Are there really HOH and Deaf Police Officers

Saw a highway patrolman in Kansas wearing a hearing aid.

I think it's silly. They have to do thier time on patrol...but deaf and hoh can be very perceptive like reading body language and thinking outside the box. Requirements for excellent detective. investigators.

I've ask this question on a few threads a few times but never got any response, but really I'am so curious.

What do Deaf Police Officers do?

They really hire HOH Police Officers?

Maybe down in the US, but up in Canada I don't know if that's allowed?

this is one of the few jobs that not haveing your ears could get you killed and if a community does hier HOH/Deaf person it might be a rather small one I think it sucks but I am a realest a police officer need to be completely and totally aware of the environment I would not want anyone getting shot because he did not hear the guy yelling at them.

Which mode of communication do you use?

Sorry it took so long! I use oral communication. I utilize the radio and my MDC (mobile data computer) in the same fashion as hearing officers do. I have gone without my MDC and have worked using the radio only. It really is one of those things where you just need to give it a shot, and don't be afraid to ask dispatch to repeat themselves. I would be happy to answer any other questions!

Elias

Sorry it took so long! I use oral communication. I utilize the radio and my MDC (mobile data computer) in the same fashion as hearing officers do. I have gone without my MDC and have worked using the radio only. It really is one of those things where you just need to give it a shot, and don't be afraid to ask dispatch to repeat themselves. I would be happy to answer any other questions!

Elias
Thank you. :)

I've been on the Police Dept for 12 years as Reserve Officer. I was not armed. I was with an armed partner most of the time. I'm hard of hearing in both ears with a hearing aid, and most of the time was not an issue.

n82906846910827048163.jpg

I was caught having a mini-doughnut! hehe It was a big city wide event that weekend.

n82906846910827037928.jpg

I was also a security guard for the marina for 10 years.

I've been on the Police Dept for 12 years as Reserve Officer. I was not armed. I was with an armed partner most of the time. I'm hard of hearing in both ears with a hearing aid, and most of the time was not an issue.

n82906846910827048163.jpg

I was caught having a mini-doughnut! hehe It was a big city wide event that weekend.

n82906846910827037928.jpg

I was also a security guard for the marina for 10 years.

MMMmmmmm donuts!, Donuts for the cops, I've seen the Metro Transit police and Minneapolis police officers at my neighbor store, they eat a donuts, sometime Univ of Minn campus police patrols in my area (when Minneapolis or Transit police not avilable)

Gallaudet had and still have deaf security guards, deaf security officers and deaf security supervisors. But their use of guns were removed by Paul Kelley for insurance reasons. Deaf people can do anything including kill, steal, rape, arson, etc except hear.

There are deaf people working as civilians in the federal law enforcement agencies like the FBI, DEA, ATF, Customs, Secret Service, NCIS, etc but they cannot be special agents. The Rehab Act of 1973 (the ADA exempted the federal government) banned physical and medical examinations but it is allowed if a whole category of job required it, like law enforcement officers and whether conditional offers are included. Same thing for city, county, state, local, etc LEOs which are covered under the ADA Title II

there is hope

I just wanted to let you know that I am a police officer in new brunswick canada and have been so for 13 years. I am hoh and wear two hearing aids and speech read (as best I can).
I did have to pass a hearing test when applying for the academy. I did pass but the doctor noted I was hoh. I was very borderline on passing, but I could tell she really felt for me and passed me based on my efforts.
I am not limited to what I can or have done. I worked patrol, swat for 7 years (although we used enhanced hearing systems, which actually helped me), did plainclothes drugs for 4 years and I am currently in the detective office.
I could not pass that test now (I'm not 20 anymore either!) and have found that I do have to go that extra mile in order to have things work the same as others. My deafness is hereditary as I have family members who are Deaf, but it has also progressed due to the nature of the work (ie gunshots, sirens, radios squelching in your ears, not to mention I was on the Swat team and we used explosives). I am "moderately severe-severely" deaf on the audiogram in both ears.
I know of a few older officers who do have one hearing aid but I would like to know if there are any out there wearing two or are on the job that are Deaf (profoundly). I am still in my 30's.

