Audism examples

It could work. A collection of stories from many people. And the way to find a publisher is not so hard. Look at Harris Communications to see who publishes books of a similar type. Then contact those publishers with your idea.

hey....let me know how you guys do with that...I would love to be on board!!!!

This came from a movie....if anyone has seen See No Evil Hear No Evil: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW6llgMkwpA]YouTube - see no evil hear no evil funny scene[/ame] SO FUNNY!!!!! That's the sign of Audism...just because we are Deaf or HOH doesn't mean you have to talk like an idiot!

About that movie, people have talk to me like that before. They weren't trying to be dramatic about it either. You would think "Only in movies, people do that". people really do that.

About my video, I forgot to find one that has caption and thanks to an AD user for reminding me, I’m going to caption what was going on in this scene. The actors in the movie Richard Pryor (RP) and Gene Wilder (GW) are being brought in for a witness to a crime. To get an answer out of them is rather difficult for the Detective (DT)
questioning them because RP is Blind and GW is deaf. So here goes:

(Detective walks in and pushes RP’s feet off the table)
RP: Oooh!
DT: Aight, Now we're gonna quit fucking around here
and start talking serious. Was there a woman present?
RP: *stares*
DT: Was there a woman present?
RP: Oh, I’m sorry. Are you talking to me?
DT: You bet your ass I'm talking to you! Was there or wasn't there?
RP: Was there or wasn’t there what?
DT: A WOMAN PRESENT???!!!
RP: I smelled a woman but I didn’t SEE a woman.
DT: What about you, wiseass? Was or wasn’t there a woman?
GW: *sits*
DT: What the hell do I have to do,take you to a private room and ask you?
RP: He’s Deaf. You have to be facing him.
DT: No more BS!! Was there or wasn’t there a woman?
GW: ARE YOU SERIOUS?
DT: Yes, I’m goddamn serious.
GW: Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?
DT: What the hell is he talking about?
RP: He reads lips. You're talking too fast.
DT: Was….there….a…..womaaaaan….present???
GW: Yes,…..there….was…..a…..woman….present.
DT: Why is he talking like that?
RP: Because…..he’s……Deaf…..not….stuuuuuuupiiiiiid.

THAT’S REALLY ALL THAT I WANTED YA’LL TO SEE….You should get the movie….it’s really funny!

Is this Audism? When hearing people have their own rules of manners and politeness.. and often tell other hearing people "That's rude", "that impolite", etc. (like talking on the phone in the middle of a conversation OR whisper to someone's ear in front of people but never tell them why they are whispering) But when we think something is rude or impolite, they tell us we are wrong?

I was thinking Silent club, and how hearing people prefer to talk but when deaf people tell them it's rude, they tell them that they don't want to sign because what they are talking about is none of their business. It is as if we are not allowed to make our own guideline of what's rude and what isn't. But they are.

About my video, I forgot to find one that has caption and thanks to an AD user for reminding me, I’m going to caption what was going on in this scene. The actors in the movie Richard Pryor (RP) and Gene Wilder (GW) are being brought in for a witness to a crime. To get an answer out of them is rather difficult for the Detective (DT)
questioning them because RP is Blind and GW is deaf. So here goes:

(Detective walks in and pushes RP’s feet off the table)
RP: Oooh!
DT: Aight, Now we're gonna quit fucking around here
and start talking serious. Was there a woman present?
RP: Oh, I’m sorry. Are you talking to me?
DT: You bet your ass I'm talking to you! Was there or wasn't there?
RP: Was there or wasn’t there what?
DT: A WOMAN PRESENT???!!!
RP: I smelled a woman but I didn’t SEE a woman.
DT: What about you, wiseass? Was or wasn’t there a woman?
GW: *sits*
DT: What the hell do I have to do,take you to a private room and ask you?
RP: He’s Deaf. You have to be facing him.
DT: No more BS!! Was there or wasn’t there a woman?
GW: ARE YOU SERIOUS?
DT: Yes, I’m goddamn serious.
GW: Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?
DT: What the hell is he talking about?
RP: He reads lips. You're talking too fast.
DT: Was….there….a…..womaaaaan….present???
GW: Yes,…..there….was…..a…..woman….present.
DT: Why is he talking like that?
RP: Because…..he’s……Deaf…..not….stuuuuuuupiiiiiid.

THAT’S REALLY ALL THAT I WANTED YA’LL TO SEE….You should get the movie….it’s really funny!

I saw the movie a long time ago. Quite the classic.

Yup - ya just gotta love 'em, when they say - "Oh! I'm sorry to hear that!", when ya tell 'em you're hearing impairment is caused by a birth defect. "NOT"!

I mean - what do they have to be - "SORRY", about? DId they give my dad bad seed, go into my mothers womb and turn the ear bone? Pray to God that I would have a birth defect?

I doubt it, very seriously!

-charles

Is this Audism? When hearing people have their own rules of manners and politeness.. and often tell other hearing people "That's rude", "that impolite", etc. (like talking on the phone in the middle of a conversation OR whisper to someone's ear in front of people but never tell them why they are whispering) But when we think something is rude or impolite, they tell us we are wrong?

I was thinking Silent club, and how hearing people prefer to talk but when deaf people tell them it's rude, they tell them that they don't want to sign because what they are talking about is none of their business. It is as if we are not allowed to make our own guideline of what's rude and what isn't. But they are.

