punished. No way was it as easy as you make it out to be. Let me guess, are you hearing?

What is Audism?

Similar to Sexism, Racism, and so on. It means hearing people are superior to people with hearing loss. Attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of hearing roles. Discrimination or devaluation based on a person's loss of hearing, as in restricted job opportunities; especially, such discrimination directed against people with loss of hearing.

Also, it bothers me that "anti-deafness" people use a censored word like a-wordism, awdism, avdism, and etc. Same with avdist, awdist, and etc. It happens on Facebook.

Sighs. :roll:

Last edited:
Hm.... Many, many of us as children didn't get a choice. Either do it, or get punished. No way was it as easy as you make it out to be. Let me guess, are you hearing?

Yes, I am. I'm saying my personal philosophy is that if I have a child who objects strongly to doing something that isn't necessary then I don't see the point in forcing them. I do understand that other people were forced into it, and that sounds like it sucks, but I was talking about myself. My mom was the kind of person that said to try something a couple times to see if you like it. If I didn't like a class or something after going two or three times, then I didn't have to go.

I would definitely give my deaf child an opportunity to try learning speech - but if it's really obvious my kid would not speak it well and is really hating it, I wouldn't push it.

I mean, if my kid has enough hearing that they can learn to speak it well and be clearly understood, of course I would encourage it but if my kid has profound hearing loss and would not be able to hear it well enough to speak it well, then what's the point? They would only be mocked and considered mentally slow based on their speech alone and that's far more detrimental than not speaking at all.

I am profoundly deaf but if I hadn't received up to 4 hours of speech therapy a day, 7 days a week, for 10 years and that is not including being constantly corrected daily by my parents, my 3 sisters and my brother, I probably would not be speaking as clearly as I do now but I wouldn't recommend it anyone. And I would never put my kid through what I went through. Ever.

I can't believe it, this is Exactly the same for me, same numbers of sibliings and same sort of endurance I went through too, AND i agree I wouldnt want to put them through it too, it is Exhausting, soul draining, social-killng, senseless aim, and it is just too much, its not like learning to use wheel chair and use it all the time, you get used to it quicker (if not quickly) but for oralism the torture of listening, speaking, learning the complex hearing language and the hard-wiring of it, makes it extremely difficult to adjust one-self to Deaf ways and sign, but lucky for me i had early exposure and i remembered it well and longed for soo long to get back into it, it was fun it was real, and it was Natural, so i was able to be Deaf. im not sure if DC had early deaf unit schooling that would provide 'sign-memory' which helps to move back to Deaf world, but i wouldnt be surprised if she did.

I'd say this now, that NOT EVER would I put my child through this ever, its like signing them up to be slaves for the hearing to learn speech when we clearly knows its the asking for the impossible like asking the kid to pretend to be hearing. Goodness me! its just So wrong.

I would definitely give my deaf child an opportunity to try learning speech - but if it's really obvious my kid would not speak it well and is really hating it, I wouldn't push it.

I mean, if my kid has enough hearing that they can learn to speak it well and be clearly understood, of course I would encourage it but if my kid has profound hearing loss and would not be able to hear it well enough to speak it well, then what's the point? They would only be mocked and considered mentally slow based on their speech alone and that's far more detrimental than not speaking at all.

I agree 100% with this.

I'm not talking about forcing a kid to go through hours upon hours of speech therapy. If they don't like it, they don't do it, that simple. However, I do think that if a deaf child were both able and willing to speak, it would benefit them to have that other channel of communication, just as I believe a hearing child that's bilingual would benefit from that extra way of communicating. If a kid doesn't want to do something, though, I don't see the need to force them. It only breeds resentment.
Exactly. It is possible for kids to learn fluent oral abilty at Deaf (sign using) schools.

I am profoundly deaf but if I hadn't received up to 4 hours of speech therapy a day, 7 days a week, for 10 years and that is not including being constantly corrected daily by my parents, my 3 sisters and my brother, I probably would not be speaking as clearly as I do now but I wouldn't recommend it anyone. And I would never put my kid through what I went through. Ever.

I can't believe it, this is Exactly the same for me, same numbers of sibliings and same sort of endurance I went through too, AND i agree I wouldnt want to put them through it too, it is Exhausting, soul draining, social-killng, senseless aim, and it is just too much, its not like learning to use wheel chair and use it all the time, you get used to it quicker (if not quickly) but for oralism the torture of listening, speaking, learning the complex hearing language and the hard-wiring of it, makes it extremely difficult to adjust one-self to Deaf ways and sign, but lucky for me i had early exposure and i remembered it well and longed for soo long to get back into it, it was fun it was real, and it was Natural, so i was able to be Deaf. im not sure if DC had early deaf unit schooling that would provide 'sign-memory' which helps to move back to Deaf world, but i wouldnt be surprised if she did.

Still I just can't believe DC wrote this. I would say this now, Not Ever would i put my child through this too, for it is asking the impossible, asking the deaf to selling their soul in order to pretend to be hearing. It is So wrong!

Still I just can't believe DC wrote this. I would say this now, Not Ever would i put my child through this too, for it is asking the impossible, asking the deaf to selling their soul in order to pretend to be hearing. It is So wrong!

early deaf unit? What's that? I've been raised oral 100%.

im not sure if DC had early deaf unit schooling that would provide 'sign-memory' which helps to move back to Deaf world, but i wouldnt be surprised if she did.
I don't think she did. From what she said, she was basicly Auditory Verbal-ly educated without the auditory verbal therapy.
DC, a Deaf Unit is a regional dhh program. Here in the states, some states have regional dhh programs and or preschools.

I feel stupid but what is dhh? and what's the difference between auditory verbally educated and auditory verbal therapy? My first year of speech therapy was at the children's hospital where the program originated but it was always just me, my mother and the speech therapist. I never went to preschool.

I feel stupid but what is dhh? and what's the difference between auditory verbally educated and auditory verbal therapy? My first year of speech therapy was at the children's hospital where the program originated but it was always just me, my mother and the speech therapist. I never went to preschool.

dhh = deaf/hard of hearing, iirc

Caroline, dhh is Deaf/Hard of Hearing.

I can't answer your second question -- I don't know either!

Is it audism to feel that it's beneficial for a deaf person to be able to speak? Not through force, and not rejecting ASL and the Deaf Culture, but say you have a child who is deaf, signs, and is involved in the culture, but is able (and willing) to speak. Is that considered audism?

That would depend. I don't think there are many that say that speech skills are not useful. Do you think that because that child can speak, she/he has an advantage over those who don't speak? If so, then that is an audist belief.

Back