Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No, my hearing loss is very profound, I don't get much benefit

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No, I never wear them for one reason or another

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I caution you against using the word "help" in the same sentence as Deaf community. You want to be involved in the Deaf community. We don't need your help....

As I friend I am trying to save you being freaked out on by someone you don't know haha

Oops sorry I didn't mean help as in Deaf ppl can't do things for themselves..my bad. I mean raise money to help pay for terps and such and note takers that ottawa clearly lacks!

We have the same hearing aids, but you have a lot more hearing than I do. I can say, from where I am hearing wise that I don't want to max out my hearing aids. My hearing aids are far from maxed now but if they get any louder I get headaches and get dizzy. I am also very aware that I am Deaf and I am not going to start hearing and understanding words anytime soon.

Once any aid is maxed out the distortion is ridiculouse. They weren't made to be pushed to the max. Just because they can, doesn't make it a good idea. Naida 5 UP's are also capable of very high gain that could damage your residual hearing. Just because you are deaf doesn't mean that you are exempt from damaging your hearing.

I also have Naida V UPs and I believe my hearing is worse than JennyB and Deafdude's. My aids are maxed out, but not because I have any expectation whatsoever of hearing speech or understanding verbal communication, but because I feel safe hearing a truck when it approaches, or a siren, or my home alarm when the siren goes off. While Jenny is absolutely correct that maxed out aids can produce further damage, my ENT and audiologist now feel I have nothing to lose. You, however, have a considerable amount of residual hearing and should protect that at all costs.

Deafdude, I wonder if perhaps you should consider some counselling. Your posts seem obsessed with pursuit of normal or even perfect hearing. While many of the people on this website may also prefer if they had better hearing, most of us seem to accept (and even embrace) the fact that we are Deaf/HOH and move on with our lives.

My hearing aids help me with environmental sounds..I am happy with them. I dont think too much about them though.

:gpost:
When I had my old aids everything was maxed out it was impossible to hear anything correctly there was just too much gain. I agree with everything Alicia said. Even these would be horrible maxed out. You would get tons of feedback and things would sound sharp and brassy all of the time.

That's old analog HAs for ya. I remember those days. Now with digitals, you can max the gains thanks to feedback cancellation. My dad says I probably have the gains maxed out at 1000Hz and above but my aided tests show I am missing 10db of gain.

That is why audi's have jobs. You cant just buy an over the counter aid and expect it to help you! (like you said about these $100 aids) I have gone through months of tweeking with the last aids and I will probably have to with these as well. That is why my audi is making one appointment once a week till they are perfect and even then I am calling him if something isn't right.

It remains to be seen how good those $100 aids are or if it's just hype. At they very worst, it could be useful for 95% of people with a hearing loss. I read that only 0.1% of hearing impaired people are profoundly deaf. Your HL is progressive so you need more gain from time to time. Hopefully you stop losing hearing or HAs might become useless :(

Also Deafdude I was wondering and anyone else for that matter, do they usually give you an audiogram with hearing aids on? I have never been asked to do that it is always with them off. So I have a hard time understanding deafdudes aided/unaided stuff?

My last audiogram was back in 1998 and it was done unaided then aided. I got a more recent audiogram, also unaided then aided. I didn't have such good aided scores in 1998, but then that's what the best HAs were capable of.

one way or another.... you'll have to cope with it and accept your loss. just saying....

Everyone has to cope, but it makes coping much easier with the right HAs.

I am just getting really annoyed that he isn't just happy with what he has left. I mean I get that he wants to be hearing but deafdude are you not proud to say you're deaf: ? I now more recently consider myself deaf not as much hoh. I want to learn ASL and I want to help out the deaf community. I am planning a fundraiser for the Ottawa Deaf Centre here through my work and all the proceeds go to them. It's like you hate being deaf. I was born hearing and I love being deaf and hearing. I can hear when I put my hearing aids on..well..most of the time but I'm still deaf and I accept that..i think it's time you do to and get over yourself.

If you were born hearing, you have an idea of what you are missing. I have no idea what im missing but am curious what it's like to hear normally. It makes life easier. If you are fine not wanting to hear all the wonderful environmental sounds, music and speech, well that's your choice. My choice is to be hearing. I was raised in a hearing world and am 100% oral.

We have the same hearing aids, but you have a lot more hearing than I do. I can say, from where I am hearing wise that I don't want to max out my hearing aids. My hearing aids are far from maxed now but if they get any louder I get headaches and get dizzy. I am also very aware that I am Deaf and I am not going to start hearing and understanding words anytime soon.

