Asl gloss

MissKatt

Reaction score
I'm still having a little trouble getting the hang of ASL gloss.
I ran across this sentence, and have been confounded since.

SHE RESEARCH A-S-L, SHE HIT FIND RULE ++.

Anyone who can offer any help? I am especially confused by "++."

what is tt? I am not sure I can help you would me question please exactly on ++

It usually means to repeat the sign.

I never heard it images how figure out! I am pretty sound! shocked

"SHE HIT FIND RULE ++"

the ++ just means repeating the last sign before the symbol... in this case it makes rule plural.

Travis,

If you take ASL in college, this is taught differently.

It is difficult to try to explain to you ... I learned this in college and I'm going to try to do it so you can understand.

ASL has locatives and for students to learn, instructors teach using descriptive locatives.

For example I will use this..

Bruise on arm and it s round..

It comes out as BCL because it is descriptive and a locator.

You would not find this on the internet because it is in the Green Book and the ASL series book.

The Green Books are the best. :)

Oh yes!! I swear by them and encourage people to get those if they truly want to learn ASL because they come with CDs.

Oh, wow! I have a very old set of the books without CD's. With CD's that's even better.

My former professors have the old set and the new set.. I compared both and they are still the same. Just only thing is new.. the CDs.

The CDs showcases situations, facial expressions ex Rh, neg/pos, yes/no, locatives and so on.

Personally I prefer the books as the CDs assist with the guidelines in case some students can't put two and two together.

I suspect because I grew up in the Deaf Community, facial gestures was strong to me I knew what was normal and not normal. For the hearing people learning, they need to know what's normal for this and that.. the CDs helps out with this.

For example.. eyebrows up for Who? eyebrowns down for What?! and so on.. pursed lips etc.

I would like to someday get the Green Books w/CD's - the combo of the two would probably be really helpful for me, since I really tend to think in pictures and could use the graphics of the CD's!

To be frank - I disagree of the teachings of ASL with a book written in English. It messes so many people up.

I agree. Learning it from a deaf person/teacher is the BEST way to go :)

To be frank - I disagree of the teachings of ASL with a book written in English. It messes so many people up.
My class is using Signing Naturally Student Workbook and Videotext/DVD. There's no english description of the signs, just pictures. The DVD is a great help (and is also the source of our homework), since some of the pictures are hard to "read".

Edit: Our teacher is a deaf teacher at the school where we're taking the class. Totally voice off (well, for her at least :o).

I agree with learning from a Deaf teacher one-on-one but the DVD's in particular and other supplements could still be useful for me personally

We didn't use the Green Books alone for ASL instruction. They did provide an organized structure for studying ASL.

All my ITP instructors were either deaf or CODA.

My training took place in the prehistoric age before DVD and vlogs. :D

all this computer tech and related is really actually very new in the span of things; it just seems to me that it's "always been". Of course, for the teens and younger I guess it has.

do you ever keep in touch with any of your previous teachers or mentors, Reba?

...do you ever keep in touch with any of your previous teachers or mentors, Reba?
Two are deceased. All the others, over the years, have moved out of state. I correspond with some but not much.

Back