Are there really HOH and Deaf Police Officers

Uh…no offense, but I just don’t see how this is possible. I am profoundly deaf on one side of my head with no residual hearing whatsoever. I have normal hearing on the other side of my head. I’m ineligible to serve in any capacity whatsoever with the Defense Department—even a noncombat support position. I just don’t see how it is possible that you can qualify for the job you’re describing. Are you actually telling us that you are training for a position as a fully commissioned peace officer with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and that nobody in command has an issue with your application? There must be something you’re not revealing, although I would be more than happy to be proven wrong. Also, I find the following statement a little puzzling (bolding mine):

Could you expound on that a little bit?

As I have stated, I said I am in the process, meaning the hiring process, polygraph test, agility test, and etc.

What I mean about my hearing, I have a profound hearing loss. I was trained everyday starting from when I was five years old at the University of Tennessee doing verbal tonal program. It has helped me tremendously. My only major life activity that is impacted are using the telephone and radio.

no i dont know anyone who is a police officer and is hoh/deaf. good question... hmm :D

I was going to say that deaf cops exist only in our dreams but I am glad that you guys show otherwise.

At my department we have a few officers that are HOH but in denial - hide their hearing aids and have learned no ASL. We have no totally deaf officers.
I am hearing officer who is immersed in the d/Deaf community/culture and ASL.

My hubs - ran256 - is very HOH - no HAs yet and ASL - and is corrections officer with the state.
When he informed the leadership that he is in ITP, look forward to retirement positons he was told - ASL/Interpreters not necessary in the prison system. This is one problem in our state.

I do not know of any place around here who has hired deaf officers.

Of course there are! I know several HOH Police Officers. One of them also speaks Sign Language - and he is invaluable in cases that involve people who can only speak ASL

HOH Law Enforcement officers

I've ask this question on a few threads a few times but never got any response, but really I'am so curious.

What do Deaf Police Officers do?

They really hire HOH Police Officers?

Maybe down in the US, but up in Canada I don't know if that's allowed?

Yes, they can hire HOH L.E.O. if they pass the test.

I am a little bit not sure about someone who is deaf or hard of hearing to become a police officer. You have to be able to hear what the people say just like in the hospital where nurses or doctors have to listen to patients very clearly. I thought about Sue Thompson when she worked as a FBI lipreader but she was also involve with her hearing co-workers. I noticed that she was in a very dangerous line of work when she was out on the street. She could not hear the guns or anything going on even with her hearing ear dog. It was always a close call, but it could have kill her if she is not with her co-workers. It is a risk for a person to be in front of a dangerous criminals and other felons who might threaten the police officer's life. Yes, I think it is all a dream of beoming one. But if the deafies can be police officer that can pass the test and go into training to be a responsible and law-abiden police officer. Then go for it but just make sure that you have a hearing police officer to work with, just in case anything happen to you that you can not hear. I have always want to be a ballerina for years and I did studied ballet training but when I was rehearsing for the ballet dance, it is different on stage than in the classroom. I could feel the vibration on the floor in the classroom. But not on stage, I keep a look out to the other dancers and I tried to use the beat rhythm to keep up with the dancers. I thought maybe I was not cut out for it as I am deaf for the rest of my life. So go finger and now I am toooo old to start over. Anyway I am over 60 years old now. Time is fast. :giggle:

I used a volunteer work at the police dept sub-division station near my old apt for deaf residents needing help and log sign-in/out for our street patrol officers.

I am a former EMT that never got to get on an ambulance as a full-on trained EMT. The only time I was in the back working on a patient was as an EMT-student. Well a family friend was in the class with me and she ran and old the instructor I was deaf. - he did come and ask me if it were true - I said Im deaf in one ear - Im fine in the other. Of course this was back before my hearing in my working ear deteriorated. And even though he made every effort to fail me - I passed. But then the same family friend went and told the EMS Director I was deaf - after that I never could get a job there nor at any other local EMS company. It was very heartbreaking to see my dreams of working as a Paramedic tossed away like that. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I shelled out for the course and 5 months spent studying my ass off and taking and passing the National Registry exam. Now I know better - Im just not able to serve in any capacity as a civil servant. So now Im back in a chicken plant wondering if this is all I will ever be.

The only way I'll ever work in civil service is in a low-level desk job capacity.

I am a former EMT that never got to get on an ambulance as a full-on trained EMT. The only time I was in the back working on a patient was as an EMT-student. Well a family friend was in the class with me and she ran and old the instructor I was deaf. - he did come and ask me if it were true - I said Im deaf in one ear - Im fine in the other. Of course this was back before my hearing in my working ear deteriorated. And even though he made every effort to fail me - I passed. But then the same family friend went and told the EMS Director I was deaf - after that I never could get a job there nor at any other local EMS company. It was very heartbreaking to see my dreams of working as a Paramedic tossed away like that. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I shelled out for the course and 5 months spent studying my ass off and taking and passing the National Registry exam. Now I know better - Im just not able to serve in any capacity as a civil servant. So now Im back in a chicken plant wondering if this is all I will ever be.

The only way I'll ever work in civil service is in a low-level desk job capacity.

You could work for the local fire department.

