Attention Whores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, sure we all have our bad days and needed someone to talk to. There's nothing wrong with it and it is healthy. It's great to count on friends that can give you support but sometime, friends can't just bear with it when it is recanted repetitively.
unless that, one you feel is destroying your life. otherwise, you're complaining too.. because, why would s/he keep coming up to you?

part of you allowed it. fed the 'attention whores'. as relationship always goes two ways no matter what.

I think we're all a little guilty of being attention seekers now and then, but when it becomes pathological; thats when you just gotta ignore the person. Like Shel said, some people just need serious help and I agree!

Agreed. This is symptomatic of a personality disorder.

I'm an attention whore.

Looks like I'm despited here. Oh I only post to get attention.

What is a forum made for? Attentions?

How do you feel about attention whores?

What are attention whores?

Here's a definition...

Someone who craves attention and is not above soliciting it via deliberately meaningless or provocative tactics.

I think they're annoying.

I've seen many attention whores.

Years ago, someone IMed me out of the blue and said... "I cut myself. Do you think something's wrong with me?"

Another person was a Bible-thumper preaching to everyone and so obsessed with the thought that she was closer to God than everything else. One day, she started bragging about how God told her to buy an expensive diamond necklace (or jewelry of some sort)."

One gal would complain about being sick, but refused to admit that it was her own fault for being sick.

One gal went around complaining to everyone that her teachers hated her and were out to get her. Her proof was that her teachers were flunking her... even though she was making A's on her homework and tests. What she failed to mention was that she was skipping class all the time.

So, what do you think about attention whores?

Vampy, I am curious -- where did you learn all that ? Did you take a psychology class ? :lol:

I see it all the time, seems people do ridiculous things, sometimes repeatedly (like walking by at a fast pace while stomping, fake coughing, being loud all of a sudden, etc) just to shore up their confidence at other's expense. We sane people are not confidence dispensers, they need to grow up and find ways to get it within themselves.

Clapping.....

I work with a male attention whore and I'm hoping that they'll get rid of him soon. Guy made a veiled threat towards the lead and I had to report him.

I hate attention whores. I don't want to hear about your bad day if my day is equally crappy.

Thank you so much..men do it just as much if not more than the women I know...Hey keep the gloom to yourself please..I am trying to stay positive here..OK? (reporting that guy took guts..clapping)....MINX

Laughing

I am trying to just go to work and do a good job and collect my paycheck. That works best for me. I have enough drama with 3 courses and a 3 hour lab each week on top of a 3rd shift job.

Some of my friends take it personally and complain that I'm ignoring them. Trust me, there's a lot of other things I can't do because my schedule is always full, such as play video games and jerk off like other normal lonely males. *sigh*

(no, I'm not attention-whoring here. Just giving an example of how busy I am. :))

I am glad you indicated you were giving an example..'cause for a minute there...lol..joking Brad..I respect the attitude..Minx

You know all joking aside..what you are describing can be a serious illness Munchausen Syndrome is a mental illness where people can not stop hurting themselves to get attention can lead to death..like crying wolf to often ..people just get tired of it...even the hospitals they often end up in..and the VERY worse is Munchausen by Proxy..thats when a parent does things to cause injury to their own children, so the kid always appears to be getting hurt or sick (poor mom or dad, get it?) again..can lead to death.

I'm an attention whore.

Looks like I'm despited here. Oh I only post to get attention.

What is a forum made for? Attentions?

Damn. I was going to say "If you want to interact with a real live attention whore, see imdeafsowhat." But you beat me.

no such true friend would think that way. being in an understanding crowd makes a big difference - no one have to have a degree for that.

mostly, I hate ignorant complainers. :ugh:

I don't mind listening to people every once in a while but every single day? I just can't do it. Also, as much as I'd like to brighten up someone's day, they have to make the effort to do it themselves. This means changing their perception of things, trying breathing exercises or meditation and basically unlearning the things that cause them to be negative in the first place.

I used to be a "woe is me" type but I don't do that anymore.