Probably due to the different lifestyle you were raised in. I was raised 100% oral, I don't sign at all. I read lips and speak clearly. Your brain may not be used to hearing since you have gone for long periods not wearing HAs.

If you want more gain, get a CI because you will get more usable gain and clearer sound.

Ive read your blog and you don't want CIs and have stated valid reasons. I understand. Id get CIs if the odds were better(for me and anyone with this much residual hearing) and they come up with a shorter, less risky surgical procedure. I am not convinced that CIs are benefical except to the very profoundly deaf. It is true that I have no idea what CI is like, much less normal hearing. It used to be that people get CIs when their unaided hearing is 100+ db loss and they hear no better than 50db aided with the best HAs maxed out.

Now im starting to see people with moderate hearing loss getting approved by insurance and surgeons for CIs. They don't even bother trying the best HAs and some of them pretend not to understand speech so they can become CI candidates. It honestly disgusts me and I can totally understand the controversity the deaf community views CI. I am not against CIs for those who need them but too many people could be getting equal or better benefit from the best HAs. They would get all the gain they care for and todays HAs can be programmed to keep distortion to a minimum. Even my audiologist doesn't recommend CIs except in the most profoundly deaf. He would be able to give almost all profoundly deaf people good aided hearing.

Once any aid is maxed out the distortion is ridiculouse. They weren't made to be pushed to the max. Just because they can, doesn't make it a good idea. Naida 5 UP's are also capable of very high gain that could damage your residual hearing. Just because you are deaf doesn't mean that you are exempt from damaging your hearing.

My audiologist did say my HAs are so powerful they can "blow out your eardrums" but he was referring to SPL. This is known as sound pressure level. It has to do with comfort levels and usually can't exceed 120 to 130db SPL. Mine and your HAs can give 142db SPL at 1000Hz. This much sound pressure can indeed damage your hearing, not to mention it would be physically painful.

I don't see how gain is a problem as long as the sounds never become too loud. Take a 10db sound, give it 70db gain and it's still only 80db so no problem. My goal is to let me hear faint sounds, not to make already loud sounds intolerable. I want an improvement in the threshold without increasing the SPL or exceeding the comfort levels.

I dont understand why this person who started this thread is constantly asking about max gains to his hearing etc, why doesnt he get a CI if he's not satisfied?

I would if I lost at least 10db more hearing then CI would have a high % chance of being louder/better than the best HAs can give me. My audiologist will try to get my aided hearing to what people hear with a CI anyway. As for distortion, he will use programs to minimize that.

Someone with moderate-severe loss isn't a candidate for a CI.

I tried telling people this but they have bought into the hype of CI and since they are "candidates" and insurance is footing the bill, they don't care what anyone says. Can't say we didn't warn them if they likley end up hearing worse with CI than HA. I really wish insurance would start paying for HAs and secondly, stop approving moderately HOH people who could benefit better from HAs. :roll:

I also have Naida V UPs and I believe my hearing is worse than JennyB and Deafdude's. My aids are maxed out, but not because I have any expectation whatsoever of hearing speech or understanding verbal communication, but because I feel safe hearing a truck when it approaches, or a siren, or my home alarm when the siren goes off. While Jenny is absolutely correct that maxed out aids can produce further damage, my ENT and audiologist now feel I have nothing to lose. You, however, have a considerable amount of residual hearing and should protect that at all costs.

Is your SPL maxed or just the gains? Do you experience any discomfort or pressure in your ears? I am curious what's your aided scores given a 110-120db unaided hearing. I will work with my audiologist to have my HAs reprogrammed so I hear my best without unnecessary risk of damage. Has anyone given you an idea when you could expect to become 100% deaf? What would you do then?

Deafdude, I wonder if perhaps you should consider some counselling. Your posts seem obsessed with pursuit of normal or even perfect hearing. While many of the people on this website may also prefer if they had better hearing, most of us seem to accept (and even embrace) the fact that we are Deaf/HOH and move on with our lives.

I do have OCD and there's nothing that can be done. I obsess about many different things in life and worry too much about others and the risks they take. I feel im constantly trying to warn others from harming themselves by the bad choices they are making in life.

My hearing aids help me with environmental sounds..I am happy with them. I dont think too much about them though.

Do you have any unaided/aided audiograms? I am guessing your 120db loss is at 1000Hz or 2000Hz. What's your loss at 250Hz for example?

Now im starting to see people with moderate hearing loss getting approved by insurance and surgeons for CIs. They don't even bother trying the best HAs and some of them pretend not to understand speech so they can become CI candidates.