To be a professional firefighter is my main goal, and I'm going to turn in the application soon.

but all FF are REQUIRED to carry EMT-B certification something I now lack as I have let my license expire. Im no longer worried about it. I'll just find something else to do that makes me feel happy.

Deaf Police Officers

My friends had directed me to this site and the inquiries about deaf police officers in our country. As far as I know, there are three of us. I started in 1975 with the New Orleans Police Dept. Then in 1979 transferred to Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and in 1986 moved acrossed the lake to start a Hearing Dog program in a rural setting and started with the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office there. I have worked every capacity in law enforcement with the exception of working the jails, auto theft and homicide. I have worked patrol with devices and a hearing dog for most of my career. Compensation skills are vital and knowing your own limitations imperative.Galludet recognized me on a calendar entitled ,'Outstanding Deaf Americans" ..in 1983 or 1985... Can't quite remember, so much has happened in our lives especially since Katrina. I started in 1975 when there were not too many of us out there. It took me three years of fighting civil service to prove I could do the job. It's been a great career and I still have to prove myself everyday. But, who doesn't ?!
The secret for me to attain the job I wanted was to wall paper...keep going back to school and getting certified in things contemporary law enforcement needed and nobody else was doing....I now have 3 Masters degrees and intend to go for my PhD. just so that I can continue to be the best possible police officer and serve my community in the best way I can....I have to give 300 % and it is worth it to me to be in the right place at the right time to make a positive difference for others.I am over 30 (ha-ha-ha) and still see a speech therapist every week...so, people can understand me better. My speech is not great...but, someday, it will be ...It's my responsibility to do this. Pls share the message of our potential and offer hope for determination and hard work. I am happy to help anyone in anyway... To those of you saying it is impossible... I'll say to you, it is . But, you have to dedicate yourself to attaining it for years. I sacrificed many years to getting on the department and then , staying on the department and then....having to be the best.. People are always waiting for me ti fail sothey can say, I told you so and we can't let that happen.I was born profoundly deaf ( premature with measles) and have never heard...so, I don't really know what I'm missing, however, through fm wireless loops and technology, life can be navigated easier. Best of luck to you all !.
With liove and thanks to all, :ty:
Deputy Susie

Deputy Susie's Street Survival Programs

I know of three deaf POST Certified officers. One in Alaska, one in Virginia and one in Louisiana (me)

It's been a very difficult and satisfying career....
Do ALL Things With Love ! susie

Deputy Susie's Street Survival Programs

Last edited:
Papogator 24 :
How are things going ? It took me three years to fight civil service and prove I could do the job. Let me know if I can help you. Most important- don't get discouraged.Alaska just hired a deaf officer.... and yeah, he's working the streets ! We CAN DO IT !
Best of Luck ! deputy susie

I don't know anyone who are deaf or hard of hearing are police officers, to be honest I wanted to be a police officer several years ago, but I found out I couldn't work on the streets, Only at the police department doing paper work or working at the crosswalk signal, I don't like that idea. I rather to get behind the wheels of the police cars and get those bums off the street, or work with wide variety of people everyday on the street. But you know that way impossible because I can't hear if someone comes behind me with a gun or any type of weapon.
Cheri, why not about Private Investigator or Paralegal Assistant. up to you.. I am a trainer PI but I dont have license. Maybe someday i will..

yeah i know one deaf man works for police dept i think hes like a CSI photo prof thing (dead,accident, robbery etc ). its in NY , suffolk county.

YOMAN!

Deaf/HOH Law Enforcement Academy

I don't know anyone who are deaf or hard of hearing are police officers, to be honest I wanted to be a police officer several years ago, but I found out I couldn't work on the streets, Only at the police department doing paper work or working at the crosswalk signal, I don't like that idea. I rather to get behind the wheels of the police cars and get those bums off the street, or work with wide variety of people everyday on the street. But you know that way impossible because I can't hear if someone comes behind me with a gun or any type of weapon.
==========================================================

Hi, I know that is impossible for Deaf become a cop with a gun but sure deaf can be a police volunteer without weapons.

HOH, If you can pass everything at the Law Enforcement Academy, there is no problem! I have seen a guy who is HOH at the police's dept. he turn up loudest his police car's radio. ha!

Some city in USA, they will let you to patrol and ticket for illegal parking and expire tags. you may walk at the fairground and lookout for fighting, drunkers, etc... your partner will report to dispatcher for you, they send cop to see them. you can handle the kid who is lost. you can drive the police car. you can ask your local police or sheriff's dept and say you want to be a citizen volunteer, they will check your record then you go to the volunteer academy. if you do not mind that you will pay the uniform,boot,belt,patches and badge? Let me know if they turn you down....

:rl:

Yes, I known a few deaf offiers and hoh and one works for FBI so it very small not many deaf are cops or FBI very rare. But it is a dangerous jobs but most of them use hearing dogs in their line of work. Whatever dreams or goals you want to be in life, Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do this or can't do that with your dreams because you're deaf. Deaf can do well just as good as hearing people. I say go for it.

has anybody heard of MDC? it is supposedly a piece of equipment that a deaf officer uses to relay information to dispatch.

Back