You know all joking aside..what you are describing can be a serious illness Munchausen Syndrome is a mental illness where people can not stop hurting themselves to get attention can lead to death..like crying wolf to often ..people just get tired of it...even the hospitals they often end up in..and the VERY worse is Munchausen by Proxy..thats when a parent does things to cause injury to their own children, so the kid always appears to be getting hurt or sick (poor mom or dad, get it?) again..can lead to death.

Ummmm.....that is a different topic altogether. Munchausen's victims have quite a bit more going on than just needing to be the center of attention. What Vampy described is in no way related to Munchausen's.

Munchausen's victims don't cry wolf. They actually create an illness in themselves.

Ummmm.....that is a different topic altogether. Munchausen's victims have quite a bit more going on than just needing to be the center of attention. What Vampy described is in no way related to Munchausen's.

Munchausen's victims don't cry wolf. They actually create an illness in themselves.

I agree with you.

But, wouldn't you agree they are the biggest attention whores?

Hurting yourself and others to get attention. Would be a major attention whore in my book.

I think their are different degrees of getting someones attention.

I agree with you.

Hurting yourself and others to get attention. Would be a major attention whore in my book.

I see what you are saying, but Muchausen's victims are not seeking any other attention other than what is derived from being in the sick role. It is the sick role that motivates them. You could give them all the attention in the world as a well person, but it still would not satisfy the need they have to be in the sick role. Muchausen's is limited to very specific behaviors, while pathological or excessive attention seeking can be associated with several different disorders. That is the point I was trying to make. :)

I agree with you.

That's not what OP's talking about. Seems like some people are getting confused with exactly what Attention Whores are. What OP's talking about is some incredibly annoying people who take pleasure in talking about their own insignificant misery to other people. This is not a form of medical illness. This is simply just an annoying personality who craves for attention from other people.

I think we're all a little guilty of being attention seekers now and then, but when it becomes pathological; thats when you just gotta ignore the person. Like Shel said, some people just need serious help and I agree!

Good point, I agree! There's such a thing as going overboard. There's this person on my facebook who keeps saying "I'm deeply depressed!!!" on status updates now and then, and then next minute says "I'm very very happy!"

It is very annoying because I see it as being manipulative and a sinkhole of my energies and time. Like, I want my 2 secs back. :P

Cheap attention ho! ;)

That's not what OP's talking about. Seems like some people are getting confused with exactly what Attention Whores are. What OP's talking about is some incredibly annoying people who take pleasure in talking about their own insignificant misery to other people. This is not a form of medical illness. This is simply just an annoying personality who craves for attention from other people.

Ok.

Jillo I have read the above post.

But does the constant attention seeker have some form of mental issues or is this just a behavior issue?

i understand what the OP is saying I am just trying to understand more.

Ok.

Jillo I have read the above post.

But does the constant attention seeker have some form of mental issues or is this just a behavior issue?

i understand what the OP is saying I am just trying to understand more.

There is always a reason for someone who seeks attention all the time. Some have a diagnosable personality disorder; others just have some faulty coping mechanisms.

Good point, I agree! There's such a thing as going overboard. There's this person on my facebook who keeps saying "I'm deeply depressed!!!" on status updates now and then, and then next minute says "I'm very very happy!"

It is very annoying because I see it as being manipulative and a sinkhole of my energies and time. Like, I want my 2 secs back. :P

Cheap attention ho! ;)

Or, someone who is bipolar, perhaps?

Or, someone who is bipolar, perhaps?

I was about to say the same thing, OB.

No offense, Liza but I have personal experience with bipolar and it does sound like the person you're describing might have it.

As for attention whores, I once had a friend who craved attention. Every day without fail she would be crying or complaining about one thing or another. When I suggested that she see a counselor, she brushed off the idea saying she didn't need one. After awhile, I finally had to end our friendship because all of her drama brought me down emotionally. I really tried to be the best friend I could to this person, but it was emotionally exhausting.

I was about to say the same thing, OB.

No offense, Liza but I have personal experience with bipolar and it does sound like the person you're describing might have it.

Ditto.

"I am deeply depressed" to "I'm very, very happy" is an example of classic Bipolar I cycling from a depressive to a manic state. I also have personal experience with bipolar disorder and that jumped right out at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back