Are there really HOH and Deaf Police Officers

You cant be a REAL police officer if u are deaf just like joining the military

I don't your to old to do anything if you put your mind to it. I believe that deaf people should be able to do anyline of work why becaue it is not only the hearing that have crisis so does deaf people too. and with deaf officers on duty they are able to repond to other deaf people easier and communicate with them better in situation than hearing people. I am a deaf minister and I can read english very well i can sign language the bible and use my voice for the hearing I am trainned to do that so whether you want to be a ballerina or police officer or a doctor you can do anything all it takes is patient and trainning. Don't let anybody tell you that you cannot make it

to be deaf is not a bad thing, just let your heart flow and let your dreams grow you can be anything in the world you want despite of your condition.

to be deaf is not a bad thing, just let your heart flow and let your dreams grow you can be anything in the world you want despite of your condition.

Except what the law will not allow.

I live between Kentucky and Ohio i know most all that area and they do not have Deaf or HOH cop i ask them, they said they do not allow in that state my cousin is cop he said same thing ......

It is possible for HOH to become police Officers; I myself not a Police officer but a former Law Enforcement Explorer in GA, I am looking into joining the Law Enforcement Field. Here in Ga i researched one department that allows Hearing Aids in the recruitment information and that is the Georgia Department of Naturual Resorces Conservation Rangers.
A Career as a Conservation Ranger | Georgia DNR - Wildlife Resources Division
i am not sure of deaf Police officers in GA.

Evan Hodge

do you all remember the tv show sue thomas FBI agent well my son had the pleasure of meeting the reall sue thomas and yes she is a FBI agent also in the US there are deaf and HOH police officers my son attending RIT in fall in crimminal justice he plans on becoming a US marshall

yes in cincinnati there is a deaf policeofficer and in southern ohio there is a HOH state trooper

yes in cincinnati there is a deaf policeofficer and in southern ohio there is a HOH state trooper

Wow,really? I'm very close to Columbus and I wouldnt want to be police officer.

How can they hear gun shots? :lol: Ah,hell no,no thanks.

Yes, I met Deaf retired police Lieutenant from Nevada or California, I think his name is Robert aged 68 as of now. He goes to my deaf ministry church once in a while. He's funny as heck.

I live between Kentucky and Ohio i know most all that area and they do not have Deaf or HOH cop i ask them, they said they do not allow in that state my cousin is cop he said same thing ......

Because a lot of pigs are ignorant and stupid as uneducated.

Uh…no offense, but I just don’t see how this is possible. I am profoundly deaf on one side of my head with no residual hearing whatsoever. I have normal hearing on the other side of my head. I’m ineligible to serve in any capacity whatsoever with the Defense Department—even a noncombat support position. I just don’t see how it is possible that you can qualify for the job you’re describing. Are you actually telling us that you are training for a position as a fully commissioned peace officer with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and that nobody in command has an issue with your application? There must be something you’re not revealing, although I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Pessimist, much?

i desire to be a police officer... but doubt will go in that feild cuz of deaf...

I understand. I wonder however, if sometimes a sign of a true growth is to admit that we do are limited in certain areas.

I can't help but think about what one of the posters wrote how the lack of communication scared the bejeezus out of him -"never knowing if
his partner needs an assistance, or not".

We do need to think of others, too, not only ourselves, what we want.

Hmm maybe if there was a skype type of communication more common and perfected, or something, I dunno..

Fuzzy

Interesting to read all of this. I am profoundly deaf in both ears and just graduated college with a degree in criminal justice. I am applying to local police departments and have my hopes high. I will NOT give up until I get what I want and everybody else should have that attitude too!

When I was in college my instructor while I was taking criminal justice was HOH and he was an officer with the local PD. :)

Interesting to read all of this. I am profoundly deaf in both ears and just graduated college with a degree in criminal justice. I am applying to local police departments and have my hopes high. I will NOT give up until I get what I want and everybody else should have that attitude too!

Me too. I have a degree in criminal justice and plan to go much further. I'd like to get my masters but the only thing I have to worry about is my hearing loss. It'd be a shame to go all the way only to be turned down for a job but I think I'll be able to do something related in the field. You don't have to be an officer persay. I would not mind starting up my own P.I business but doing more or less what Gavin De Becker does. IF you don't know who he is, he's the author of The Gift Of Fear. A great read!

I'm sure being a police officer is not the only place to put a crimincal justice degree to good use. You might even consider running for sherrif. If you get voted in, no way they can say no!!! ;)

Hi everyone !
My apologies for being absent since 2012.
Good Grief .. Times flies when we stay busy.
It amazes me how quickly people forget I exist and how those of us in the deaf world have so much doubt that we can have the determination and perseverance to go after the impossible .
I have been a full fledged POST certified police officer in the New Orleans area for over 38 years . And yes , I am profoundly deaf . I used a hearing dog for my partner and fm receiver systems for the police radio with an accessible frequency .
I am aware of my vulnerabilities and my dog and I always cover my back .
It's been hard and getting accepted was hardest . I dedicated a number of years of my life towards trying to make myself something they would desire... Education , education , education and more education , degreed and certifications .i went to college Worked a job and donated my time free to the police departments with lip reading at night time . There was little sleep , no social life , no play .. Just being obsessive about attaining my goal .
All the while , continuing with a speech therapist long am after high school and honingmy lip reading skills to the 93% accuracy level and yes .. I was tested and tested often .
Once in ... I had to be the best because I knew there were a lot of people in authority ready to see me fail and say , I told you so .
I HAD to be the best to be allowed to stay there and open doors for others .
However , NO doors will ever be opened if people keep denying that I exist . I do and with sheer persistence , determination to work on your skills and language development ( our weakness ) and compensation skills ( there's always tricks around making a can't into a can .i will try to come back here more often to answer questions and assure everyone of our potential to achieve and excel .
Meanwhile , I wanted to tell all here and ALLDEAF thank you for the birthday wishes today.
I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Home

Back