How can people get away with pretending not to understand speech? Since there are a list of 50 words, 50 sentences in noise and 50 sentences in quiet, how does one go about cheating and pretending they can't hear speech when they can? I'm sure any experienced CI audi who is evaluating someone for an implant could pick up on this. Even the audi who evaluated me for my first CI wouldn't let me get away with not guessing words or sentences I couldn't hear. She told me to guess even if I had no clue what I was hearing. That really made it difficult for me because when certain words (especially the single word list) were impossible for me to understand, I had to make something up. I couldn't get away with saying, "I don't know."

I do have OCD and there's nothing that can be done.

OCD can be treated with meds. Cognitive behavioral therapy can also help.

Is your SPL maxed or just the gains? Do you experience any discomfort or pressure in your ears? I am curious what's your aided scores given a 110-120db unaided hearing. I will work with my audiologist to have my HAs reprogrammed so I hear my best without unnecessary risk of damage. Has anyone given you an idea when you could expect to become 100% deaf? What would you do then?

The gain has been maximized. No, I have no discomfort or pressure when using them. If/when I become 100% deaf, I will discard my hearing aids and embrace the silence. It is an issue of gravity; I can't change gravity, but I can learn to function within its limitations and benefits.

And please remember, we cannot apply simple mathematical equations to a complex biological system like hearing. What people hear, perceive, and understand cannot be determined from one's audiogram alone. That would be like trying to measure global warming using an oral thermometer.

I do have OCD and there's nothing that can be done.

Quite right.

Now im starting to see people with moderate hearing loss getting approved by insurance and surgeons for CIs. They don't even bother trying the best HAs and some of them pretend not to understand speech so they can become CI candidates.

How can people get away with pretending not to understand speech? Since there are a list of 50 words, 50 sentences in noise and 50 sentences in quiet, how does one go about cheating and pretending they can't hear speech when they can? I'm sure any experienced CI audi who is evaluating someone for an implant could pick up on this. Even the audi who evaluated me for my first CI wouldn't let me get away with not guessing words or sentences I couldn't hear. She told me to guess even if I had no clue what I was hearing. That really made it difficult for me because when certain words (especially the single word list) were impossible for me to understand, I had to make something up. I couldn't get away with saying, "I don't know."

Pre Implant I was trying very hard as Audi says, i could have got worser results, i had to guess most of the time. Without visual it's impossible for me to understand a thing that the audi stopped mid way and stamped my files 0%. She said i was getting anxious.

After my CI, I had my audi to come in the room and asked me to guess.. i was like eh.. errmmmm, she said what does it sound like I say something with c and d in fact it was "ClouD"!! She knew i would get C and D but not the middles!! Audi can be quite crafty and not stupid at all. Another is I guessed was "fire engine is red" but it's actually "The car Engine is running", this shows the Audi that i am getting there but not quite ready to grasp the words automatically. Pre Implant i couldn't get a thing without lipreading/visual.

Also the Audi is quite clever at behaivoural changes when cheating or not. They know if you are really understanding the sentence for example you miss out the vital words. They have at least 5 different sets of sentences but same man. If the Audi are not sure of your results they would call you back for repeat with different set to compare with previous.
Every time i had my review for my progress with the Implant i had different set of sentences.... each time my progress has improved since last.

"I tried telling people this but they have bought into the hype of CI and since they are "candidates" and insurance is footing the bill, they don't care what anyone says. Can't say we didn't warn them if they likley end up hearing worse with CI than HA. I really wish insurance would start paying for HAs and secondly, stop approving moderately HOH people who could benefit better from HAs."

You have said this over and over, but I have not yet seen one single piece of evidence that has shown people who hear WORSE than they did with hearing aids. Show me, please. I have asked for this information again and again. You say it as if it is a fact.

deafdude1,

Those people who you mentioned that have a lot of residual hearing and they went ahead and got the CI, did they actually say that they hear worse? Or is this something that was inferred since you think "Their audiogram is better than mine, and they didn't even try to max out their HAs, therefore they wasted resources and their residual hearing because of the damn audiologists pushing."? Or what?

Deafdude,

Feedback cancellation does not mean you get no feedback, you can still get it with digitals.

Feedback cancellation also reduces the gain a bit. I have been wearing hearing aids all my life at almost full blast for almost 50 years two years ago I had my one CI implant and still wear a high power Phonak aid at max in the other ear. No regrets.

I have lost so much hearing, I lose it every day. I'm lucky enough to hear out of one ear as I am completely deaf in my right. I am very hard hearing in the left, someday I will be completely deaf in that ear.