Thanks

Gallaudet had and still have deaf security guards, deaf security officers and deaf security supervisors. But their use of guns were removed by Paul Kelley for insurance reasons. Deaf people can do anything including kill, steal, rape, arson, etc except hear.

There are deaf people working as civilians in the federal law enforcement agencies like the FBI, DEA, ATF, Customs, Secret Service, NCIS, etc but they cannot be special agents. The Rehab Act of 1973 (the ADA exempted the federal government) banned physical and medical examinations but it is allowed if a whole category of job required it, like law enforcement officers and whether conditional offers are included. Same thing for city, county, state, local, etc LEOs which are covered under the ADA Title II

Deaf people can do anything, including hear though not always exactly at the level and perception as a hearing person. Though that could change someday.

I just wanted to let you know that I am a police officer in new brunswick canada and have been so for 13 years. I am hoh and wear two hearing aids and speech read (as best I can).
I did have to pass a hearing test when applying for the academy. I did pass but the doctor noted I was hoh. I was very borderline on passing, but I could tell she really felt for me and passed me based on my efforts.
I am not limited to what I can or have done. I worked patrol, swat for 7 years (although we used enhanced hearing systems, which actually helped me), did plainclothes drugs for 4 years and I am currently in the detective office.
I could not pass that test now (I'm not 20 anymore either!) and have found that I do have to go that extra mile in order to have things work the same as others. My deafness is hereditary as I have family members who are Deaf, but it has also progressed due to the nature of the work (ie gunshots, sirens, radios squelching in your ears, not to mention I was on the Swat team and we used explosives). I am "moderately severe-severely" deaf on the audiogram in both ears.
I know of a few older officers who do have one hearing aid but I would like to know if there are any out there wearing two or are on the job that are Deaf (profoundly). I am still in my 30's.

Thanks

Keep at it. If it helps, I've done wildland forest fire fighting several times over the last several years. My last one was in 2006, and we nearly got caught in a blowup (sudden consumation of fire) on our last day of fire fighting. As far as I know, I was the only certified forest fire fighter with a hearing loss at the moderate-severe level and alumni of Gallaudet University. So, don't feel too bad if you feel that you're alone. It's a hard profession but by no means impossible.

Funny, I was a firefighter before becoming a police officer. I encourage anyone that has the desire for these jobs to close their ears to any opposition and drive really hard. Best job in the world! The hearing test is an obstacle but really, you can fight the legislation based on the discrimination.....

I am a former EMT that never got to get on an ambulance as a full-on trained EMT. The only time I was in the back working on a patient was as an EMT-student. Well a family friend was in the class with me and she ran and old the instructor I was deaf. - he did come and ask me if it were true - I said Im deaf in one ear - Im fine in the other. Of course this was back before my hearing in my working ear deteriorated. And even though he made every effort to fail me - I passed. But then the same family friend went and told the EMS Director I was deaf - after that I never could get a job there nor at any other local EMS company. It was very heartbreaking to see my dreams of working as a Paramedic tossed away like that. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I shelled out for the course and 5 months spent studying my ass off and taking and passing the National Registry exam. Now I know better - Im just not able to serve in any capacity as a civil servant. So now Im back in a chicken plant wondering if this is all I will ever be.

The only way I'll ever work in civil service is in a low-level desk job capacity.

OH SWEET DIXIE! You can do what you want, as long as you have the right equipment with you to do the job you want to do! You have the knowledge, you have the heart, and with all of the technology they have out now you can get stethoscopes and all sorts of things to make you just as good if not better than a lot of the other workers including that family member that was so set on ruining things for you! Don't let anyone take your dreams away from you! Since you went through all the training and everything and passed all the tests, go to your state vocational rehab office, (ours is in the employment offices here in Alabama), show them the schooling you've had and everything and they will get you the equipment you need for the job and get you hired to the place you want to be! Also if you get fired or "black balled" for your hearing then you can always open up a state case against them... DON'T GIVE UP!

