Audism Free America

Many compalint argue to seems, netural prove your serious! reason how do you know serious aware I don't believe it,earth of worlds is very audism not person

if suppose you think blamed or complaint you don't believe worlds the audism!

Thats what i was getting at, why it is America, America, America. They aren't the only country on the bloody planet. Part of it is the education system that indoctrinates. (im serious here!) but anyway, not getting upset, just a note to say its fine to think AFA, which seems to be a almost-direct copy of ADA, afterall experiementing is fine, but in real world, it'd be never like that. Hell, theres probably already an AFA but it would stand for something else...
Sorry Joey, but I can see your points, and its good to know you're getting aware of audism, but AFA is too nation-centred not Deaf-centred for Deaf means all Deaf all around the world!.
Nice idea, but not nice enough to ignore other Deafs around the world, that's all. Just a freindly opinion here, im not disagreeing with you, im just disagreeing with the 'just for america' concepts. America isn't the free-est country in the world like they'd like you to believe, it's a big lie, trust me on that one.

I see where you are coming from, and understand what you are saying because I tend to see things in a more global sense, too. I think that is the result of our areas of study. Most people, however, still focus on their own nation first. It is to be expected.

I don't live in the United States of America. I reside in Toronto Ontario Canada. Never read/heard of AFA here in Canada-yet.

Is AFA a "construction of cultural deaf values" from "deaf militants?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I don't live in the United States of America. I reside in Toronto Ontario Canada. Never read/heard of AFA here in Canada-yet.

Is AFA a "construction of cultural deaf values" from "deaf militants?

No... and no.

AFA is meant to help various people with hearing loss when they are in need. Some bosses denied their rights for some reasons, deaf people come to AFA for the solution.

Sometimes, they took their newborn kids from deaf parents at hospital and parents fight back to get their kids back.

Sometimes, they don't allow deaf people to live in some places and they have no place.

Go on and go on... But NO ONE, I mean, NO ONE should deny anyone. That is what AFA is for!

They can take children from deaf parents? Anytime they want?

No. Not what I mean. It is uncommon happening, actually. But sometimes, they take their babies because some doctors and nurses are ignorant and don't understand. They take their babies because they thought people with hearing loss are incapable to be parents. =/

It does happen, sadly.

Ah, I guess I don't explain it well. :lol:

Okay, they don't steal, really. They just have a right to take their babies if they find out that parents don't bring their baby car seats unless those parents have to buy one. They can take their babies if they find out parents are not fit enough for being 'good' parents. They have their reasons for keep babies at hospital until further notice. But too bad, doctors and/or nurses take their babies for wrong reasons, somtimes... :(

Last edited:
hey, don't blame me for AFA. I never own AFA.

hey, relax its cool what you trying to do/say..im just pointing out that Deafness is a worldwide issue that's all, But hey have you seen the film "dancing to the music'? its about the beginning of ADA, the guy went deaf literally and regained some but still have the torment of tinnitus (like i do), he befreinded a short guy who uses the wheelchair (i think), it is a brillient film, you should see it!

AFA got a nice ring to it for Audism Free America is good but not gonna happen this soon , not even by a long shot, I really wish it would too! hell, Assholes Free America is even harder to achieve too LMAO

Relax its a good question you made for the thread kodos to you Cheers

Is it audism to feel that it's beneficial for a deaf person to be able to speak? Not through force, and not rejecting ASL and the Deaf Culture, but say you have a child who is deaf, signs, and is involved in the culture, but is able (and willing) to speak. Is that considered audism?

As for the discussion re "audism" contingent on the actual social world one lives in. If NOT speaking is okay-one's choice. Savour the "quiet Trappist solution".

Is it audist to believe it's beneficial for a deaf child to speak? Yeah, kinda.

Just wondering, would you even bother giving an opportunity to give your hypothetical deaf child speech therapy?

If you believe it's not beneficial at all, then why bother? Do you see what I mean?

If they want to speak, then so be it, right? No need to do anything about it.

Just wondering, would you even bother giving an opportunity to give your hypothetical deaf child speech therapy?

If you believe it's not beneficial at all, then why bother? Do you see what I mean?

If they want to speak, then so be it, right? No need to do anything about it.

I would definitely give my deaf child an opportunity to try learning speech - but if it's really obvious my kid would not speak it well and is really hating it, I wouldn't push it.

I mean, if my kid has enough hearing that they can learn to speak it well and be clearly understood, of course I would encourage it but if my kid has profound hearing loss and would not be able to hear it well enough to speak it well, then what's the point? They would only be mocked and considered mentally slow based on their speech alone and that's far more detrimental than not speaking at all.

I am profoundly deaf but if I hadn't received up to 4 hours of speech therapy a day, 7 days a week, for 10 years and that is not including being constantly corrected daily by my parents, my 3 sisters and my brother, I probably would not be speaking as clearly as I do now but I wouldn't recommend it anyone. And I would never put my kid through what I went through. Ever.

I would definitely give my deaf child an opportunity to try learning speech - but if it's really obvious my kid would not speak it well and is really hating it, I wouldn't push it.

I mean, if my kid has enough hearing that they can learn to speak it well and be clearly understood, of course I would encourage it but if my kid has profound hearing loss and would not be able to hear it well enough to speak it well, then what's the point? They would only be mocked and considered mentally slow based on their speech alone and that's far more detrimental than not speaking at all.

I am profoundly deaf but if I hadn't received up to 4 hours of speech therapy a day, 7 days a week, for 10 years and that is not including being constantly corrected daily by my parents, my 3 sisters and my brother, I probably would not be speaking as clearly as I do now but I wouldn't recommend it anyone. And I would never put my kid through what I went through. Ever.

So, you'd consider it beneficial, just not necessarily to the degree that it outweighs all costs whatsoever?

Deaf Caroline, I could have written the same you just did about all that intensive therapy! Been there, done that too. The hearies who didnt experience this or don't have children who are learning to speak do not understand how painstaking it was.

Well, if you don't consider speech beneficial whatsoever, then it doesn't seem like there would be much point in giving your child access to speech therapy whatsoever.

However, just because you see it as being at least somewhat beneficial doesn't necessarily mean that you think it's so beneficial that you would push it onto them no matter what the costs.

As an equivalent, I might think that quadrilingualism would be beneficial to my child, but that doesn't mean if they're not getting it and are struggling, that I think it would be so beneficial as to pursue that even if they're not "getting it".

Back