Asl gloss

Those topics are usually chapters in ASL books. Students normally practice signing to each other in pairs simple stuff like how many sisters/brothers, schools, sports, and what they did over the weekend.

In deaf culture, the school-related questions and any deaf family members are very important.

yeah and I refuse to talk about it

Yeah I don't share my personal info I will talk about school and some hobbies I will talk about politics and my opinion but the personal stuff.. no
School, work, hobbies, yes, politics and religion, no, at least not at first meeting. With older people, children and grandchildren are usually included, sometimes physical ailments, too. Younger people usually add sports teams.

It is really deaf etiquette. You really do have to answer those questions.

Thankfully the few deaf people I have talked to have not asked me about my private life we have talked about other things and those that do ask well sadly we probably wont be friends

Thankfully the few deaf people I have talked to have not asked me about my private life we have talked about other things and those that do ask well sadly we probably wont be friends

It's a Deaf social norm to share information like what kind of school you attended (hearing/deaf/ mainstream etc), if anyone in your family is Hoh or Deaf etc ...

I understand that you might not want to share intimate details of your life, however sharing basics (school, any Hoh/Deaf family members, how you got interested in ASL etc) is something that ALL Deaf people are going to ask ... and they aren't really going to open up or talk to you much if you say "sorry, not sharing" (it's just considered very rude)

What is the reason you're learning ASL ? Do you have a child/family member who's Hoh/Deaf ? Are you wanting to work with Deaf Children? Or be an interpreter ??

If your going to be an interpreter - the Deaf community is going to want (and need) to know who you are... I can't imagine working with an interpreter who told me "I'm not telling you anything about why me, as a hearing person got interested in ASL and became an interpreter" - honestly, as a client that would shoot up BIG RED FLAGS and I'd never hire them for anything other than very "public interpreting" (versus appointments for drs, lawyers, or anything that involved me saying anything -via the interpreter- about myself to the dr/lawyer/employer etc via)

Do you have privacy issues (stalkers, witness protection etc ?) if so ... interpreting is probably a bad idea as you'll be in all sorts of public situations and you're name and image may/will be "out there" (espeically in cases of VRS, or Virtual Interpreting etc.

The Deaf community isn't expecting for you to share your street address, the type of underwear you wear (or don't), etc ... however they will expect that you'll share some basics, espeically if you're a hearing person.

I'm not interested in being an interpreter and if I have any deaf family members I will share the intimate details meaning sisters brothers etc I don't talk about. No I don't have stalkers or privacy issues I'm just private. I will answer why I'm in ASL that's not personal and has nothing to do with a job or family. Just my interest to learn I don't know any deaf people outside of those that I talk to here

It's a Deaf social norm to share information like what kind of school you attended (hearing/deaf/ mainstream etc), if anyone in your family is Hoh or Deaf etc ...

I understand that you might not want to share intimate details of your life, however sharing basics (school, any Hoh/Deaf family members, how you got interested in ASL etc) is something that ALL Deaf people are going to ask ... and they aren't really going to open up or talk to you much if you say "sorry, not sharing" (it's just considered very rude)

What is the reason you're learning ASL ? Do you have a child/family member who's Hoh/Deaf ? Are you wanting to work with Deaf Children? Or be an interpreter ??

If your going to be an interpreter - the Deaf community is going to want (and need) to know who you are... I can't imagine working with an interpreter who told me "I'm not telling you anything about why me, as a hearing person got interested in ASL and became an interpreter" - honestly, as a client that would shoot up BIG RED FLAGS and I'd never hire them for anything other than very "public interpreting" (versus appointments for drs, lawyers, or anything that involved me saying anything -via the interpreter- about myself to the dr/lawyer/employer etc via)

Do you have privacy issues (stalkers, witness protection etc ?) if so ... interpreting is probably a bad idea as you'll be in all sorts of public situations and you're name and image may/will be "out there" (espeically in cases of VRS, or Virtual Interpreting etc.

The Deaf community isn't expecting for you to share your street address, the type of underwear you wear (or don't), etc ... however they will expect that you'll share some basics, espeically if you're a hearing person.

Why not? Why do people feel the need to share the intimate details of their life so openly. I share with those I trust and outside of that it's unecessary information. Conversations are capable of being had without all the details. When you don't know someone keep it surface that's all they need to know

Oops response for Jiro

Why not? Why do people feel the need to share the intimate details of their life so openly. I share with those I trust and outside of that it's unecessary information. Conversations are capable of being had without all the details. When you don't know someone keep it surface that's all they need to know
If you feel that such common conversational ice breakers are prying into the intimate details of your life, then I'm surprised you even bother to post at AD. If you aren't taking ASL for the purpose of communicating with deaf people, then you're pretty much wasting your time.

Oops response for Jiro

and yet... you're open in here?

If you feel that such common conversational ice breakers are prying into the intimate details of your life, then I'm surprised you even bother to post at AD. If you aren't taking ASL for the purpose of communicating with deaf people, then you're pretty much wasting your time.

So the only way to talk to deaf people is to aspire to be an interpreter I disagree. I never said I didn't want to become friends with anyone. I post plenty here and I haven't spoken of my personal life.

Please do tell exactly what have I been open about other than my opinion on topics I have not shared any details of my life here

your ex-boyfriend/friend/relationship issue. your friend preference. your dating preference. your age.

your ex-boyfriend/friend/relationship issue. your friend preference. your dating preference. your age.

Really Jiro that is surface information I would tell anyone I'm single what's so private about that. I dont think I told all the details of my dating preference just some and thats tied in with being single. As for my friend he was an example to a question and I explained our relationship because I was being called a home wrecker. Outside of that what does anyone here really know about me other than I live in Texas. Nothing because it's none of anyones business it's my life and posting it on a public blog or talking about it to strangers is unecessary to me.

Really Jiro that is surface information I would tell anyone I'm single what's so private about that. I dont think I told all the details of my dating preference just some and thats tied in with being single. As for my friend he was an example to a question and I explained our relationship because I was being called a home wrecker. Outside of that what does anyone here really know about me other than I live in Texas. Nothing because it's none of anyones business it's my life and posting it on a public blog or talking about it to strangers is unecessary to me.

I don't consider sharing a basic information about yourself (name, where you live, what do you do for living, what college did you graduate from, etc.) as intimate details...

You don't need to tell me how many boyfriends you went thru... or what toy you keep in your drawer... or what your eating routine is... or what your weight is...

it's a social norm as conversation ice breaker (ASL, spoken language, internet, etc) to make a good impression with anybody in order to form a relationship - client, friend, etc. If we don't know anything about you, we most likely won't consider you as our terp for next time. nothing personal but it's how it is. same for an employer - they want a team player, not solo player. Teamwork works better if we know each other's life story.

Back