Asl gloss

I don't consider sharing a basic information about yourself (name, where you live, what do you do for living, what college did you graduate from, etc.) as intimate details...

You don't need to tell me how many boyfriends you went thru... or what toy you keep in your drawer... or what your eating routine is... or what your weight is...

it's a social norm as conversation ice breaker (ASL, spoken language, internet, etc) to make a good impression with anybody in order to form a relationship - client, friend, etc. If we don't know anything about you, we most likely won't consider you as our terp for next time. nothing personal but it's how it is. same for an employer - they want a team player, not solo player. Teamwork works better if we know each other's life story.

I disagree my employer values my work not my life history and I never said in intimate relationships I don't share because when I trust someone I do. I've shared plenty with a person from here and I've mentioned that before.

And I am not interested in any way in being an interpreter

Both of my teachers more recently were Deaf - one Deaf of Deaf; one from hearing family - both discussed their family/cultural backgrounds. It was a significant topic the first eve. of class with my teacher who comes from a Deaf family.
Discussing age, social interests, family background, schools, hearing/d/Deaf etc. is very much part of social norms in the Deaf activities I've been to. I would consider it to be an example of a cultural difference and it is expected.

An online forum is not quite the same as actually meeting face to face with people in the community.

And now for something completely different...

Try not to get hung-up on glossing. It's just a notation tool for ASL. It's not something you'll use often in daily signing life...

This just occurred to me. Help me understand if I have the word "glossing" wrong. I thought glossing is ASL sentence structure. Like OSV and all that. If so, what I'm puzzled about is, if it's just a notation that isn't used very often, why are they teaching ASL and not SEE? Why bother with the syntax if I'm not going to use it much?

I understand the importance of spatial cues (past, present, future, on top, under, my sister [point to left] my brother [point to right], palm orientation, hand shape, movement, facial grammar, that sort of thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong Reba, I'm just wondering why bother teaching it if it isn't really used that much.

Unless of course, I'm misunderstaning the word "glossing," which may be entirely true. :Oops:

And now for something completely different...

This just occurred to me. Help me understand if I have the word "glossing" wrong. I thought glossing is ASL sentence structure. Like OSV and all that. If so, what I'm puzzled about is, if it's just a notation that isn't used very often, why are they teaching ASL and not SEE? Why bother with the syntax if I'm not going to use it much?
Glossing does not determine ASL sentence structure. Glossing is simply a way to show in writing the vocabulary and sentence structure of ASL. It's used for creating practice sentences for signing classes only. It's not something you use when communicating in ASL.

In English class we might diagram sentences to show the grammatical structure of the sentence and the function of each word within that structure. You would never speak a sentence in diagram form, right? That's the same for glossing. It's an instructional tool, not a part of real life communication.

You will use ASL syntax and structure. You won't use gloss. ASL is on the hands, and gloss is on paper or the white board.

Unless of course, I'm misunderstaning the word "glossing," which may be entirely true. :Oops:
Maybe this will help:

"Glossing (Quick & Dirty):
Don't let the term "glossing" scare you. It is a very simple process for something you do almost instinctively when you watch someone sign. Basically, "glossing" means "label" or "transcribe".

ASL is an unwritten language. Glossing is a technique (a code, actually) that linguists and educators use to “write” in ASL."

"To gloss an ASL sentence you simply write every sign you see in CAPITAL LETTERS.
ME LIKE CAT.

If what you see is not a sign but a gesture, you write in “lower-case letters” between quote marks.
"come here".

Instructional information, like "fingerspell the next stuff you see", is also written in lower-case letters.
"fs-ALYSSE".

Facial grammar is shown on a line over the top of the word. Here is an example of a wh-questions (your eyebrows -- lowered brows -- should be all "frowny" when you sign this sentence):
YOU NAME “what” whq"
Glossing (Quick & Dirty) Intro

Wow, my ASL 1& 2 professor never taught that way. During a written test, she told us just to write the ASL signs as she signed them at us. She never glossed.

Ex: Please-for-me, dog, take-care?

The commas she accepted as spacers between the differing signs.