Yes, very much Audism. Who is the hearing people tell us wrong all the time? They think they know better than we are. We are not stupid. If it is rude or impolite, we insist telling them that the hearing people are wrong for doing this. We sense this because that feeling of being left out is if we let them talk in the Silent Club and let them get away with talking. They think they have the power to tell us what to do like children and we are not children. That is what irk me. :mad: If the hearing people does not understand deaf perspective, then they have no right to come to the Silent Club for they have no respect. :mad:

Yes, very much Audism. Who is the hearing people tell us wrong all the time? They think they know better than we are. We are not stupid. If it is rude or impolite, we insist telling them that the hearing people are wrong for doing this. We sense this because that feeling of being left out is if we let them talk in the Silent Club and let them get away with talking. They think they have the power to tell us what to do like children and we are not children. That is what irk me. :mad: If the hearing people does not understand deaf perspective, then they have no right to come to the Silent Club for they have no respect. :mad:

I wonder how many say they are sorry instead of getting an argument with deaf about it? What I've observed that hearing people often say they are sorry to other hearing when they realized they forgotten their manners. Even I say I'm sorry when I forgotten mine.

some people need to realize it is just is even if they don't understand.

.... I was also afraid that I wouldn't be able to learn sign language from a teacher who was deaf. (How would we start?!) BUT our teacher was amazing! And we learned!

He made sure we learned about deaf culture as well. We had a ton of questions! I asked why some deaf people speak and some do not. His answer was simple - Why would a deaf person need to speak? They can't hear themselves! *Smack!* Well, duh! Of course! They DON'T!

Speaking is a concession some deafies make to the hearing world. One we hearies fail to return, too - by using facial expression, eye contact, etc. I felt ashamed of myself for my own audistic prejudice.

I promise to do my part to break audism.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post or reading too much into it, but I took a little offense at the bolded part.

I do wear hearing aids. So, I can hear myself speak. Maybe nowhere near as well as hearing people can hear themselves speak, but still ... some of us can. Not all of us deaf people should be tarred with the same brush.

I don't need to speak. I choose to. I use my speech as a tool, just like I do with my hearing aids, others with their CIs, and others still (including myself) with ASL.

Just my 2 cents - not intending to start an argument, but just to voice my own opinion on the above statements. :)

Hmmmm

I was reading all this and I was thinking to myself: "Was I unknowingly being an Audismist (if there is such a word) when we all were at the the restaurant for the AllDeaf meet up in January?" I knew that the waiters did not understand you all and I stepped in trying to help the best I could. If I did I sincerely apologize. I only meant to help.

....Taxi companies, which generally require phone use...

(note: I was going to add Canadian hookers to this, because it's an outcall industry, but you're looking for stuff youth might identify with, which I take to mean teenagers, so I won't bother with that. :lol:)

AlleyCat, please understand that I did not say those things. My profoundly deaf teacher did! :D

And, please also noticed that this was my VERY FIRST experience with deaf people. I had a lot of questions and misunderstandings about the deaf. I did ask why SOME (not all) deaf people chose to speak and some do not.

I hope, with all my heart, that I have not painted all deaf with the same brush. Please understand that, as a hearing person, I am seeking to improve relationships between the deaf and hearing worlds. I want to do my part to stop audism. This is going to require MUCH MORE LEARNING on my part. But, I am willing! That's at least a place to start. (Isn't it?) :ty:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post or reading too much into it, but I took a little offense at the bolded part.

I do wear hearing aids. So, I can hear myself speak. Maybe nowhere near as well as hearing people can hear themselves speak, but still ... some of us can. Not all of us deaf people should be tarred with the same brush.

I don't need to speak. I choose to. I use my speech as a tool, just like I do with my hearing aids, others with their CIs, and others still (including myself) with ASL.

Just my 2 cents - not intending to start an argument, but just to voice my own opinion on the above statements. :)

Moni, your professor is right. We don't always hear ourselves speak. I certainly can't without my HA/CI, and with them, I can't hear every sounds I make. It take hearing tools and alot of speech therapy to get where we are. some are successful and some aren't. it depends on thier level of hearing, how early they had their hearing aids, and how determined their parents are to make sure they use speech. Some can learn it without a problem, and others need alot of work. Some are just not interested anymore because of audism attitude (and finding out after all their hard work to fit in hearing world, it didn't help them find jobs, so they join the deaf world to fit in socializing wise and sometime help them find jobs too because it is just too isolating in the hearing world). Everyone have different reasons why they use or do not use speech.

Moni, your professor is right. We don't always hear ourselves speak. I certainly can't without my HA/CI, and with them, I can't hear every sounds I make. It take hearing tools and alot of speech therapy to get where we are. some are successful and some aren't. it depends on thier level of hearing, how early they had their hearing aids, and how determined their parents are to make sure they use speech. Some can learn it without a problem, and others need alot of work. Some are just not interested anymore because of audism attitude (and finding out after all their hard work to fit in hearing world, it didn't help them find jobs, so they join the deaf world to fit in socializing wise and sometime help them find jobs too because it is just too isolating in the hearing world). Everyone have different reasons why they use or do not use speech.

:gpost: :gpost: I agree with you on that.

I agree with Alley Cat. I too am hard of hearing but I speak and why....because prior to me being HOH before I turned 4, I was a speaking babbling baby and basically my parents wanted me to work on my speech and then learn sign if I so CHOOSE to do....which I did years later. But yeah, not EVERYONE feels that they don't NEED to speak.

AlleyCat, please understand that I did not say those things. My profoundly deaf teacher did! :D

And, please also noticed that this was my VERY FIRST experience with deaf people. I had a lot of questions and misunderstandings about the deaf. I did ask why SOME (not all) deaf people chose to speak and some do not.

I hope, with all my heart, that I have not painted all deaf with the same brush. Please understand that, as a hearing person, I am seeking to improve relationships between the deaf and hearing worlds. I want to do my part to stop audism. This is going to require MUCH MORE LEARNING on my part. But, I am willing! That's at least a place to start. (Isn't it?) :ty:

Gotcha...I had posted a comment then I read on to what you said.

Back