One of the woman I know simply refused to guess, she told the audiologist it's either all or nothing, if I am not 100% sure I understood the word or sentence correctly, I am staying silent. She ended up staying silent for all 50 words and for most of the 50 sentences. In the past, she would guess and not qualify for a CI based on understanding too much speech. Her unaided audiogram was technicially bad enough for a CI but her aided hearing was good enough for her to understand alot of speech. I know other people who refuse to guess or even get it wrong on purpose so they can be done with it and get the CI they want.

It's sad, they are fooling only themselves and I wouldn't be surprised if they go into denial after they find out their CI is no better than their HAs. Many will refuse to admit this because then their insurance will demand the $50,000 to be paid back. This is why you see alot less than the 30% bad CI results Shel will tell you. Denial doesn't last forever and after a while, they finally admit that their CI was a waste, a bad decision, etc.

Ill think about cognitive therapy but no meds for me, the side effects make me ill.

DeafDoc1,

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to learn all I can about HAs for myself and to help my friends. I have no idea how well you currently hear aided, an audiogram would give objective results. Your testimonal would give subjective results. For all I know, you could be hearing better than people with more residual hearing than you because of max gains. Has your audiologist commented that your HAs will further damage your hearing? Is it due to very high SPL levels? How high is a max safe SPL?

overthepond,

If you still had a chance before you got CI, would you have tried my HA or equivalent from another brand? What if your audiologist told you that you could get 20db to 30db aided with your HA and hear so much better? I am just curious why you were never given a trial with the best HAs.

I am impressed if your audie can spot the cheaters. I do believe you when you said you scored 0%(your aided scores aren't much good above 250Hz)
I did notice you hear worse with CI at 250Hz and below, will it ever be possible to at least match your HA in the low frequencies?

You have said this over and over, but I have not yet seen one single piece of evidence that has shown people who hear WORSE than they did with hearing aids. Show me, please. I have asked for this information again and again. You say it as if it is a fact.

I will keep searching Google for evidence. Actually, there's evidence that CI wearers usually hear music worse than HA wearers. Overthepond is evidence she hears worse with her CIs at 250Hz and below.(she might have heard worse even at 500Hz and 1000Hz if she had gotten the chance to try my HAs, my audiologist would have tried to aid her to 20-30db) But of course no HA would ever aid her at 2000Hz and above since she had no residual high frequency hearing.

It's common for people to hear worse with CI than HA in the low frequencies. How many people get 10db or 15db at 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz with CI? Very, very few. My audiologist could potentally get me to 10db or 15db when he reprograms my HAs. Remember that 75% of all environmental sounds are at 500Hz and below. You may see my blog in my sig to read and understand my math and reasoning for CIs. It's a long, interesting read. I even mentioned that it's likley ill understand less speech with CI than HA for male voices. See my math why.

Daredevel7,

Refer to my blog in sig and you will understand. I guess in your case since you had 90-110+ db hearing loss and ended up with a way above average CI result, it's logical you do hear better with CI. If you have your unaided and/or aided audiogram with HA, I can do the math for you.

Deafdude,

Feedback cancellation does not mean you get no feedback, you can still get it with digitals.

This is correct, I had to upgrade to new, larger specially shaped molds to eliminate feedback. I am hoping it can accept 10db more gain without feedback. If not, my audie will give me the most possible gain without feedback.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I also have a thread asking why max gain isn't always good.

One of the woman I know simply refused to guess, she told the audiologist it's either all or nothing, if I am not 100% sure I understood the word or sentence correctly, I am staying silent...It's sad, they are fooling only themselves and I wouldn't be surprised if they go into denial after they find out their CI is no better than their HAs.

If a CI audi allows a person to get away with not guessing during a hearing test, then it is the fault of the audi for not being responsible enough to ensure that no cheating is taking place. Like I said, my former CI audi required me to guess even if I had no idea what I was hearing. It was difficult for me to come up with some answers because I simply could not understand what I was hearing. Sometimes I would say "I don't know" because I couldn't even venture a guess, so she would respond, "What do you think it is?" and I would make something up only because I couldn't tell if I was hearing consonants or vowels (this was primarily with the single word list).

Ill think about cognitive therapy but no meds for me, the side effects make me ill.

I understand.

It's common for people to hear worse with CI than HA in the low frequencies. How many people get 10db or 15db at 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz with CI? Very, very few. My audiologist could potentally get me to 10db or 15db when he reprograms my HAs. Remember that 75% of all environmental sounds are at 500Hz and below. You may see my blog in my sig to read and understand my math and reasoning for CIs. It's a long, interesting read. I even mentioned that it's likley ill understand less speech with CI than HA for male voices. See my math why.

Again, you are assuming. Show me the research or even people saying that this is true, other than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back