Asl gloss

Why do power point? Shouldn't you be making any presentation in ASL in a beginning class?
I did all levels of ASL and my complete ITP without ever doing one Power Point presentation.

This one has me stymied.

I did all levels of ASL and my complete ITP without ever doing one Power Point presentation.

This one has me stymied.

Well I wish someone would tell me professor about that I hate doing them I hate it

Good practice doing what? Power Points? I thought you were learning ASL.

I don't know how she was raised and we have to sign the powerpoint in front of the class she calls that our practice

I don't know how she was raised and we have to sign the powerpoint in front of the class she calls that our practice
All the instructors I had always told us their backgrounds. We learned about them them personally and also about deaf culture that way. I thought it was SOP for teachers of ASL.

All the instructors I had always told us their backgrounds. We learned about them them personally and also about deaf culture that way. I thought it was SOP for teachers of ASL.

No she doesn't share but it doesn't bother me because that means I dont have to share

Ditto - it certainly is SOP for ASL teachers in Canada !

Reba, I know you know this, but for the other's benefit...

It's absolutely pointless focusing on glossing ASL ... Gloss is simply a way to give beginning ASL students a written way to get a basic idea how to put signs together in the correct order - it is not however a format for writing ASL (major difference)

honestly, I think signwriting is of much more value than glossing (and I'm not a signwriting fan), because at least is doesn't' code switch or reinforce the "this ENGLISH word is equal to the ASL sign" issue that soooo many ASL students get hung up on.

One of the BEST ways to learn how to use ASL sentence structure (I think) is to observe how the signs function to communicate the signer's point. By this I mean - if someone is saying where the keys are, watch how the (fluent,skilled) signer uses the SPACE and signs together to make the statement. While learning (not memorizing) ASL vocabulary is important, it's almost more important to understand how to use the signing space correctly when forming the sign.

It's helpful to thing of signing space as an intrinsic PART of the sign ... a part that changes subtly (or acutely) depending on how the sign is being used much like tenses, plurals etc in English. For example use the English word "walk". "Walk" is the root, then you modify it to "walking","walked","walks" etc. The ASL sign for "WALK" is the root - how you use it in the context of an ASL phrase and in the signing space is how you specify the meaning of walk for that instance.

Watching and understanding how skilled signers use signs and signing space (which is almost a sub-form of ASL grammar) is just as important, if not more important than understanding the actual signs they use. You simply cannot learn how to use signing space by using Gloss - because ASL gloss has no written form to show signing space, sign flow.

Gloss is a bare-bones tool to allow beginning signing students to take their 20-200 ASL vocabulary list and begin forming basic ASL (or ASL-like) sentences using a "match and sign" method which is similar to those toddler puzzles where there's a picture of the animal on the puzzle base, and then there's a cut-out puzzle piece with that same animal that fits into where the animal is on the puzzle base - the toddler matches the "cut-out puzzle piece zebra" with the "puzzle base zebra" and then when they're put together they fit.
Likewise, Gloss works like this, the student: sees a "gloss sentence" with "WALK" & signs the generic sign for "WALK", sees the word "WHERE" & signs the generic sign for "WHERE" ... sees "GO-TO" & signs the generic sign for "GO-TO", sees "STORE" & signs "STORE" etc ... and then put it together to form something like "us-to WALK WHERE? GO-TO STORE"

Gloss is meant to be a temporary, transitional, introductory tool which allows students to start forming basic sentences ... it is NOT however something that is used long term, nor something that is a key component of the ASL learning process.

Hope that helps

Why would you have to share?

well in conversation when people start talking about their personal lives they ask you so how about you and thats the part I am uncomfortable with the how about you

well in conversation when people start talking about their personal lives they ask you so how about you and thats the part I am uncomfortable with the how about you

This may be a problem in deaf interaction since everybody asks you about your family, history, school, what hobbies.

Everybody .

This may be a problem in deaf interaction since everybody asks you about your family, history, school, what hobbies.

Everybody .

Yeah I don't share my personal info I will talk about school and some hobbies I will talk about politics and my opinion but the personal stuff.. no

Instructors make their background an introduction of themselves as part of the course. It's important to establish their street cred and to give the students a feel for the deaf experience. The instructors don't expect the students to chime in unless there are deaf students or CODA/SODA students who want to add something. But normally it's just part of the instructors's introduction.

The only "sharing" I've observed by students is if the instructor asks each student to introduce himself/herself, and tell why he or she wants to learn ASL. It's usually a quick round-the-room activity.

Instructors make their background an introduction of themselves as part of the course. It's important to establish their street cred and to give the students a feel for the deaf experience. The instructors don't expect the students to chime in unless there are deaf students or CODA/SODA students who want to add something. But normally it's just part of the instructors's introduction.

The only "sharing" I've observed by students is if the instructor asks each student to introduce himself/herself, and tell why he or she wants to learn ASL. It's usually a quick round-the-room activity.

Well you should come one down to the good ole boy state sharing is like a damn right of passage every class but my ASL so in my academic career has been tell us about yada yada yada so we will get to know you

Everybody .
Those topics are usually chapters in ASL books. Students normally practice signing to each other in pairs simple stuff like how many sisters/brothers, schools, sports, and what they did over the weekend.

In deaf culture, the school-related questions and any deaf family members are very important.

Those topics are usually chapters in ASL books. Students normally practice signing to each other in pairs simple stuff like how many sisters/brothers, schools, sports, and what they did over the weekend.

In deaf culture, the school-related questions and any deaf family members are very important.

If she is taking ASL, where is she going to use it?

Back