ASL, SEE, PSE, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
faire_jour, if I may say... what you supported on the forum and what you have done in real life are two different things. Maybe consider reviewing your posts? I am guilty of that as well, where one thing makes sense in my head, but I don't agree with it in my heart.

Anyway, sorry for spiraling the topic into this manner. I should had just stayed quiet. What the parents choose is not imposing on the deaf. It the educators does and support that is the problem. A lot of parents I know, they know the truth in their own heart, but because they are so unsure of themselves, they trust the professionals.

What on earth have I done that is NOT accepting her? Providing her with ASL from the start? Placing her in a bi-bi school? Making sure we go to every single Deaf event? Paying thosands of dollars to take every ASL class availiable? Continuing ASL after her CI? Making sure that she stays in contact with her Deaf friends all summer? Driving 10 times further, to make sure she can attend a church with other Deaf kids, and the program in ASL?

Tell me how I'm not living up to the "requirements"?

To me, you are living up to those requirements, what's more, you're giving your daughter more...I believe Miss Kat would not appreciate the lack of respect you are receiving from some deaf people on this board, I wouldn't want any deaf judging my parents. No parent is perfect.

I gonna admit that "Big D" as in Deaf can be exceedingly judgmental toward hearing parents, and people of their own kind. You would have to meet their requirements in order to be accepted in their "little world", :roll: For me I do associate myself with the deaf community, not everyone in the deaf community are "Big D"... Most of them do not care how you were raised, educated or what language you start off with or how late you had learned ASL. They would welcome you with an open arm. ;)

I think it's more important to reach out to differences in people than to push people away. That's my opinion. ;)

Mod note:

Evidently, this thread needs to have a cool off period. There is always a choice of language we want to use as method of communication. Lately some discussion has turned otherwise.

As a result, I am going to close this to allow things to cool down.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back