Funny, I was a firefighter before becoming a police officer. I encourage anyone that has the desire for these jobs to close their ears to any opposition and drive really hard. Best job in the world! The hearing test is an obstacle but really, you can fight the legislation based on the discrimination.....
AMEN!
My dad was the first very hard of hearing person hired into the Cullman County Sheriff's department. He started the flight program for both Cullman county and Cullman city. He never let anything keep him from doing anything he wanted to do. He was full patrol, he picked up people on warrants, did patrol writing tickets, went into any situation you could think of, he had a gun on his belt just like every other officer on the force. He also trained the officers that now do all the flying for both Cullman County and city. He gave me hell growing up, he wouldn't allow me to have hearing aids, all kinds of stuff but my point here is that he fought and did exactly what he damned well pleased. He was in the military, he was a truck driver, he was a cop, he did all kinds of things in his life. Nothing stopped him until we lost my brother then my mom, now he's with them and I'm here with just my husband but I have the will and determination in me that he always had, I'm sick now but I am getting better, when I go back to work I will do the job I want to do, you keep up your determination and hard work... it's worth more than anything to yourself to prove people wrong. To see the look on some ones face when I do something and prove I've done it when they've thought it impossible... worth any blood sweat or tear I may have lost along the way... I'm including a pic of me w/my family- Olan Mills portrait with my dad and brother in their police uniforms...and also one of just my dad at his desk at the hanger... I've been a nurse... I worked with dad as an instructor when we started our own flight school... all kinds of things myself... My brother was an advanced EMT.. worked at CRMC EMS team, You do what ever you want, don't let anything hold you back!
the4ofus1993.jpg
daduniform.jpg

Hey steph9700, keep on keepin' on. Its how you recover and make your life after things like this that make you the person you are. You have friends and you are unbelievable. I was an officer in the Military too, and left to be a police officer again (I started out as a Military Police Officer and then onto sailing a Destroyer) because I had the calling, like your Dad.

Can anyone suggest a Police agency that will hire me??

Hello,

First i just want to say that all of you are amazing and just inspired me more to become what i want. I am hearing but love to socialize in the Deaf community. I am a college graduate with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, but also have a Minor in Deaf Studies!!!!! I am currently unemployed and in desperate need of help. I am from central IL. And if you know any agency that has a fairly large Deaf community nearby, please let me know!! Thanks :P

Danny B.

I'm very amazed by what I've read here. Very inspiring. Kudos to all of you.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Medically, I am deaf, however, I speak and hear very well. I am in the process of the police officer position with Miami-Dade, Broward Sheriff's Office, and Gainesville Police Department. I will update you as I go along the process. I have heard that there are several deaf police officers but have no idea where.
Hi, I'm a police explorer for the Lee County Sheriffs Department. Not far from Broward. I'm 15 and my father and grandfather are both completely deaf. They were not born deaf, but the hearing loss progressed to the max as they got older. Both family members have received cochlear implants and my dad can now hear almost everything. He listens to music, tv, etc. I sometimes think he can hear even better than I can! I wear hearing aids. My lifelong dream is to become a police officer that's all I want to do. Do you think I have a chance? By the time I'm 21 hopefully the electronics for deaf and hoh people will have been enhanced. But anyways if you could pass on some advice if you have any I would greatly appreciate it. Keep in touch. Good luck with becoming a deputy!

yes deaf police officers are used like any other officers, but they are trained to work with the deaf if are called to a situation most sit at deak

Understanding the deaf

i believe that deaf people can do any job if given the opportunity we are humans the only different between the hearing is we are deaf. we can use our minds and hands to communicate :wave:

Back