Arizona inmate dies 2 hours after execution began

Because the US Constitution prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment", and a botched execution is just that. It causes pain and suffering that's not permitted in the Constitution. Look at Oklahoma-- that one ended very badly, but I'm reserving judgement on the Arizona execution until more info is released.
Since he was unconscious at the time, I doubt that he was even aware of the extra time it took him to die.

A prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment" doesn't mean that executions are expected to be totally pain-free and without some suffering.

I think it's odd how they never have a time estimate of how long the victims in the case died or what their manner of death was like....

Laura

I think they were pretty stupid to use the drugs they did. I don't think the drugs were appropriate in that they were not strong enough. Midazolam (versed) was used, this was just the sedative to keep him asleep. I guess they thought that the hydromorphone (dilaudid) would kill him right off the bat. I don't know how much pain he was feeling, though it was obviously distressing to watch him struggle for air. Reports say that he died of a heart attack, but I wonder if he really had asphyxial attack, in which the heart stops because of lack of oxygen. That is, the medication basically made him suffocate to death. Suffocation is a tough way to die and could violate the "cruel and unusual punishment" part of the constitution.

I just read that they had to give him 15 doses of medication. The execution protocol stated that the injection should be 50 mg midazolam and 50 mg hydromorphone. They ended up giving him 750 mg of each. This has never been tried before, and it could fall under medical experimentation on a human.

Turns out that in a high proportion of regular lethal injections, where three drugs were used, that the sedative given at the start was given in lower quantities than required in surgeries (88% of the cases). About 21% of the people executed had a high chance of being aware and in distress during the execution. This was taken from a study done by U of Miami, and followup work a few years later reinforced that this indeed was happening.

There apparently have been quite a few **** ups with lethal injection, and they all stem from people who don't have the proper education or training to administer the drugs or even the proper training to start an IV. One guy who was to be executed had people stick him for 2 hours trying to find a vein anywhere in his arms or legs that could be used, and they eventually gave up. I don't think they had the training to use a vein in his neck or his groin. The guy who came up with the lethal injection protocal stated that it never occured to him that they would have complete idiots administering the drugs.

This is how I'd define excessive:

Man Captured After Raping Mother And 8-Year-Old Daughter: Cops

The Huffington Post | By Hilary Hanson

Posted: 07/31/2014 5:05 pm EDT Updated: 07/31/2014 5:59 pm EDT

n-DAVID-large.jpg

A man accused of raping a mother and her 8-year-old daughter in Alabama last week was captured in Florida on Monday.
David Pitts, 44, was allegedly waiting inside when the 30-year-old mother and her daughter returned to their home in Ozark, Alabama on Thursday night, the Dothan Eagle reports.
Police say Pitts, who was armed with both a knife and a gun, abducted the pair and drove them to a secluded area. He then allegedly raped the mother and sexually assaulted her daughter in front of her.
Authorities were unable to locate Pitts until Friday, when sheriff’s officials in Palm Beach County, Florida, received an anonymous tip that he was being treated at a hospital in Boynton Beach, according to the Associated Press.
Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey told the Sun Sentinel that although both mother and daughter have been through a “horrific and traumatic” experience, they are doing well.
Pitts is charged with kidnapping, rape, sexual abuse, theft and burglary.

America apparently gets inferior drugs for execution from china and india exutioner is paid $259 and doctors have been adviced to have nothing to do with it apart from pronouncing time of death

Because the US Constitution prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment", and a botched execution is just that. It causes pain and suffering that's not permitted in the Constitution. Look at Oklahoma-- that one ended very badly, but I'm reserving judgement on the Arizona execution until more info is released.

Whats so cruel and unusual about it? I think its more of an equal opportunity.

Why dont they just give them an extremely large dose of heroine? (OD)
They will never feel pain and will enjoy the high before they go blank. They will never feel pain other than the needle sick just as well as the cocktails. Ahhhhhhhh, and they could buy it off the street of their choice...lol using aid tainted used needles on the cheap !

Since he was unconscious at the time, I doubt that he was even aware of the extra time it took him to die.

A prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment" doesn't mean that executions are expected to be totally pain-free and without some suffering.

we will never know.....to me the cruelty 24yrs of waiting for death penalty be carried out

China has a cheap and reliable method of execution and the pain is minimal at best. One shot to the back of the head and it's over. The painful part is when the family of the executed prisoner is sent the bill for the bullet used. The appeals process is quick also.

China has a cheap and reliable method of execution and the pain is minimal at best. One shot to the back of the head and it's over. The painful part is when the family of the executed prisoner is sent the bill for the bullet used. The appeals process is quick also.

China is actually starting to use lethal injection much more now.

Back