I've never heard the term glossing before (I'm in my 4th semester of ASL) but we learned about the different grammar structure. For the first 2 semesters, we were told to write it out word for word, slowly switching in the 2nd to english written. Now if we are taking a sentence test it must be translated completely, not just words for each sign. Now, if we're doing vocab we do the "Let's-see, very nice" deal. But otherwise its part of learning how to switch between the languages I think.

Maybe my fears are right and I don't understand glossing. If I'm expected to sign in ASL, not some other MCE, I'd like to see the sentences written out in the order I'm supposed to sign them. For example: YOU FOR-ME MY DOG WALK? I'm getting the facial expressions, signing space, and other NMMs, just not sure about word order. I guess that's what I'm asking about.

ASL is a visual language, and I guess I learn by the visual of seeing the sentence written out, then signing it as written. After that I believe I will catch on as I go.

Hopefully!

Maybe my fears are right and I don't understand glossing. If I'm expected to sign in ASL, not some other MCE, I'd like to see the sentences written out in the order I'm supposed to sign them. For example: YOU FOR-ME MY DOG WALK? I'm getting the facial expressions, signing space, and other NMMs, just not sure about word order. I guess that's what I'm asking about.
If your instructor explains sign order, and you practice it, then you should get it with time.

Viewing others using correct ASL sign order, and practicing it yourself is much more productive than reading and writing glossed English sentences.

There are a zillion-plus sign combinations that make up ASL conversation. You can't depend on glossed examples to cover every possibility. However, you can (and should) learn the basic principles of sign order.

ASL is a visual language, and I guess I learn by the visual of seeing the sentence written out, then signing it as written. After that I believe I will catch on as I go.
Yes, ASL is a visual language--watching sign formation is a visual activity. Reading and writing English sentences is not using a visual language because printed English is still a symbolic representation of a spoken language. You might see the words YOU FOR-ME DOG WALK but you're going hear the words YOU FOR-ME DOG WALK in your brain instead of seeing the signs those words represent. (Which, I might add, don't represent the signs in totality. How would you sign WALK in that sentence? Think about it.) However, if your instructor or a video model demonstrates the conceptual expression indicated, you will see it.

Maybe it just hasn't "clicked" for you yet. There will come a pah! moment when it does. Don't give up. :)

In my SO's asl classes, all his teachers share their background stories. And share more stories as the classes go on. All the students share why they're taking the classes. And for some, its very important. My SO has been the only one thus far who has a deaf girlfriend he's trying to learn asl for so with that level of closeness, everyone's always asking him questions about us. A real way to gain real life insight, so I'm glad for it. We thought itd be a great idea for him to learn more signs other than from me and give him the opportunity to interact with other deaf or hearing learning signs. He's loving every minute of it.

In my SO's asl classes, all his teachers share their background stories. And share more stories as the classes go on. All the students share why they're taking the classes. And for some, its very important. My SO has been the only one thus far who has a deaf girlfriend he's trying to learn asl for so with that level of closeness, everyone's always asking him questions about us. A real way to gain real life insight, so I'm glad for it. We thought itd be a great idea for him to learn more signs other than from me and give him the opportunity to interact with other deaf or hearing learning signs. He's loving every minute of it.
Cool! :)

Translating ASL Glossing

Try not to get hung-up on glossing. It's just a notation tool for ASL. It's not something you'll use often in daily signing life.

Take a long English sentence and break it into several shorter ASL sentences. Also, use rhetorical questions.

Don't your instructors cover any of this?

**I'm just joining this discussion as I am desperately searching for help with translating english sentences into ASL Gloss**
I'm not sure about others but I am needing to translate into ASL Gloss because we are expected to for my ASL 102 class. It's suddenly all the class and exams are about -- And unfortunately my teacher does not really review this, he gives us sentences to translate, but does not really review the correct answers.
If anyone still sees this post and has suggestions for translating sentences, any information would be very helpful!
Thank you! - a hearie,yes, but trying to learn

I'm still having a little trouble getting the hang of ASL gloss.
I ran across this sentence, and have been confounded since.

SHE RESEARCH A-S-L, SHE HIT FIND RULE ++.

Anyone who can offer any help? I am especially confused by "++."
++ means you repeat the sign to add emphasis.

Back